Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times

Advertisements

That's right, this isn't a thread about fires

I'll be moving to Austin in a few weeks. Already have a job ready, so money's not a problem. Job is a bit north of the 183 (forgive me if I use street/highway names other than the ones you guys normally use ).

I'm looking for an apartment that's no more than 15 minutes away from my job or downtown. Ideally, it'd be in the rectangle formed by the 183, Mopac, I35, and the river to the south.

Additional details:
- 2 bedrooms
- Safe
- Nice looking (for ~$1300 it better look relatively good), preferably more urban

I also have a few more questions:
- What kinds of apartment will have better soundproofing? I've never lived in one before, so I've no idea for example how loud I can play music without disturbing others, and how bad/good soundproofing can be.
- Aside from downtown, what are other good places to hang out, shop, and eat?
- Any other advice on moving to Austin, good/bad neighborhoods and areas, etc. would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:30 PM

75 posts, read 113,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinEngineer View Post
That's right, this isn't a thread about fires

I'll be moving to Austin in a few weeks. Already have a job ready, so money's not a problem. Job is a bit north of the 183 (forgive me if I use street/highway names other than the ones you guys normally use ).

I'm looking for an apartment that's no more than 15 minutes away from my job or downtown. Ideally, it'd be in the rectangle formed by the 183, Mopac, I35, and the river to the south.

Additional details:
- 2 bedrooms
- Safe
- Nice looking (for ~$1300 it better look relatively good), preferably more urban

I also have a few more questions:
- What kinds of apartment will have better soundproofing? I've never lived in one before, so I've no idea for example how loud I can play music without disturbing others, and how bad/good soundproofing can be.
- Aside from downtown, what are other good places to hang out, shop, and eat?
- Any other advice on moving to Austin, good/bad neighborhoods and areas, etc. would be greatly appreciated
Aside from getting feedback on the forums, working with a locator is your best best for actually checking out places.

They drive you around for free and show you places. You don't gotta pay them anything since the place you lease with will pay them for the referral.

I worked with one and she was awesome. I'll PM you her info.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
I would look in the Arboretum area (anywhere in the general vicinity of the triangle formed by 360/183/Great Hills Trail, and up Jollyville Road for a ways.) There are some nice apartments and your commute would be a breeze in the morning. It's a very safe neighborhood. If you're only intending to go downtown for entertainment in the evenings, it would be quick once rush hour traffic has died down.

I've never found apartments in the Austin area to have particularly good soundproofing. Maybe that's not the case everywhere and someone else will enlighten me. I would not plan to play music loudly in an apartment complex, and if that's something that's really important to you, I would consider renting a house in a cheaper neighborhood instead.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:55 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,383 times
You can rent a house for $1300 but what exactly is North of 183? The 78759 zip code should be around the right spot to be near downtown and near work assuming you are talking about a job in NW Austin. There are tons of threads on food and entertainment here and I would suggest checking sites like Yelp for reviews too.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
You might check out the Domain here's a few apartments that might work in the Arboretum area to check out.

Arboretum at Great Hills - Austin, TX 78759 | Simon Malls

The Domain - Austin, TX 78758

Barshop & Oles

Luxury Apartments in Austin | Residences at the DOMAIN | Austin TX

Villages at the Domain Apartments For Rent in Austin, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Mesa Verde Apartments For Rent in Austin, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

San Marin Austin

Austin Texas Apartments - Home - Arboretum At Stonelake

Great Hills Austin Apartments | Marquis at Great Hills in Austin, TX 78759

Hardrock Canyon Apartments For Rent in Austin, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Broadstone Great Hills Apartments For Rent in Austin, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: