Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,935 times

Advertisements

Dh and I are seriously considering moving to the Georgetown area. We know so little about it except that the area is really pretty. We are 62 and newly retired from the federal government; we currently live in Eastern New Mexico. We'd like to live closer to family who live in Dallas, Houston, Leander). It is quite scary to make such a big change but I am hoping to get some information on other people's experience in moving to that area from other states, etc. What you like about that area? How you have like the local people? Your disappointments and what you love about the area? Really needing to get some opinions, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,270,430 times
There are many better choices as far as "suburbs" go than Georgetown. As long as you aren't a die hard liberal, The Woodlands north of Houston would be a decent choice. Also, some areas in North Collin County (Dallas area) would be good. Frisco, Allen, or perhaps Prosper if you would like a more "country" feel. (until the Dallas sprawl eats up Prosper like it did Frisco and Allen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Dh and I are seriously considering moving to the Georgetown area. We know so little about it except that the area is really pretty. We are 62 and newly retired from the federal government; we currently live in Eastern New Mexico. We'd like to live closer to family who live in Dallas, Houston, Leander). It is quite scary to make such a big change but I am hoping to get some information on other people's experience in moving to that area from other states, etc. What you like about that area? How you have like the local people? Your disappointments and what you love about the area? Really needing to get some opinions, please.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 AM

370 posts, read 1,000,048 times
Georgetown is a great area, and easy drive to Austin off peak hours.

Great Choice

Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,025,842 times
Very popular with retirees - Sun City especially. If you are looking for a small town feel within an hour or two of Austin/Leander, consider the towns of Wimberley, Fredericksburg, Bastrop, Marble Falls and Driftwood as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,097,069 times
I'm wondering if Georgetown is a consideration because of Sun City? You mentioned that you and your husband are recently retired. From what I've seen, Sun City seems like a nice community for adults. Georgetown will still be a drive from Dallas, but it's a lot closer than New Mexico! And if you select Georgetown, you'll be close to Leander and somewhat at the midway point between Dallas and Houston. I can't offer the input you're asking for, but maybe this link might help:

Sun City Texas | Active Adult Community Georgetown TX | Del Webb homes

Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
eepstein doesn't live in Georgetown or spend any time there, near as I can tell.

Georgetown is a great town for retirement (and I don't just mean Sun City, which is only a part and a relatively recent part, at that, of the town as a whole). What you have is small town atmosphere with amenities (shopping, movies, etc.), and you're a relatively short drive to Austin (we currently live 15 miles north of Georgetown and my husband commuted to work in North Austin every day for years). Southwestern University provides a leavening of the younger crowd plus the programs that a university provides. Lake Georgetown and the Goodwater Trail and San Gabriel Park are great for those who like the outdoor life. People are friendly and there's a good mix of folks who've lived there for generations and people who've moved to town for much the same reasons you give.

What are your interests? That might help us tell you if it looks like a good fit for you, personally.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,626,364 times
I would also throw in New Braunfels with the other suggestions it's part of the San Antonio metro but within an hour of Austin has a nice charming small town feel kinda like Georgetown and Fredericksburg which are good also choices too.

New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce

New Braunfels Texas

New Braunfels, TX - Official Website

Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,571,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I would also throw in New Braunfels with the other suggestions it's part of the San Antonio metro but within an hour of Austin has a nice charming small town feel kinda like Georgetown and Fredericksburg which are good also choices too.

New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce

New Braunfels Texas

New Braunfels, TX - Official Website
Lovely place, New Braunfels, but that would add some misery to the Leander and Dallas visits. Certainly easy enough to hop on I-10 to get to Houston; but I'd still vote for Georgetown. Of course, certain areas of Georgetown might as well be Round Rock or Leander and vice versa.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
As we are also retired and looking at the Georgetown area, I'd like to reactivate this thread. Apologies to the OP if it feels like hijacking, but it has been quiet for awhile.

Sun City is what actually made us aware of the area - but we are not tied to a 55+ community. It's proximity to Austin makes it especially interesting.

A couple of questions: we want to include boating and fishing in our retirement. No specific species, but my husband bores quickly if he 'just fishin' - he needs to be catching. Little, big, whatever, and mostly they get released anyway. In shore Salt water fishing in Florida remains his favorite, but for many other reasons, we don't want to live in Florida. So - can anyone advise on the fishing and boating within 30 minutes of Georgetown or other similar nearby towns?

We also enjoy restaurants (especially ethic), nearby local happy hours and bars, and he spends 3-4 afternoons a week in the pool hall with fellow retirees. We live in far east Mesa, AZ now, so driving 30-40 minutes to play a good game of pool is normal for him.

Do you think this is an area we should continue to research?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 AM

370 posts, read 1,000,048 times
First place that came to mind with boating and fishing, is Horseshoe Bay

Georgetown is about 1/2 hour north of Austin
Horseshoe Bay is probably more like an hour west, if that

But you could have a boat right at your feet if you want

Horseshoe Bay Texas Visitors' Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin