Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:51 PM

200 posts, read 324,644 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

This is the 2nd part of my Post. If I put these 2 topics in 1 Post it would have been OVERWHELMING so I had to make it into a Part 1 & Part 2 sequence. Anyway, as I had mentioned in my 1st Post I'm considering in moving to Austin, but I don't know what diff. neighborhoods look like. Of course, when I was down there during "SxSW" I did see SOME of the diff. Neighborhoods, but I didn't get to see those That ARE NOT in the Main Drags (South Congress & Oltorf area). The neighborhoods I've seen are the East Oltorf side & Some of the West Oltorf side where HEB's is & where South Congress Intersects w/ Oltorf & I only had a PEEK @ one of the streets near some Train tracks near South Lamar (When I was down there I met someone who took me to Artie's Ribhouse & then we spoke about music chatting away in the car sitting out front of a couple of houses in this nice residential neighborhood.).

Anyway, B/F I go down to speak to Realtors I just wanted to get some PICTURES of NON TOURISTY Neighborhood areas that the Locals live (or Local Neighborhoods). The only thing that I liked when the guy who was an Austin Local (Not "SxSW" Related) took me to Artie's Ribhouse I really got (like he said) to see the REAL AUSTIN b/c there weren't any people/tourists "SxSW" related @ that location. Also, some Realtors I've already spoken to made some comments on:

1) East Austin & West Austin neighborhoods

2) South East & South West Austin neighborhoods

3) North East & North West Austin neighborhoods

So, if anyone could share some PICTURES of these diff. neighborhoods (that are NOT TOURISTY) where the LOCALS live I would be MOST GRATEFUL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:34 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times
Why don't you use Google street view to check out any neighborhood you want?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
This is a great suggestion. I used it a lot when we were looking. It may not show every little street, but can give a good idea of how neighborhoods look.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Quote:
This. Do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This is a great suggestion. I used it a lot when we were looking. It may not show every little street, but can give a good idea of how neighborhoods look.
I did to. It helped rule out some trips to houses.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Kiacook, Thank you. I started looking on Google as you had suggested. Although, I hope you don't mind, but I just wanted to know

Do some Homeowners (of these houses) rent out part of their homes?

Meaning
Are there any Studio Efficiencies with a Separate Entrance in these houses?

Or

Is the Rent only in the Apartment buildings? Just curious.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM

71 posts, read 146,578 times
Default duplexes, split houses, houses behind houses

In Central Austin there are quite a few duplexes, some built that way originally, and some configured to be 2 apartments, and yet some that built small houses (or garage apartments) in the backyard. My previous rental home in Rosedale had 2 apartments in the backyard.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:41 PM

43 posts, read 84,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
Kiacook, Thank you. I started looking on Google as you had suggested. Although, I hope you don't mind, but I just wanted to know

Do some Homeowners (of these houses) rent out part of their homes?

Meaning
Are there any Studio Efficiencies with a Separate Entrance in these houses?

Or

Is the Rent only in the Apartment buildings? Just curious.
Most of the divided houses/duplexes/efficiencys/garage apartments are in the older neighborhoods, so, closer in.

Most of the 'burbs are either rental complexes or single family homes.

Now, I said "most" as there are always exceptions to every rule.

Here's an Austin rule: good owner managed apartments are really hard to find.

Here's another one: Hyde Park has a large student population.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quince View Post
In Central Austin there are quite a few duplexes, some built that way originally, and some configured to be 2 apartments, and yet some that built small houses (or garage apartments) in the backyard. My previous rental home in Rosedale had 2 apartments in the backyard.
Quince, you said small houses or "Garage Apartments"? Wouldn't a "Garage" (apart.) smell carbonated or musty & feel cold? & is Rosedale on the OUTSKIRTS of Austin? Someone told me (when I was looking into "Round Rock") that places/towns in the "surrounding area" are usually a 1 Hr. away from Austin. The person who told me this knows NYC (I think he/she may have lived here once.) so he/she said that the amount of distance from Austin to "Round Rock" would be like Traveling from NYC (Manhattan) to Connecticut (I think he/she said "Greenwich", Conn. I'm not sure.). Is this true (that is, including Traffic)?? But anyway, so you're saying that you had 2 "Garage" Apartments in the backyard? Please let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsch View Post
Most of the divided houses/duplexes/efficiencys/garage apartments are in the older neighborhoods, so, closer in.

Most of the 'burbs are either rental complexes or single family homes.

Now, I said "most" as there are always exceptions to every rule.

Here's an Austin rule: good owner managed apartments are really hard to find.

Here's another one: Hyde Park has a large student population.
Malsch, Most of the "Burbs" are rental complexes or "single family homes"?! Sorry, but I don't know to much about Real Estate, but

Do "Single Family Homes" have a separate part of the house that would be an Efficiency or Studio?

The reason I say this is that I prefer to live in the "Quiet" Residential areas (No Parties Environment) b/c I'm an adult (No offense to the College kids) & I really don't want to be in the Student "Parties" Environment. I say this b/c you said that "Hyde Park" had a big student population.
Anyway, you say that these Efficiencies are in the "older neighborhoods"?!

What do you mean about the "Older neighborhoods"?

What Are the "Older Neighborhoods" (or Where are they) in Austin?

Is Rollingwood too far from Austin (meaning Commute/Distance)?

What about "La Manchaca"?

Someone told me that "La Manchaca" has Cheap or have Reasonable Rents And is 1/2hr. Away (commute/distance) from Austin. Is this true? Please let me know. I'm open to any insights. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin