Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times

Advertisements

I just saw this article online from "Prevention | Healthy Living Magazine" where Austin was ranked as the 7th best US city for outdoor exercise, based on "the quality of the parks and other green space, weather, air quality, levels of violent crime, and the enthusiasm of local residents for staying active". Here's the list (and the link):

1. San Francisco
2. Portland
3. San Diego
4. Denver
5. Seattle
6. Boston
7. Austin
8. Minneapolis

There was also an article from the same magazine that listed the 8 most artery-clogging cities in America, based on having "the highest rates of heart disease and obesity in the country".

1. Detroit
2. Fort Wayne
3. Lubbock
4. New Orleans
5. Dallas
6. Baton Rouge
7. Tulsa
8. Lousiville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
This can't possibly be true. It must be fiction created by Austin's multi-million dollar marketing campaign!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 AM

370 posts, read 999,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This can't possibly be true. It must be fiction created by Austin's multi-million dollar marketing campaign!
LOL

Yes, yes ... trumped up by some whitebred hillbillies in Avery Ranch no doubt

(eepstein references in case someone hasn't had the "pleasure" of his rants)

Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Interesting. I split my time between Austin and Lubbock, which appear on these opposite lists. As someone who is an avid outdoorsman, I'm pretty satisfied with Austin, and I can agree with its place on the list. But Lubbock's place on the "artery-clogging" list is suspect. The article cites Lubbock's "preponderance of artery-clogging steakhouses and barbecue joints" as the cause, but Lubbock actually has a dearth of those for a Texas city. If anything, the high rate of heart disease there is due to its having what's been rated as one of the top cardiology hospitals in the nation.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Interesting. I split my time between Austin and Lubbock, which appear on these opposite lists. As someone who is an avid outdoorsman, I'm pretty satisfied with Austin, and I can agree with its place on the list. But Lubbock's place on the "artery-clogging" list is suspect. The article cites Lubbock's "preponderance of artery-clogging steakhouses and barbecue joints" as the cause, but Lubbock actually has a dearth of those for a Texas city. If anything, the high rate of heart disease there is due to its having what's been rated as one of the top cardiology hospitals in the nation.
Lubbock doesn't spend as much as Austin on its multi-million dollar marketing campaign!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,927 times
When I can bike across the city without choking on exhaust fumes, THEN I will agree.

I'm doing my best to make that happen to. The best route downtown would be 4th street heading west, then 3rd street, across Lamar, then up Baylor into Clarksville. The LAB along Cesar Chavez is heavily air polluted unless theres a Northerly wind.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Another interesting interactive tool on ranking cities...

America's Favorite Cities 2011 | Travel + Leisure

I noticed that Texans in general have a higher opinion of their cities than visitors do across categories. That's the Texas pride that I loved when I lived there!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Having been to nearly all the cities on the best-of list, I definitely agree with the list. The only major downside to Austin when it comes to outdoor exercise is the long, brutal summer season.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 6,592 times
Default proof plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Lubbock doesn't spend as much as Austin on its multi-million dollar marketing campaign!
THe only proof near of what u speak is....
Builder Homesite, Inc. Launches Multi-Million Dollar Industry Initiative to Highlight Joy and Freedom of New Homes

Basicaly saying...
Austin Business Journal Editor Colin Pope says 32 home builders have teamed up with ad agency GSD&M to convince homeowners to buy new homes instead of used.

The multi-million dollar campaign is an effort to get the word out because home builders have suffered in the recent recession.

found at ..
http://www.builderhomesite.com/news/...ative-highligh

It dosent say anything like inventing false websites to make it look all better.
To many websites of difrent sources agree that austin is best overall in terms of $ and general quality of life for all of them to be just add sites.
Please give proof of this besides the houses they want u to buy to be just new ones wich is not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin