Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times

Advertisements

Any magazine of publication that Austin is a "Gay friendly" city is once again based upon the cities knowledge of a good number of the gay population being "well to do". So they try to promote Austin as gay friendly to encourage more growth in the high end places like downtown and central austin. The suburbs are downright scarey for gays. (and anyone who doesn't own a gun)

Remember all, YOUR tax dollars are at work here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Just curious, so those who don't already know of your previous postings here on ACD can judge your sentiments fairly - what do you base that opinion on? Your experiences as a straight man who has said that he avoids going into Austin as much as possible? The many gay-based magazines that consistently give Austin a high rating as being friendly to gays? The overwhelming majority of gay posters here who say that Austin is friendly to gays? The overwhelming majority of straight posters here who say that Austin is friendly to gays? I'm wondering what fuels your statement that Austin isn't friendly to gays, other than it being just another thread that you can use to bash Austin with no real experience or expertise on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
As usual, OP, read eepstein's prior posts to get a good feel for his perception of Austin in general, not just in how gay-friendly it is. And, really, listen to the Austinites on C-D who self-identify as gay and what they have to say about it (though if you hear a LOT of negativity, not just a balance, you might want to back-check even their posts for a reality check).

That's always a good thing to do, regardless, I've found, when someone is badmouthing a place or a person or a race or a sexual orientation, come to think about it. Gives a bit of perspective.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Any magazine of publication that Austin is a "Gay friendly" city is once again based upon the cities knowledge of a good number of the gay population being "well to do". So they try to promote Austin as gay friendly to encourage more growth in the high end places like downtown and central austin. The suburbs are downright scarey for gays. (and anyone who doesn't own a gun)

So a gay magazine is willing to risk its credibility with its readerss to suck up to the city of Austin? Of course you never show that the city is actually doing that.

And why would someone that doesn't own a gun not want to live in the suburbs? The suburbs of Austin are extremely safe - for gun owners and non-gun owners.

How would anyone know if someone owns a gun or not? Can you tell by looking at them or their home?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post

I really should just ignore this comment. But I'll go against my better judgement for a second.

Can you please show us evidence of gays being "gunned down" in the suburbs of Austin? Sounds like if that were happening it'd be pretty big news and people would be discussing it here on C-D.

Funny, it seems that most of the crime in Austin does happen in parts of the central core of the city. Pretty sure the suburbs are statistically safer areas than "downtown."

To me it seems that your comments are just trying to discourage gay people from moving to Austin. Sorry Mr. Eepstein, we're coming to Austin and making it our home whether you like it or not. And I hope that when I get there I will do more to contribute to keeping Austin a fantastic place than you ever did.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
My goal is NOT to try to discourage people from moving to Austin. I simply have my opinions about what Austin is, and how many other places have more to offer. If you break down all of what Austin has/doesn't have, there are many other cities out there that are overall a better place to be. Obviously people move to Austin everyday, that's why you have 1.5 mil living in an infastructure that could barely handle 750K!!

No gays have been gunned down in the suburbs, and YES they tend to be safer overall. The FACTS remain that the suburbs of Austin are extremely conservative and republican. Really no different from towns like Lufkin or Tyler. It is a well known fact that conservative people in Texas, 1.) tend to own guns 2.) Tend to not accept homosexuals 3.) Tend to not care about the environment 4.) Tend to follow Sarah Of course, there are exceptions out there, but overall, i think i'm pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
I really should just ignore this comment. But I'll go against my better judgement for a second.

Can you please show us evidence of gays being "gunned down" in the suburbs of Austin? Sounds like if that were happening it'd be pretty big news and people would be discussing it here on C-D.

Funny, it seems that most of the crime in Austin does happen in parts of the central core of the city. Pretty sure the suburbs are statistically safer areas than "downtown."

To me it seems that your comments are just trying to discourage gay people from moving to Austin. Sorry Mr. Eepstein, we're coming to Austin and making it our home whether you like it or not. And I hope that when I get there I will do more to contribute to keeping Austin a fantastic place than you ever did.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Should someone not live in suburbs if they don't own a gun? Are their lives in danger? Will their neighbors not like them if they don't own a gun?

In 12+ years of living outside the city limits of Austin, no one has ever asked me about guns, nor have I asked them.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Should someone not live in suburbs if they don't own a gun? Are their lives in danger? Will their neighbors not like them if they don't own a gun?

In 12+ years of living outside the city limits of Austin, no one has ever asked me about guns, nor have I asked them.
I believe that TXDOT is investigating putting up new toll readers that can sense NRA tags as well as toll tags since all the existing toll roads lead into/out of the burbs. They are also considering changing their normal camera detection to automatically take a picture of the license and driver of any car that has any sort of rainbow emblem and then use it to post onto the large automated highway signs so that all the conservatives know if any of "those people" are in the area.

They're still a bit undecided about what to do if both an NRA tag and rainbow sticker are encountered.

Last edited by austinnerd; 10-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: fix some bad typos

Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
i believe that txdot is investigating putting up new toll readers that can sense nra tags as well as toll tags since all the exsiting toll roads lead into/out of the burbs. I are also considering changing their normal camera detection to automatically take a picture of the license and driver of any car that has any sort of rainbow emblem and then use it to post onto the large automated highway signs so that all the conservatives know if any of "those people" are in the area.

There still a bit undecided about what to do if both an nra tag and rainbow sticker are encountered.
:d

Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,059 times
I don't understand why gay people need to make such a big fuss about how others look at them. I am really angry at how they treated Carrie Prejean, Miss California, in 2009!!!! Basically, there are 6,873,200,000 people on this planet. Who cares!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
I don't understand why gay people need to make such a big fuss about how others look at them. I am really angry at how they treated Carrie Prejean, Miss California, in 2009!!!! Basically, there are 6,873,200,000 people on this planet. Who cares!
If you think gay people put up a "big fuss" about how others "look" at them, you're clueless. It's about so much more. And, oh yeah, Prejean deserved it.

Anyways, I find it funny how gays are apparently attracted to HEB. Does that make HEB the gayest grocery store in Texas? Whole Foods is obviously the hippest, but I think the gayest is HEB.

No rainbow flags waving around here, except maybe on 4th St, which probably isn't the best place for a family. It sounds like the OP is looking for San Francisco's Castro, which can only be found in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin