Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times

Advertisements

I am a home buyer in Austin with new home construction. Please recommend any licensed structural engineer and home inspector with whose services you had good results.
I would like to hire someone who is thorough and service-oriented.

Service sought for phases in new home construction :

1) Pre-Pour foundation inspection - by Structural Engineer

2) Pre-Drywall inspection - by Home Inspector

3) Final walkthrough inspection - by Home Inspector

Also, did you have your home inspector/structural engineer participate in the pre-construction and pre-drywall meetings with your builder ? Is it fruitful.

You can also send Direct messages to me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindesi View Post
I am a home buyer in Austin with new home construction. Please recommend any licensed structural engineer and home inspector with whose services you had good results.
I would like to hire someone who is thorough and service-oriented.

Service sought for phases in new home construction :

1) Pre-Pour foundation inspection - by Structural Engineer

2) Pre-Drywall inspection - by Home Inspector

3) Final walkthrough inspection - by Home Inspector

Also, did you have your home inspector/structural engineer participate in the pre-construction and pre-drywall meetings with your builder ? Is it fruitful.

You can also send Direct messages to me.

Thanks
Give Mike Boyett a call. He is from Capital City Inspections, 512-577-2579. I've known Mike for awhile now and he is a very intelligent Inspector and has a high degree of integrity! He can help square you away.

You can have an Engineer attend the pre-construction meeting but it is obviously an expense. You would need to define their role at the meeting. Your new home should be engineered, and a stamped Engineer/Architect plan used and followed. About the only thing I could see the Engineer attending for is to answer your questions as an independent source. If you were using the Engineer's services for any of the phases then the Engineer would benefit from being able to obtain and/or review plans for their inspections.

When you reach the pre-drywall stage any changes to plans should already have been approved, as needed, by an Engineer or Architect. If you are keeping up with the build then anything major you should already be aware of and can use the services of the Engineer to verify or validate the changes. Having someone at the actual pre-drywall meeting also would be an expense that might not yield any real beneficial results. The Inspector performing the pre-drywall inspection will call out what they see and if you are not aware of any significant changes that might have been pointed out then you can approach the builder with your questions.

I would pick your Inspector for the pre-drywall and final inspections now and make sure the builder is not going to object to any of the inspections you want performed. You might also approach the builder about potential spot inspections by your own Inspectors if you feel the need arises. When you pick your Engineer and Inspectors have at least two of each in the event one of them is not available for a potential short notice by the builder that the inspections can be performed on their scheduled times.

Good luck on the home build and keep us all updated on the progress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin