Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,510 times

Advertisements

My elderly parents are looking to move into a smaller home or an elderly community home in Austin, and I am helping them, but I don't know the first thing about where to look and what the best places would be. I thought about talking to a moving company and I found one that seems to cater to the elderly. It's called Heavenly Caregivers and their website is www.heavenlycaregivers.com. Has anyone heard of them or used them before? I would like to get some advice on if it would be worth it to use a service like this or just do it on my own. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneD View Post
My elderly parents are looking to move into a smaller home or an elderly community home in Austin, and I am helping them, but I don't know the first thing about where to look and what the best places would be. I thought about talking to a moving company and I found one that seems to cater to the elderly. It's called Heavenly Caregivers and their website is Senior Care Austin | In Home Care Austin | Home Health Care Austin. Has anyone heard of them or used them before? I would like to get some advice on if it would be worth it to use a service like this or just do it on my own. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Lynne, I would first suggest amassing a support group...family first, then friends and possibly current neighbors. We moved here to help take care of moving our 89 year old aunt(she was on her own for about four years). She had lived in her home for 35 years and began hoarding during the last few years. Clearing out the clutter was a daunting task. That's one place the support group can help. Culling will sap your energy and place a great mental strain on anyone who can't 'step away' from time to time. It's great to have some fresh eyes to look at the situation when it seems so overwhelming; never mind the physical toll it can take on just one or two people.

Do you want 'outsiders' to handle the task at hand? Will your parents be comfortable with that? Are there items of value that should be distributed among family members or sold or donated? I don't think our aunt kept 10% of her belongings, probably closer to 5% if you consider furniture. Your parents situation may be different; but, you should be prepared for quite a journey...in many ways, it can be satisfying...especially if your parents move to a safer, more comfortable place.

I'm not familiar with the business you mentioned. They might be experts; but, remember...they are 'outsiders'. DW is actually a home 're-designer' and considered specializing in just the situation you face--whether 'downsizing' in the current home or 'reducing' in order to move to a much smaller residence. We honestly didn't feel the income would be worth the emotional investment, once we saw how tough it was with a family member.

Good luck with your journey. If I can help with any of our personal experiences, please let me know. My best to you and your parents.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM

291 posts, read 800,755 times
You might get some help from the Caregiver Resource Center at Austin Groups for the Elderly 512-451-4611 or the Area Agency on Aging TEL: (512) 916-6062
TOLL FREE: 888-622-9111.

You might want to consider some independent living communities, e.g., the Clairmont on McNeil or Buckner Villas on Braker (and there are many others, these are just what come to mind) - or you might want to look at some assisted living facilities which have separate apartments and the residents can live independently or get assistance if and when needed.

I know the Area Agency on Aging has a list of assisted living facilities - but I don't know if they have independent living senior communities.

You could also investigate Sun City in Georgetown or Longhorn Village near Steiner Ranch on 620.

I found some information on independent living communities in Austin on google Austin Senior Living - Senior Housing in Austin, TX is Here

Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Hi Lynne,
My mom was in the Wesleyan at Estrella in Georgetown for several years. It is an independent living place and they are building an assisted living home on the same grounds. It is a good place, with good facilities (the building is about 3 years old) and much less expensive than most independent living homes, as it is supported by the Methodist Church. (A couple of years ago I looked around in the Austin area for independent living places that were closer to Lakeway, but all the ones I found in Austin were very costly, so she stayed at the Wesleyan.) But eventually, my mom became substantially blind and was progressing with dementia, and really needed assisted living, so in August we moved her to an assisted living place close to my sister and I in Lakeway called Vista Oaks. I am there most days, and I am very impressed with it. When we moved her, we were going to use the folks you spoke of (Heavenly Movers), but we decided instead to just have family do it. We rented a pickup truck from Home Depot. She didn't have much stuff, so it took us 2 trips from Georgetown to Lakeway. It worked out great, and I think saved us a lot. Your parents, however, may have more to move. Depending on what your parents need, some of those resources others have given might be helpful. Good luck. I know these kinds of transitions are stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin