Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notswedish View Post
Thanks for the info!!!! I don't think I compared Texas to a third-world country. I've been to several developing countries for different reasons and thought nothing about Texas while there.

If you get past the fact that people are sensitive (believe me, I'm from CA and get razzed daily in Seattle), what are people's opinons on how a middle-aged Black lesbian could do in Austin is really my question.

I guess I'm getting my answer!

Thannks for responding!!!!

ia
You DID NOT compare Texas to a Third World nation. My point was, that when I speak to my progressive friends outside of Texas and when I read progressive comments about various news stories about Texas, the things they say about Texas are just reprehensible. I think it was fair of me to assume that some of those things have made you "TERRIFIED when I've heard the work (sic) TEXAS."

But then again, perhaps I am being an "ass" in my assumption.

I think you should come on down and check it out. On the economics side, Texas is booming and if you have the motivation, I think you could give your family a great life here.

My only caution is to encourage you to consider how much of a role your friends and family play in your daily life where you are and how you would feel about unrelenting heat, both day and night, for months on end.

I thought I could handle the heat and that was a BIG mistake. As to my friends and family, I was a fool to leave them behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
My point was, that when I speak to my progressive friends outside of Texas and when I read progressive comments about various news stories about Texas, the things they say about Texas are just reprehensible.
Yes, and the national media is just as bad.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:20 PM

327 posts, read 767,183 times
dear lord... you guys... LOL. what's so hard to understand about her being told things about texas that terrify her and her wanting to find out if it really is that way here? what better sources than the very people that actually live here who can tell her that what she was told was right or wrong? from the sounds of it, you guys do sound like you're offended. geez louise...

swedish, i'm black and i haven't had any problems (so far), but i'm black, straight and male. however, there have been other blacks and asians that i've spoken with who haven't been so lucky. austin does have a presence of homosexuals, but i don't know anything about it. there are even a couple of homosexual clubs in downtown. that's about all i've got. best thing to do is come down and see if you like it yourself. just be sure to bring some spf 100 with you.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,126,150 times
In case you are interested in visiting first and are looking for an accepting church. You may want to check out the United Christian Church, it is a very open church that openly welcomes anyone regardless or race or orientation.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:17 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notswedish View Post
Hello,
you are contemplating a move to a red state that is very much against your lifestyle choices.

austin is about the only place people might not shun you and yell out obscenities, for now.

honest advice: pick a state thats more friendly to your questionable lifestyle choices because texas isnt a healthy place for you.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
you are contemplating a move to a red state that is very much against your lifestyle choices.

austin is about the only place people might not shun you and yell out obscenities, for now.

honest advice: pick a state thats more friendly to your questionable lifestyle choices because texas isnt a healthy place for you.
You are simply wrong. Houston and Dallas have very large, active, and visible gay communities. Almost no one cares that they exist. Houston elected a lesbian mayor. We have covered Austin here. Maybe San Antonio is the problem.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Why are you thinking of Austin if you're terrified of Texas?
Austin isn't really Texas. It's more like seattle or san francisco in the middle of Texas imo.
Austin is known for this which is why there are so many transplants living there or looking at living ther like the OP.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:

Maybe in San Antonio. Not in Houston, Austin, or Dallas.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are simply wrong. Houston and Dallas have very large, active, and visible gay communities. Almost no one cares that they exist. Houston elected a lesbian mayor. We have covered Austin here. Maybe San Antonio is the problem.
electing a person based on issues vs her sexuality? seriously?

just face facts. texas is a red state and doesnt tolerate disgusting behaviors.

cant say many on the north sides and downtown austin were very tolerant either, as just about everyone i knew on campus shunned homosexuals.

while its true my personal experiences arent scientific studies, they do happen to represent what a good portion of austin thinks, even if they dont act on it.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,833 times
Quote:
electing a person based on issues vs her sexuality? seriously?

just face facts. texas is a red state and doesnt tolerate disgusting behaviors.

cant say many on the north sides and downtown austin were very tolerant either, as just about everyone i knew on campus shunned homosexuals.

while its true my personal experiences arent scientific studies, they do happen to represent what a good portion of austin thinks, even if they dont act on it.
wow, so its really this bad in Austin? or are these just isolated experiences you're talking about? and do you happen to know a good portion of the 800,000 and know what they all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin