Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times

Advertisements

I'm sick of all the whining in this city. There is nothing to "preserve" on East Riverside... it's a freaking craphole and always has been. New development is the absolute BEST thing that could possibly happen there. Nobody owes you anything... get with the times or go somewhere else: The faces of change (broken link)

I don't like all the changes in Austin but I think many are necessary. This one happens to fall under that category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 12:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,567 times
Injecting some 'hipness' into east riverside would be helpful, but man... it'll take 20 years for that area to fully gentrify.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
New development is the absolute BEST thing that could possibly happen there.
Except for those that live there, and are being displaced, and can't afford much else.

Even working poor deserve a place to live.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Except for those that live there, and are being displaced, and can't afford much else.

Even working poor deserve a place to live.
So true. When I was in Denver, there was a project going on near downtown, and the developers were very good about making sure the displaced people had new housing options. There's just something that's wrong with buying up apartments and kicking people out on the streets with no options. I also believe the project that I was mentioning even offered some of the residents who could afford it an option to buy.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:10 PM

98 posts, read 486,016 times
It is true that Austin must have a cheap apartment city like E.Riverside but right now that property is being underused. It is right next to downtown and you shouldn't expect to live affordable downtown or right next to it.

There are plenty of other places for the working poor to live. Rent on Riverside is about the same as it is in North Austin and other parts of the Eastside/S.W. where said development is not planned.

I think it will suprize you how fast this can happen as well. In other parts of town gentrification(which I find a crass and bordering on racist term)has taken years because buyers are remodeling existing structures. On Riverside they plan of plowing down all the crappy apts. and building new condos. This could take ~2years. I currently live on Woodward near Congress and ~6 months ago major construction got started on St.Edwards and several condos on Congress. St.Eds is almost done and the Condos will be up within another 6 months. Within 3 years you won't recognize it...except maybe the BelAire wich the police refuse to shut down.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times
so whats happening to Austin?

people are crying about what here?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM

98 posts, read 486,016 times
Default remodel

They are talking about plowing down property on Riverside Dr. in Austin where a large portion of the "affordable" apartments are located.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
It is right next to downtown and you shouldn't expect to live affordable downtown or right next to it.
Excuse me? Seriously? "They shouldn't expect..." to live in the same place they have for YEARS, simply because a developer has decided to make it the next "hot" area?

Probably one of the reasons the area is good for those people, is because of it's affordability, but also because of PROXIMITY - I don't think they are getting into their Hummers and hiking it across town to their 3 jobs..

Snobbery. Elitism. Gross.

Perhaps if public transportation and walkability was improved.

None the less, they need options. You don't just kick a person out of their home and turn the other cheek.

It's not good business. It's NOT responsible growth.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Yay more condos. That's what Austin needs. Pretty soon it'll be the next San Diego...dozens of condo towers with not a single light on at night since they were all bought by investors.

Can't wait to get the Chili's, Applebee's, and if we're lucky a Cracker Barrel on Riverside. That's living I tell you.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Exactly. So the next time anyone complains about suburban sprawl, I guess this quote should be reposted. I understand that people get displaced sometimes when redevelopment happens, but to say that people who don't make triple digit salaries can't live in or near downtown is elitist and snobbish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: