Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 AM

6 posts, read 17,423 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are relocating from the UK in October. My Husband will be working at Harris Branch on Highway 290. I have been researching the different areas in Austin and keep reading about the traffic! Steiner Ranch has been recommended by the relocation agents, also Round Rock. We have two sons aged 2 and 4 so will be looking for parks, good schools, somewhere that is fun to live. Circle C looks good but I am concerned about the commute to work for my Husband. We like to use public transport as well but that does not look very easy in Austin (although I have read about the new rail line opening going North). Any ideas appreciated, many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Welcome. Can not help ya to much since I just moved here myself. Visited london a few times and I can tell ya that public transportation is nowhere near the UK level. We do live on the rail line starting next year so hope that will help us cause it goes to my husbands work. Welcome and hope you get some answers that you need!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 AM

55 posts, read 174,213 times
Default More of us the way

Hi Charlie_G.

My husband and I and our two kids 4.5 and 2,5 are also moving to Austin from the UK (London) early in 2008. We have set our sights on zip 78750 - came highly recommended (but I have no idea where that is in relation to your hubby's work).

I also know another couple moving in a couple of weeks time and one family recently arrived... I am sure both will be along to say hi to you...

AS far as advice, you will get alot of advice form this very helpful forum if you are more specfic are say how much money you are wanted to spend.
Hope your move goes well.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Ok well from mapquest it looks like Harris branch and 290 are over on the Southeastern side of the city ( I am in Leander). I would think that a commute from Stiener Ranch and Circle C might be a bit much if that is true. I would look at housing in the Round Rock area or Pflugerville area. From the research that I did before moving to Leander cause hubby works on NW side of town, Round Rock (RR) seemed to have the best schools (got a 7 yr old and 4 yr old) and has a great park system,we went to the Dell Diamond the other night to watch the local baseball team and I was impressed with all the kid stuff there. I know there are a couple of master planned subdivisions over there (amienties like Circle c and Steiner has.... well not the big lake ). Both place RR and Pflugerville seem really kid oriented and have things to do. In a nod to the anti suburb people on the board its not Austin proper but as a parent its a lot easier to live in a place that has everything in one area than have to do it piece by piece esp when you are new to town and don't have a network of friends! The neighborhood pool is a good place for the kids to meet kids and mom to have adult interaction! I would get in contact with a good relocation realtor here and tell them your needs and see what they said. I really loved the lady who helped us find our realtor and if you PM I can send you her name and number.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:08 AM

260 posts, read 1,331,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_g View Post
Hello, We are relocating from the UK in October. My Husband will be working at Harris Branch on Highway 290. I have been researching the different areas in Austin and keep reading about the traffic! Steiner Ranch has been recommended by the relocation agents, also Round Rock. We have two sons aged 2 and 4 so will be looking for parks, good schools, somewhere that is fun to live. Circle C looks good but I am concerned about the commute to work for my Husband. We like to use public transport as well but that does not look very easy in Austin (although I have read about the new rail line opening going North). Any ideas appreciated, many thanks
Circle C to Harris Branch and 290 is actually not that bad because you bypass both Mopac and I-35 which are the two most congested roads during rush hour. You just take 71 east to 183 and then 290 and it's done.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
We live just north of Circle C (Legend Oaks) and my wife commutes to that general area. The drive is not bad at all, especially as they have now completed most of Ben White. Coming from Steiner would be a bit rough, I am guessing, but not sure, since I don't drive it regularly.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
If you go into old settlers park, there is a large fishing pond. I know it's not lake travis, but... hey..nice to bring kids there just to waste some time. There is also a water park there.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
I agree with the other posters that a commute from Steiner to Harris Branch would be really icky. I'd focus on the other areas folks have suggested. Good luck and welcome!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 17,423 times
Thanks so much for all your thoughts. We are going to keep an open mind until we come over in October and have a good look around.
Also thanks for the welcome. We are very much looking forward to living in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin