Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,206 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm strongly considering moving from Minnesota to Austin in about a month or so. Pretty terrified about leaving friends and family and doing this by myself so I hope it will be ok.

Can anyone recommend a good/ active area to look into down there? I LOVE the lakes here in MN and I know there are a few in Austin, but also want an exciting area for a single male where I can be out and meet people. Would Downtown be a good place? Around one of the lakes?

Any and all info is very much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
It really depends where you are going to be working. What field are you in? The traffic is a big problem in Austin so you don't want to get an apartment south of town, then find out that your job is in north Austin. It'll be an ugly commute every day.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM

171 posts, read 422,605 times
Also, what activities do you like to do at the lakes? Kayaking and fishing point to slightly different areas of town, as each of the lakes has something different to offer.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
One thing to consider about the whole job thing, while you may get to town and work in one location, if you stick around for a while (and depending on your occupation/industry/personal preferences) then you may end up working in lots of different places. I know that since I moved to Austin all those many moons ago I've worked: SW Austin (2x), NE Austin, North Central Austin, and downtown.

In the case of the OP, I'd say that if you can afford it, live downtown (or just south of downtown). You'll be central and have commuting flexibility (and possibly a reverse commute, though that really depends), be close to Lady Bird Lake, be close to all the clubs and events downtown (SXSW whew!), etc, etc.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
If I was single and 26 I'd live downtown in one of those highrises, no doubts about it. You only live once, and this is one of the best places in the US for a young single male. Anywhere downtown or SoCo would put you close to Town Lake for kayaking. If you are more interested in boating, then somewhere west would be better, closer to Lake Austin or Travis.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Just so you know. http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ages-20-a.html

Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM

77 posts, read 219,294 times
You might look into living near the University, in the areas directly west and north of campus. Those areas have some of the highest density of college-age people in Austin, who generally live in apartments and condos. I lived in West Campus for a number of years and it was moderately noisy at times but tolerable for the most part. Some say it has a bit of party atmosphere but I did not find it to be the sort of "animal house" that gets portrayed, even though I lived two doors down from a frat house. You may already know this, but UT football is a big draw, and you can easily walk to the stadium from West Campus.

You could live in a downtown hi-rise condo, but the ones I've seen have been insanely expensive, like around $1mil and up. I don't know of too many 26-year old that can afford that. I don't have much experience with the lakes, but my general impression is that few younger people live out there. I think most younger people just drive out there with their power-boats hitched, it's not really far. On busy weekends you can wait a while to get your boat launched.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 PM

137 posts, read 454,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
It really depends where you are going to be working. What field are you in? The traffic is a big problem in Austin so you don't want to get an apartment south of town, then find out that your job is in north Austin. It'll be an ugly commute every day.
I'm considering this exact scenario. I want to live south of downtown, but my job would be in the Arboretum area. Would this be a terrible commute?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcrocker View Post
I'm considering this exact scenario. I want to live south of downtown, but my job would be in the Arboretum area. Would this be a terrible commute?
Yes its bad during rush hour. Not bad at all other times of the day. The neighborhoods West of the Arboretum are very nice, you may want to look at them.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

327 posts, read 766,778 times
I'm 26 as well and moving to Au... I mean, Killeen/Harker Heights, but I wish I were moving to Austin! I'm considering moving there in 6 months time (or more) and doing the crazy 1-hr+ commute to Killeen because I love it there so much.

Downtown Austin at night on the weekend is poppin'. You'll like it; I'm sure. It's best to have some buddies to go with though. I wasn't there long enough to explore all of the lakes and such that they have to offer so I can't comment on that. What kind of music are you into? That'd help to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin