Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM

205 posts, read 739,281 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get a opinion as to which news channel you guys follow :

1) KXAN
2) YNN (Time Warner customers)
3) KVUE
4) Don't know if there is one for U-Verse customers.

For me personally, I started following KXAN but now don't like it as much as KVUE because
a) They don't have as much stories/news as other channels.

b) Their weather guy really sucks. I have never seen him being accurate as far as rains are concerned. The other thing which pisses me is even though it is 95+ temperature he will continue saying really nice weather" & "bright and sunny". Looks like he is paid by Promote Austin Media Campaign.

c) KVUE/YNN covers some more stories outside Austin i.e. rest of Texas and US in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Fox7 is good for investigative and in-depth coverage. KXAN is a good because of Shannon Wolfson .

Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Coming from Atlanta, it took a while to get used to a 'mid-market' type of news broadcast. Atlanta news was hokey, don't get me wrong, but they had LOTS of money to 'polish' the news delivery.

It has always been the case(but more noticeable in Austin) that news shows follow the exact same format...lead in teasers, quick weather tease, bit of news, bit of weather, finish with sports then a bit more 'fluff'. Here in Austin, I think the same fellow holds the stopwatch for all stations...the broadcasts align perfectly with their format and even the commercial breaks.

I don't miss much about Time Warner, but I do miss the old 'Channel 8' local news and weather(YNN?) and the local weather on the Weather Channel. We're ATT folks for now.

I'm getting used to the 10 o'clock new hour and even the 9 o'clock on one station...hard to break the East Coast 11 o'clock news habit!

Having said all that, I couldn't tell you which station has which reporters or weather folks...that's what that remote is for click, click, click.
It was a little odd seeing Tyler Sieswerda in Austin after watching him in Atlanta( I think he transferred shortly before we moved). Kind of a confusing flashback sort of thing.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
When I watch local news (which really, I hardly ever do anymore -- I get most of my news from statesman.com now), it's KVUE. Two old-school reasons are the reason why - #1, it was cable channel 3 on analog cable. The significance of this placement was much greater many years ago... and #2, their location on Steck was really close to where I used to live and work. Back when Austin had rain and severe weather, this was important.

I am not a fan of YNN... and I think their name change just made it worse; "YNN" is too close the the "ONN" name and logo which the Onion uses for their spoof network.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I usually watch KVUE, but I don't really like any of them. One thing I notice is that every news outlet in Austin has to connect Austin to every story going on in the world. Like if there is some devastating event on Mongolia, then they will find some person who once had a 45 minute layover in Mongolia 35 years ago and interview them like they are an expert. Drives me nuts. And every station seems to do it. Not everything is about Austin. Honest.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I usually watch KVUE, but I don't really like any of them. One thing I notice is that every news outlet in Austin has to connect Austin to every story going on in the world. Like if there is some devastating event on Mongolia, then they will find some person who once had a 45 minute layover in Mongolia 35 years ago and interview them like they are an expert. Drives me nuts. And every station seems to do it. Not everything is about Austin. Honest.

You're right - that is obnoxious. What ends up happening is that whenever there is a disaster, the news makes it sound like Austin will be directly affected by it, even if it happens on the other side of the planet:
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/austin-area-consumers-fearing-radiation-from-japan-snap-1323876.html

Does anyone remember when Hermione struck Houston? Prior to that, the local news in Austin made it sound as if it was heading straight for us, and that it was still going to be a category 1 hurricane when it inevitably struck. People here freaked out, and practically all the bottled water in the city sold out in less than a day from the panic.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I rarely watch local news. I do read the Statesman and sometimes the Chronicle on City Hall issues. YNN is a silly name, but it is great for breaking stories. If something big happens (like Joe Stark or the gunman at UT) then I go to Twitter and follow up the next day with the Statesman. It has been years and years since I sat down to watch a local newscast.

I do love Jim Spencer but mainly I just read his blog or check the website quick for weather. If there is a hurricane or other big weather event, then I go to the Weather Underground.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times
KXAN - I like the Today show so I just keep it on that channel.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
No local favorites for me, as the quality of their journaliism is very low....same for the Austin American Statesman newspaper.

Bunch of poorly educated amateurs.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
You're right - that is obnoxious. What ends up happening is that whenever there is a disaster, the news makes it sound like Austin will be directly affected by it, even if it happens on the other side of the planet:
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/austin-area-consumers-fearing-radiation-from-japan-snap-1323876.html

Does anyone remember when Hermione struck Houston? Prior to that, the local news in Austin made it sound as if it was heading straight for us, and that it was still going to be a category 1 hurricane when it inevitably struck. People here freaked out, and practically all the bottled water in the city sold out in less than a day from the panic.
When Ike was predicted to hit Houston, it was projected to come through Austin as a tropical storm. Unfortunately, I had to go to HEB to buy stuff to feed the dozen or so family members evacuating the coast and headed for our house. This one woman was freaking out because they were out of bottled water. Oh, the humanity! What was she going to do?! The guy that worked at HEB asked her, "M'am, you still have working water at home, right?" Woman: "Yes! But what about after the storm hits?! It could be a week before we have water again!" HEB Guy: "Um, why don't you go home and fill up some bottles from the faucet. You know, you don't have to BUY water." She shut up and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: