Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times

Advertisements

There were 8,640 burglaries in Austin last year, 24 per day, 30-40% of those were burglary of vehicles. It makes financial sense to keep your vehicle in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,218 times
Don't have a garage...just a carport. Most of the people around me with garages don't have cars in them. Just stuff.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There were 8,640 burglaries in Austin last year, 24 per day, 30-40% of those were burglary of vehicles. It makes financial sense to keep your vehicle in the garage.
If, of course, that's possible. Many, many homes in Austin (especially Central, arguably one of the more desirable areas to live unless you're married to new construction, and sometimes even then) either do not have a garage or have a one car garage or have a carport.

Somehow, we've managed to live and/or work in Austin for 40 years without garages, occasionally in neighborhoods that per the statistical tables are "higher crime" areas, and have only once had anything stolen from a car, and that was at my husband's work on the open parking lot that was available. And he worked in that same area for over a quarter of a century before that happened.

How many vehicles are there in Austin on any given day that are not parked in closed garages for some part of the day? What percentage of that number (using statistics) would 40% of 24 be, do you think?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:36 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,601 times
All I know is that our insurance rate went down when we moved here. We currently have two vehicles in a driveway. Before, we had two vehicles with one located on a street and the other in a garage.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Don't have a garage...just a carport. Most of the people around me with garages don't have cars in them. Just stuff.
Sometimes, these things are just a rash of incidents that move through an area and then move on. We had an experience like yours one time in our north central neighborhood, but never again in the 25 years we lived there.

It's unnerving at the time, but I'd be surprised if it becomes a chronic problem requiring action other than simple, common sense precautions, such as locking your car and removing items a thief could be interested in. My husband is pretty adamant about not even leaving something as insignificant as change on the console.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM

316 posts, read 849,720 times
Call 311 and ask to speak to your APD "district representative". Ask your district representative for a "directed patrol". APD will provide heavier coverage in your area at the time of day when the crimes have happened. It may break the pattern.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 AM

308 posts, read 600,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
You got that right. BTW, both our cars are I'm the garage right now. Wouldn't want them to get hail damaged.
Gosh...... I am not worried about the hail, I am more cautious on all the "rain" we been gettin!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
I've had the experience more than once.... Austin has high property crime, and these things tend to come in waves to neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,553 times
Thieves typically look for something valuable before they break into a car. Put everything away or take your stuff inside when you get to your destination and tint your windows so its harder to see your stuff.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM

594 posts, read 1,250,079 times
While it is good advice to keep things out of sight, it doesn't always work:

My truck was broken into about 5 years ago in the middle of the day while I was home sick. This was in our private carport. I had NO idea it even happened because the stuck a screwdriver into the passenger side but I did notice they took my insurance card out of the glove compartment and left it on the seat (I never do that). So I started looking around and noticed the lock. Ug.

I don't own a lot of fancy stuff so I don't have much in there:
I had a factory stereo- untouched
some stamps in the glove compartment- untouched
some coins in the ashtray- untouched
some burnt cds in a binder under the seat- untouched
a windshield sunshade also under the seat- STOLEN!

A $10 Walmart sunshade.

Really?!

Nothing was out in visible sight. I lived with a bunch of students at the time that left valuable out all over the place. Yet they choose my truck and steal a sunshade?

I would have given them $10 to not have to spend $300 on a new door handle, lock, and bodywork.

Jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin