Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM

97 posts, read 431,853 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on how the Jr. High and High school's in the River Place, Steiner Ranch school systems stack up with respect to: 1) music programs, and 2) athletic programs?

My child is WAAAAYYYY to young at this point to know for sure what sort of interests he'll want to pursue once he gets older, but one thing I am very thankful for in my childhood was that I lived in a school system that poured TONS of resources into both the music/drama AND athletic programs, giving students a great variety of extra-curricular activities from which to choose.

Further, does anyone have 1st-hand knowledge of whether students can legitimately be active in BOTH? It seems that you're occasionally forced to pick one or the other due to the fact that they are frequently scheduled to "practice" at the same time.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what the schools in this district have to offer in both arenas.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
Leander ISD does a great job with its extra-curricular activities.

Middle school choices are limited by schedule (you have to choose between band, choir, art or language). You can do any of those along with athletics because athletics or dance takes place during the child's PE class (with extra practices before or after school, depending on the campus) Middle school bands don't march or perform at sporting events so that won't cause a conflict.

Just some random info : the way band classes are organized produce amazing results (kids are in class by instrument and at least at LMS, had 3 or 4 band directors each specializing in different instruments teaching the classes). Several sports and activities are "no-cut" in middle school which means the child can sign up for that class and be on the team (football, dance team, cheerleading, cross country--I think). Some teams you have to try out for (girls and boys basketball, track--I think, girls volleyball)

I don't know about high school because my kids haven't been in sports or band after middle school.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
Steiner & River Place kids go to Cedar Park High School for now, but a new one will open up in 2010.

add: You're right three_fish, its Leander ISD.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-25-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 AM
say

29 posts, read 180,861 times
If you want both musical (Orchestra) and athletic programs then move to EANES. WestLake HS has high reputation for both, (and of course academically).

Not only having conflict schedule sometimes ( recital, game days, out of city trips for competition, ...), but also burden your child's shoulder with a lots of works and practices. Normally, orchestra program requires to practice from 45min to 1hr a day outside of class. Athletes practices normally for 1 or 2 hours either in the early morning (before school) or after school.

UT has very good musical programs for outside. You can introduce your kid early with String or Piano program at UT. Kids are taught by graduate students majored in Music.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
I'll ask my neighbor about the music programs at CPHS. Her son is in band there.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:36 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,442 times
Football is KING here......what else would you like to know about Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin