Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:48 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusParent View Post
I called APD today to get clarification on how trespassing is actually addressed. Here is what is needed to cite someone. It basically boils down to what will hold in court.

You have to have physical evidence, like a photo or video. A witness may be seen as biased in court. There has to be some form of notice of boundaries. A written warning by the police or by the property owner (with proof of delivery) is the best form. Again, it is hard to prove an oral warning in court. A fence is a softer form of notice, meaning that it only invokes trespassing in certain circumstances: evidence of criminal intent or evidence of a pattern of trespassing. Criminal intent can include someone's mere presence in your fence if it occurs at night time. A defendant can also claim in court that oral permission was granted or implied. A no-trespass sign posted on the fence is also a softer form of notice. A defendant can also claim in court that a sign wasn't present or visible.

Hope this helps.
I don't doubt that is what someone at APD told you but I don't see anywhere in the statute that one form of notice is "softer" or less binding than another.

If I climb my neighbor's fence - or remove it - and start wandering around his property, simply because I am nosy, bored, or want a closer view of his wife sunbathing, I am clearly committing criminal trespass.

How that is proved is another matter and would apply the same to all acts of criminal trespass regardless of if the notice was in the form of a fence or a written warning hand delivered by the Attorney General.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I don't see why you can't file a police report basically stating that someone came onto your property and caused damage to it.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
Would love to hear from the OP on what happened.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,811 times
why don't you call the contractor and share the problem they've created and give him a chance to make it right? if that don't work, have a detailed face to face with your neighbor n have him sign your request list -- provide him a copy - let him prove what kind of person he is before jumping to conclusions

Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
All I can add (which isn't much) is that it doesn't sound like your neighbor is confrontational or beligerant at this point, so that is good. It sounds like he may be willing to right things w/o law enforcement, so while you should document things - and let him know in a friendly way that you are, to protect your rights - I would try to work it out on a 1 on 1 level first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: