Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 PM

307 posts, read 721,925 times

Advertisements

Austin, Texas Leads the Nation in Job Growth - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Nice story.
Especially what they say at the very end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,530 times
I, too, appreciated Katie Couric's kind words about our city. However, (nitpicking) I didn't like the way the reporter made it seem like it was 'easier' to get a job here. I have a contact who is an HR manager who recently received over 300 resumes for a copier position!

Austin is not the land of plentiful jobs; rather, it is a place that is suffering less than most cities. I fear for the newly-formed caravans for half-cocked dreamers and desperately unemployed coming to Austin with no backup plan. (Along with the cultural adjustment to moving to Texas for out-of-state transplants) I can see the 'I'm disappointed' posts appearing daily on City-Data.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:41 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Most people really are smart enough to know that it is hard to find jobs anywhere, and understand that easier does not mean easy.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Most people really are smart enough to know that it is hard to find jobs anywhere, and understand that easier does not mean easy.
I disagree with that statement. You are assuming that everyone comes from a similar background of understanding such as yourself. The CBS news report did not evoke the complex sentiments you are expressing.

You are also assuming alot out of people you do not know. [Not knowing your personal history and job situation] I wouldn't fathom to guess how "most people" would respond. What I can tell is the image of Austin being presented. And I don't believe that somewhat 'skewed' messaging helps anyone.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 01-07-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,689 times
Austin as an "entire community devoted to job creation" is a bit of a stretch.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
You are also assuming alot out of people you do not know
Ah, but so are you . If people were to really believe the media hype w/o any personal 'filtering' of the story, we would have about 10 million people camped out in the city limit waiting for their easy job :P. People may check into Austin because they hear via the media that there are jobs here, but very few people will move w/o vetting the information for accuracy and/or establishing applicability to their own situation.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 AM

109 posts, read 232,625 times
There have been a lot of threads on this forum about people who can't get jobs because they're black, white, old, young, fat, hairy, etc. And since this forum represents only a small slice of the community, I'd say there are a LOT of people who don't understand how difficult it is to get a job right now and are assuming their struggles are related to something other than the recession.

But either way, I don't think many people younger than 50 really pay attention to what TV news says. And people over 50 are a lot less likely to just pick up and leave at the moment.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,274 times
It didnt sound like a news story it sounded like an infomercial. All the foreclosures in the area arent because these people just landed a great new job in the land of job creation. Also the people who pack up and come to the land paved in golden jobs are soon going to be competing with highly educated ex-State employees with deep Texas roots and heavy connections in town.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollard View Post
Austin, Texas Leads the Nation in Job Growth - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Nice story.
Especially what they say at the very end.
B*llocks.

300+ resumes (job boards, Texas Work Force board, company web sites), walked in applications, posting my resume with temp agencies, applying for positions ranging from Wal-Greens, HEB, Target, Wal-Mart, clerical support, data entry, laundry room attendant, car wash attendant, among so many other things, and guess how many people have called me back? Two. I've had two interviews over the last six months and both were, in their words, "hesitant" to offer me employment because I don't own a car and must rely on the disaster which is Capital Metro. Strikingly contradictory for a city which claims it's so green that it is a mark against you if rely on public transportation. Quite frankly even if I could afford a vehicle I'd rather not.

I'm not a "transplant". I'm from here. I have my useless university diploma, a somewhat decent grasp of the English language (I'm quite capable of distinguishing between their, they're, there, and know that the possessive its is not the same the contraction, in other words, I have a brain, but it's apparently not good enough to be used in any of Austin's esteemed low-wage employment opportunities), I'm inquisitive, energetic, and do good work...all of which means nothing in Austin. The jobs which do exist here (bar tending, waitressing) I'm told I have no experience, I know, I've tried to apply for them as well and have even gone so far as to beg for for the chance to prove myself, because that's all I want is one d*mn chance. I don't claim I am being denied opportunities because of my race, gender, or what have you. I had, until now, been vicious in my commitment to pressing on until someone realized that I was worth the bet. But not any more. I'm more depressed than I've ever been. Austin has sucked me dry and the only thing I wake up with is a sense of dread that I have to face another day here. I'm demoralized, own nothing, feel like nothing, and just want it all to be done with. False hope and dumb optimism do not put money in your bank account.

So sure, come on down to this "mecca" of Austin, Texas and have a stab at this fabulous job creation. Once the state budget ax falls it will be that much more fabulous. More people to compete with. Good luck to any who come here, you're going to need it.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,042 times
Gee, this story really makes me want to move to Austin so I can find a job in the promised land!

Oh, wait, I already live here and this story is a huge puff piece which mostly seems to have been orchestrated by the BazaarVoice PR department and the Austin Chamber of Commerce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: