Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:53 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times

Advertisements

how many people from CA move to Austin? How many stay for good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 06:00 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
how many people from CA move to Austin? How many stay for good?
Austin population increased 50% from 1990-2000. It increased well over 100% from 1980-2000. It is pretty safe to say that most people who live in Austin aren't from here, but I can't tell you how many are from California except to say: "quite a lot."

http://www.austin-chamber.org/DoBusiness/GreaterAustinProfile/population.html (broken link)

Old 12-14-2006, 06:56 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
I just read an article that stated that for the first time in MANY years, more Californians moved OUT of the state than there were newcomers arriving.

So as AustinGuy said...quite a lot. Once you leave the California real estate market, it is very, very hard to re-enter it, unless you get a windfall or win the lottery.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 AM

55 posts, read 224,967 times
I think that the heat chases many people out-it is unbearable in the summer! This last summer was so bad, and we have a draugt too so that makes it even worse.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Linda, on another thread you say you have lived here for 30 years. And on this thread you are saying that the heat is chasing many people out of Austin. Do we live in the same city? I don't see very many people moving out but a whole lot of them moving in!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:33 AM

55 posts, read 224,967 times
Well Austin Traveler that is because many people love the heat for a couple of years. I have known many people who have come to Austin from CA, Michigan and other places at first they love it! But he heat combined with the humidity and allergies I think make it unbearable. A good friend of mine moved to Arizona and loves it even though it is hotter, she said that is was because of the humidity and allergies.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaluck View Post
Well Austin Traveler that is because many people love the heat for a couple of years. I have known many people who have come to Austin from CA, Michigan and other places at first they love it! But he heat combined with the humidity and allergies I think make it unbearable. A good friend of mine moved to Arizona and loves it even though it is hotter, she said that is was because of the humidity and allergies.
Hopefully your friend doesn't get allergies in Arizona. Is he/she in Phoenix? My husband's allergies were horrible there (he is allergic to the palo verde tree, and it took 3 years to acquire) and actually prompted our move in part. so far he is much better here. it really depends on what folks are allergic to. In Phoenix, there is so little rain that a lot of the particulates never get blown out of the air, and that can make things worse for people.

Having lived in both places (granted, I haven't lived through a summer here but grew up in the Midwest where the humidity is very similar) I would never pick Arizona over Austin. I don't care what people say, the "dry heat" doesn't make a whit of difference when it's 115 degrees and you walk outside and it feels like a hot blow dryer blowing in your face. Ick. At least you can leave the house here at 7 a.m. in the summer and not feel like you are frying. Maybe you feel wet, but not frying.

We're staying here!

Old 12-15-2006, 11:12 AM

122 posts, read 180,286 times
Looked in my books and i had 21 people in 2001 - 2003 that moved from ca to Texas that bought a house. Just sent out x-mas cards and 5 have moved back to ca and i know 3 of those 5 moved back for work ie got a better job.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:28 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times
I love Austin, except for the weather. I come to Austin as long as its not in the summer. Parts of L.A. can get up to 115 in the summer. When its 115 and dry you can not go outside either.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
I'm a native of San Diego, who came to Austin (for school) in the early 80's and stayed (with a few brief side trips) for ~15 years.

Why did I finally leave?

The heat was definitely part of it. I wanted to experience four seasons.

The other factor was the destruction of the natural beauty of the place. I'm a mountain biker and a trail-runner. As more and more Mc Mansions were built on the hillsides, the trails started to disappear.

The final straw happened at a party one night. I recall a woman talking about how "delighted" she was that Austin was "finally starting to feel more like Dallas".

My SO and I made plans, that night, to leave. It wasn't so much that ~some~ people would feel that way, but that ~those people~ were starting to invade our social circle, that was sooooo disturbing.

*Sigh* I still do miss parts of Austin. And it is a GREAT place for many people (perhaps too many). Just no longer right for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin