Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Gov. Rick Perry make a good U.S. President?
Yes. 11 15.94%
No. 54 78.26%
I don't know 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,020,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Perry wouldn't stand a chance in a general election even among his own party. I seriously doubt he'd run, anyway.
Teabaggers love him because they love people that use simple slogans that appeal to their base fears. Who does he have to compete against? Palin? Every non-hard right GOPer is scared of her. Gingrich? Kinda hard to run as a family man when you've cheated on two wives and left one on her deathbed. Romney? The Christian Right doesn't consider Mormons to be Christians so he won't get the nomination. He'll run. His ego will not allow him not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
I've been waiting to weigh in, but I'm going to agree with Jobert (sort of).

Before anyone can be a good president (or bad one, for that matter), they have to be a good presidential candidate.

Rick Perry, IMO, is a good presidential candidate. He's got over a decade of "executive experience" -- that little qualification that seems to pop up every election. He's "led" the 2nd most populous state in the nation and one of the world's largest economies. Despite problems with education, he can point to a good economy, tons of job growth, and not raising taxes -- excellent conservative AND independent talking points.

Politically, he's either really lucky or really savvy. He never deviates from very simple messages, he dresses and acts folksy, and other than that he just shuts up. He's destroyed all his political opponents, quietly and effectively.

Every time he gets in the news as "Rick Perry vs. Obama", whether it is with immigration, the wildfires, federal money, TSA, etc --it's a like a campaign win. What other republican presidential candidate is getting to define themselves issue vs. issue against the current president, without actually having to debate or campaign?

In the end, it will be the republican money guys who will decide whether he runs or not; but if they decide to get behind him, I'd say he's got a >50% shot of being on the ticket -- either leading it or VP.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,358,198 times
At least it would get him out of Texas, and he couldn't screw up Washington DC any worse than the present administration is.

But I haven't voted for him in this century.

Don't forget, he's only one of hundreds of Texas democrats who just started calling themselves "republicans".

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,326,320 times
The only real Republican in the presidential race is Ron Paul. Rick Perry is a Rhino, beholden to more special interest groups than I can even imagine.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,852,638 times
Well, even though the liberals were not invited to this thread, I just thought I would remind everyone that about a year ago we had a very similar thread when Kay Bailey Hutchison announced she was running for governor.

Everyone hated Perry then as well and talked about how ineffective he was and how his time was up.

But he won. Handily.

For a man that is so unpopular, he has no problem winning elections here in Texas. I am not a huge fan, but it seems foolish to simply assume he has no chance of running for or winning the Republican nomination for President. I mean, it's not a heavy or illustrious field so far.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:55 PM

171 posts, read 422,962 times
Jay - Haven't you learned that the Internet is no place for facts and well-supported arguments?

You've got to call people names, speak in vague generalities, and act as if yours is the only opinion worth holding...

I'm no fan of Rick Perry, but I'd vote for him before a whole bunch of other people. And there are some who I'd vote for before Perry.

I do think he would add something to the primary, and should run based on that alone. But last year I thought he'd let Kay Bailey Hutchinson take the mansion so he could start running for president...

Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,882,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I'm a republican and even I think Rick Perry running for president is a very bad idea. I'd bet he wouldn't even carry Texas in the general election. And I can't think of one issue he's championed as Governor that he could run on nationally (HPV vaccines, sonagrams, toll roads anyone?). The first commercial I would produce if I were his opposition would include his famous quip about his support of Texas seceding from the US. I pity the fools that send their hard earned money to support this ridiculous idea.
Don't forget wind insurance.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 PM

970 posts, read 1,874,171 times
As a Pragmatist, I don't think the rest of the country is ready to elect Another Governor of Texas.....quite yet. Ain't gonna happen. He certainly may be qualified (Far More so than the current President,) but now is not his time.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,358,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Well, even though the liberals were not invited to this thread, I just thought I would remind everyone that about a year ago we had a very similar thread when Kay Bailey Hutchison announced she was running for governor.

Everyone hated Perry then as well and talked about how ineffective he was and how his time was up.

But he won. Handily.

For a man that is so unpopular, he has no problem winning elections here in Texas. I am not a huge fan, but it seems foolish to simply assume he has no chance of running for or winning the Republican nomination for President. I mean, it's not a heavy or illustrious field so far.
That's because Bill White was a non-starter.

Kinda like McCain in 2008.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,852,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That's because Bill White was a non-starter.

Kinda like McCain in 2008.
I am not talking about his running against Bill White for governor, I am talking about him running against Kay Bailey for the nomination. Kay Bailey was not a non-starter.

Perry, for all his faults, is good at politics. It is unwise to dismiss him.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 05-30-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin