Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 19,985 times

Advertisements

I'm shooting to train for the 2012 Austin Marathon, and was wondering if anyone had ever trained with USA Fit Austin (USA Fit :: Austin :: Marathon and Half Marathon Training Programs). Since I'll be new to the area, the social aspect of team training appeals to me.

Does anyone have any additional or alternate recommendations?

Also, related questions:

1) We're going to be moving to Round Rock, near the intersection of Ranch Road 1431 and CR 175/ Sam Bass Road. Both of those streets seemed to me (from the times we were there househunting) to be fairly busy, high-speed streets with no sidewalks to speak of, and I was wondering how bad/ dangerous they were to run near. I may have to go on one or both of those roads for a little while to pick up the mileage I need for training, but it's by no means my first preference.

2) What are some good parks to run in if you're looking to do distances in the 10-15 mile range?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:54 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
You're incredibly close to the Brushy Creek trail. I believe it starts somewhere around Hairy Man Rd. I think that would be perfect for what you're planning to do.

Brushy Creek Trail

Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I drive those streets almost every day and they are very dangerous for runners. North of 1431 on Sam Bass about a half mile leads to Williamson County Regional Park where there is a very small trail system along with a nice running track (for speedwork days).

Brushy Creek Trail is definitely a good trail that is nearby with a mix of unpaved and paved terrain with restrooms along the way. Since they extended it East of Parmer now, it could actually work for marathon training pretty nicely. A very small part of it is shaded.

It's definitely tough to find safe roads where you'll be. Parmer, especially North of 1431 isn't bad for cyclists, but it might work for running in a pinch if you really want to run on a road. The cars move too fast on it for my tastes.

The closest true running store is just South of Avery Ranch on Parmer Road, Hill Country Running Company. That would probably be a good place to get information on running/training clubs.

Hill Country Running Company Hours and Location

RunTex is the other big running store in the Austin area. The closest location is Georgetown, but it's a very small store. However, that would be another good source of current information. Georgetown also has a pretty nice trail to run on that extends all the way across town.

RunTex

http://parks.georgetown.org/hike-bike-trails/

Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
RunTex used to partner with AustinFit, which was associated with a national organization, so I assume that it is the same one you are listing. Not sure if RunTex and AustinFit have parted ways or not...if they have, I am sure RunTex has its own training program.

How serious are you? Targeting 4 hours or under, or just finish? Or something faster yet? Texas Iron has some more serious athletes in it, but they might have some more casual, as well.

The AustinFit program pretty much put you on the long runs on the weekend, and a buddy and I would go down to Town Lake. It is really nice in that you have lots of people to watch and distract you, and all the cross bridges give you lots of options. The full lap is around 10 miles, although I am not sure if they have changed up the southeast part of the loop. The during-the-week runs I actually ran back and forth on a two mile stretch of road near my house. I ended up running about three nights a week, 8 miles each time, so two laps on the road did the trick. I know it sounds a bit boring (and occasionally I varied it a bit), but it helps to measure your progress and pacing.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Trainwreck20 - Really just targeting finish. I did my first half timed race a few weeks ago in 2:07:04. I'd be ecstatic to double that for the full, but really, not being the last guy to finish would be just fine.

Calel - Thanks for the tips re: Brushy Creek trail - that may work out well.

Mark311 - Thanks for the tips. Your description of the road tracks pretty well with my initial impression.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
I run Brushy Creek trail a lot it is a great place to run. a little over 6 miles from end to end.

Rogue Running is openning up a new shop next door to HEB on 1431 and Parmer. They will probably do training as well. There is also a group that trains out of the YMCA on 183 on the far end of the trail.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 AM

OK, related newbie question - where is the actual start of the Brushy Creek trail and is there parking there? I tried to correlate the map on the Williamson County website with a Google Map, and it's not remotely clear. I see Creekside Park, but there's about a one mile stretch leading up to Creekside Park east of Great Oaks Road, but on Google Maps, there's nothing there.

Here's the map I'm looking at:

http://www.wilco.org/Portals/0/MapSide3.pdf

Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
hehe...you are about to train for a marathon...there is no beginning or end, just keep running.......

Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmon View Post
OK, related newbie question - where is the actual start of the Brushy Creek trail and is there parking there? I tried to correlate the map on the Williamson County website with a Google Map, and it's not remotely clear. I see Creekside Park, but there's about a one mile stretch leading up to Creekside Park east of Great Oaks Road, but on Google Maps, there's nothing there.

I normally park at Brushy Creek Lake Park or Champion Park where there is plenty of parking and run towards Creekside Park, then turn around and run back the other direction. The little shaded part is along that stretch. There's also a little paved incline along that stretch. I like to do as much of my run on that side as it has more dirt trail instead of the hard concrete. There is much less parking over by Creekside Park. You'll come across a small community swimming pool by Creekside Park and you'll want to turn around about a hundred yards after that. You'll see where it basically hits a regular street.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmon View Post

Google Maps

The West side of the trail ends at the YMCA on 183 :

The East side of the trail ends just east of Great Oaks on Hairy Man Rd (CR 174) : 30.521089,-97.735407 - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin