Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM

99 posts, read 174,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I would agree that the most successful burglars probably go to affluent neighborhoods to steal. But apparently most burglars are not all that smart.
Or maybe they are smart... The affluent neighborhoods are the ones that will have good security alarms, motion detectors, etc. In a poorer neighborhood, if the house is empty, you're probably good to go (in).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM

308 posts, read 600,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Some of those burglars are taking quite a chance with breaking into people's homes here in Texas and not knowing that ONE house they end up in, they have a shotgun leveled at them...

agreed! I welcome the fool that breaks into my home. I own 8 guns and I do carry. If one breaks into my home, I will unload on them!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Nice theory, but it does not pan out.......
I mainly wrote what I wrote as a sort of rebuttal to the

Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Our north central neighborhood goes through spells of break-ins where the perpetrators kick in the back door and take off with the goods. It happens mostly in broad daylight when most residents are at work. My own suspicion is that it might be the many construction workers who do remodels in the area and see when people come and go. Additionally, even with our car parked in the driveway, every couple of years, someone breaks the window and rifles through the car in the middle of the night.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Our north central neighborhood goes through spells of break-ins where the perpetrators kick in the back door and take off with the goods. It happens mostly in broad daylight when most residents are at work. My own suspicion is that it might be the many construction workers who do remodels in the area and see when people come and go. Additionally, even with our car parked in the driveway, every couple of years, someone breaks the window and rifles through the car in the middle of the night.
What part of north central do you live in? Near Rundberg Lane perhaps?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Not near Rundberg. Allandale.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM

212 posts, read 477,466 times
I actually sold my house in the Delwood II/Cherrywood area because of the burglary problem in that area. My house was cleaned out in broad daylight while I was at work, and the burglar(s) injured my dog. I'm not sure the police here no quite what to do about the problem. They took fingerprints but were never able to develop any leads, on my incident or the many others in the area. I also bought a gun.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I actually sold my house in the Delwood II/Cherrywood area because of the burglary problem in that area. My house was cleaned out in broad daylight while I was at work, and the burglar(s) injured my dog. I'm not sure the police here no quite what to do about the problem. They took fingerprints but were never able to develop any leads, on my incident or the many others in the area. I also bought a gun.
If I lived over there I would definitely have a burglar alarm system and turn it on whenever I left the house. A relatively nice area like that, next door to high poverty, high unemployment rate neighborhoods is just enticing to anyone with low morals looking to make a quick buck.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Not near Rundberg. Allandale.
Statistically that area has a relatively low crime rate (824 thefts, 258 burglaries), it is quite low considering that the zip code includes the Lamar Blvd. corridor and Anderson Lane corridor with NorthCross Mall. And the northern edge is 183 (which is close to Rundberg). All of those shopping centers along the major arterial's usually have higher property crime rates, which would indicate that the residential areas have relatively mild crime rates.

However, having helped an old friend remodel her house in that area I would have to say that many of the older houses would be relatively easy to break into, some have relatively light wood framing around doors and windows, which I imagine might be easier to kick in.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
I mainly wrote what I wrote as a sort of rebuttal to the
Holy cow, my incomplete post got posted! I was in a hurry that morning, couldn't get my thoughts together and decided to post my thoughts later. Guess I smacked the post button accidently.

To complete the above: I wrote what I wrote mostly as a counterpoint to the confusing (to me anyway) attitude that the "nice" neighborhoods are akin to some kind of Norman Rockwell painting so they are impervious to crime, when in my experience - and heck, just watching the news, COPs and World's Dumbest - that is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin