Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM

172 posts, read 411,409 times

Advertisements

I generally consider the area below to be all of westlake when i refer To Westlake in General. So do a lot of people i know. They consider the Whole Eanes or area west of 360 in general to about senna hills to be westlake.
Anyhow my point is can the area expand much?

below is a map of the Eanes district

Google Image Result for http://www.austinmodernliving.com/Eanes-ISD-map-sm.jpg

As the city expands. But mostly in the North, Northeast and Eastside in general. i do not imagine to many people buying 700k to 1.5 million homes on average. but with that said where else can they expand?

besides between senna hills and Bella Lago?

what about the area Near "wild Basin Highlands?

If you look on Say Google Maps on Map. You can see a lot of land, open right above the Edge of Wild Basin Wilderness Park. (below)

http://maps.google.com/

Right below say Ayers Dr there is a lot of room for possibly what 20-35 new homes?

im just asking this, because there are only 2 areas in the Eanes area i can think were they can expand. And with that Said, Westlake HS as it stands is very very large, with a large # of students. i am not sure what the current # of students is, but 1 can only imagine that if expansion does happen Westlake High School will become to crowded right?

I do know that a lot of Parents in the Eanes Area send there kids to Private schools. but what is the % like half? or what?

so is there a plan for a New EANES HS anytime in the new future? or Do they not really want to have any more expansions as it might mean a new need for a new HS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Westlake has no interest in a 2nd HS because it would dilute the athletics program.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I answered a similar post of yours recently.

But I don't really understand what you are after. Do you want to know if the communities served by Eanes ISD can grow? School districts generally don't expand their boundaries. The only add campuses if required by increasing enrollment. I suppose there is land for development on Bee Caves Rd. - but I don't know who owns it and what the plans are. Not much visible activity.

Eanes' student enrollment is barely growing. Although there are new homes being built in Eanes, many of the subdivisions are fully built out, and the families that live there do not have young children. In other words the birth rate in Eanes is not high. And not many young families are moving into the district because they can't afford to.

Eanes is unlikely to build another high school, ever. The district probably has demographic data that predicts the maximum number of high school students the district could have, and it is probably not much higher than it is today. Remember - it costs $100M+ to build a high school these days. And Eanes taxpayers showed in November by defeating three bond proposals that they aren't in the mood for more taxes.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Westlake has no interest in a 2nd HS because it would dilute the athletics program.
Way overblown. When Eanes voters rejected a 2nd high school many years ago this was often cited as a big reason NOT to add a high school. Realistically it was defeated because it just wasn't needed. It was much cheaper to expand WHS and the data has proven it was the right decision (at least financially).

Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
All of the above are correct; Westlake has little to no interest in a 2nd high school. In addition to being unnecessary and a poor use of finances, it would also potentially hurt the athletics program (something that has historically been very popular at Westlake.) Additionally, there was the concern that the community didn't want to be split in half, nor the competition that would ensue between the two high schools.

Basically, it ain't broke and the community is happy with it, so there's no reason to change things, particularly not with the huge price tag that would be required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: