Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:06 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're moving to Austin very soon and would like to get a couple of big rain barrels (hopefully, 60 gallon minimum) to place under our gutters' downspouts so we can reuse the water in the garden. Rather than order them online, we always prefer to shop locally, so does anyone know of any places in Austin where we could buy some? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 AM

99 posts, read 421,788 times
Austin has a rain barrel purchase and rebate program. We have a couple that we've gotten through the program and like them very much. Here's a link for more info:
City of Austin - Rainbarrel Sales and Rebates

You still need your own diverter.

HTH

Old 12-03-2007, 02:47 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclAustin View Post
Austin has a rain barrel purchase and rebate program. We have a couple that we've gotten through the program and like them very much. Here's a link for more info:
City of Austin - Rainbarrel Sales and Rebates

You still need your own diverter.

HTH
Wow, that's great. I wasn't expecting the city itself to be selling them. I'll contact that agency when we get there.

Now a dumb followup question: What is a diverter?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 PM

99 posts, read 421,788 times
A diverter is essentially a valve that attaches to your gutter that diverts rainwater into the barrel. I have the kind that flip up when not in use, letting the rain flow through the gutter as usual. Flip it down and the rain runs into the barrel.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 AM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
If you're looking for something to collect water for gardening and you want something that will look pretty and not just functional, you should check out the Thai ong jars sold by Big Grass Bamboo. They hold 525 gallons and have spigots for attaching hoses, etc. You can see pics, etc., at Big Grass Bamboo. I know several people that have bought these and are happy with them and how they look in the garden plus no mosquitoes.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
AUS

2 posts, read 28,012 times
You can make your own rain / gutter diverter for free. This one (on the 3rd or 4th page) has a large inflow of water so that collection of the rainwater is sure to enter the 55 gallon barrels as quickly as possible (so it won't lose any rain!)
[url=http://www.rainharvester3.blogspot.com]Rain Harvest[/url]
[url=http://www.rainharvester4.blogspot.com]Directing rainwater into the 55 gallon barrels.[/url]

I see those "diverter parts" (actually a carpet roll core) all the time at home depot being thrown away!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 21,047 times
Default City out of barrels, I bought mine from Green Water

The city is out of barrels and no one knows where to get one. I bought 4 from green water and i'm very pleased with them. their website is [URL="http://www.austingreenwater.com"]www.austingreenwater.com[/URL] and they are located here in Austin. I connected 3 for larger collection purposes and the other is in the front yard. I've seen my water bill go down, and it's a great feeling to help save austin water!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan stapleton View Post
The city is out of barrels and no one knows where to get one. I bought 4 from green water and i'm very pleased with them. their website is www.austingreenwater.com and they are located here in Austin. I connected 3 for larger collection purposes and the other is in the front yard. I've seen my water bill go down, and it's a great feeling to help save austin water!

I tried the austin green link and it says it isn't a secure connection, something about an invalid security certificate.

Is Austin going to get more rain barrels?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
Try craigslist too. I'm not in Austin, but I found a local guy that sells plastic 55 gallon barrels for $5-10.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 PM

7 posts, read 37,932 times
Default Try Zinger hardware via Do it Best

I bought a couple of 54 gallon rain barrels last summer from Zinger Hardware on Anderson Lane. You have to order them online through the Do it Best Hardware site. I tried to purchase similar rain barrels from the City of Austin, but they would have been too big to fit in my car, plus they always seem to run out and it's difficult to get them when they are restocked. I am very happy with my purchase.

The rain barrels I have cost about $100 each and you can still receive the $30 rebate if you are a City of Austin water customer and can prove that you are using them on your property.

Here's the link - free shipping to locally owned Zinger Hardware. 54gallon Poly Rain Barrel by Achla Designs - More Lawn Ornaments at doitbest.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin