Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 AM

43 posts, read 216,053 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Was wondering if anyone could compare Austin to Denver . . . I currently live in NYC and am looking for a change. I am single and over 40 and like the music scene very much. I play in a Brazilian samba band . . . (Austin is probably better for this) . . . also like culture, museums, public transportation, nice restaurants, etc. (Denver is probably better for this) . . . I work as a legal secretary (salaries in Denver are probably higher but so is the cost of living - or is it?) . . . I love the outdoors (so both would be good for this) . . . are people relatively friendly in Denver? Would it be relatively easy to meet people? (I would be moving by myself and don't know anyone in either place). They seem so in Austin. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Regarding the weather, I know it's very hot in Austin but Denver gets a lot of snow from time to time . . . I don't like very cold winters, but the temperatures in Denver don't seem to stay cold for any length of time; if what people say in the forum is true, it seems that the temps constantly fluctuate. Don't know if the altitude would bother me as it does some people. There's certainly no way to tell unless I spent at least a few weeks in Denver.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would appreciate any insight anyone would have as to these two cities. Thanks so much.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
I'll pm you back

Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,571,226 times
Based on ""also like culture, museums, public transportation, nice restaurants, etc."" you best pic Denver ... IMHO.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:58 PM

68 posts, read 362,058 times
Default Austin/Denver: The Tale of 2 Cities

I feel like I can do a pretty good comparison for you since I am a Denver native and have been preparing for a move to Austin for 2 years now. I am currently living on the Atlantic coast. Denver seems much larger and certainly more cosmopolitan then Austin and it has a lot more cultural events then Austin. Austin has a very laid back vibe and is best known for their live music scene. But, Austin also has a larger film industry then Denver. But, as far as arena-sized concerts they mostly go to Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. Denver has more street festivals and fairs and the events are much larger. We went to an event in Austin and it was almost quaint for us. As it was so small and therefore easy to get parking and it wasn't crowded. Events in Denver are really big, even small neighborhood events can get overly crowded. But, I have to tell you I completely miss all the events-fairs, concerts and festivals in Denver. Every weekend their was something big going on. Austin is a river & lake centered culture and Denver is all about the mountains as a whole. Tons of people in Austin & surrounding areas have boats or go tubing in the nearby lakes and water and Denverites ski, camp, hike and mountian bike more then water activities. However their is lakes & rivers in Colorado, but it just isn't as huge culturally as it is in Austin.

To answer your question about the houses- you get more for your $ in Austin. But, you will have crazy high taxes. Colorado's taxes are about 1/4 th of what they are annually in Texas (possibly less even). Colorado's real estate market is in a bust right now, so now is the best time to scoop in and buy a house if you can. Because, the market for housing is bad. Colorado goes through "booms and busts": constantly. It will bounce back though and then real estate will be outrageous. Cost of real estate in Colorado has always been high. But, deals can be found now. So act quick.

The weather all over has been squirelly this year- In Texas they had tons of rain. So much that it ended a 10 drought for them and Denver had a record breaking year for snow this past winter. When normally Denver is warmer then most people think. I use to play tennis outdoors all year round there.

Something that has kept me miserable where we live currently is the bug situation. Colorado has very few bugs and creepy crawlies. I have been in shock over the sheer volume of bugs etc... here. Austin has more bugs and other creepy crawlies then Denver does- by a long shot.

Denver has better shopping, but Austin is starting to catch up on that front. The libraries in Colorado are ranked the top in the country and the ones in Austin are suppose to suck. I truly worry about this.

We are self-employed, but wages are better in Denver then in Austin. Both are tech-based cities though. As for cost of living- the base cost for houses are cheaper in Austin, but taxes undue that quickly. Food prices are possibly cheaper in TX.. But, utilities are much cheaper in CO. Insurance costs are similar.

We are most likely going to be moving to Austin, but in most ways Denver does stack out better then Austin. Denver is cleaner then Austin and architecturally more interesting. It is more aestetically pleasing too. But, Austin is fun, carefree and arty. Their is a zaniness to Austin that appeals to us and the people are a lot more friendly. I also like the small town feel but, can still enjoy the comfort of a large city that Austin offers. People in Colorado are really health conscience and so therefore the "bods" around there are in top form, but that can be either inspiring or daunting depending on where you are in the spectrum. Both areas' seem fine crime wise. I did have my house broke into once in CO (about 20 years ago) and my car once.

Why were not going back to Denver over Austin has come down to this we have a house with a pool now and I can't imagine life without one now and pools are much more prevalent in Austin. Plus, I personally like the look and size of Texas houses and we are looking to experience something new, but not so outrageously different that we won't feel comfortable. We have been to Austin many times and have always had fun. I suggest you visit both places for a week and really focus on seeing and experiencing each to make your final decision.

Feel free to contact me anytime- I love helping.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:35 PM

389 posts, read 1,630,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGirl View Post
We are most likely going to be moving to Austin, but in most ways Denver does stack out better then Austin. Denver is cleaner then Austin and architecturally more interesting.
I lived in Denver for 13 years and in Austin since 1990. Both have advantages and disadvantages but I take extreme exception to the issue of Denver being cleaner than Austin.

Denver has a very severe smog issue. Couple that hazy brown image with gravel laden winter roads that have plowed banks of exhaust-colored (black) snow/ice and you may begin to get the feel. Understand that this dreary image is very common for several months of the year.

So when you picture the "architecturally interesting" Denver skyline, be sure to include the brown cloud. It may help to inhale car exhaust during this exercise as well.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Your info is old & the situation has changed

"Denver has a very severe smog issue. Couple that hazy brown image with gravel laden winter roads that have plowed banks of exhaust-colored (black) snow/ice and you may begin to get the feel. Understand that this dreary image is very common for several months of the year."

Your info. is a little outdated - Colorado and Denver has really worked hard to clear the "brown cloud" and their efforts have worked quite well. The brown cloud is a weather inversion that occurs for like 2-3 months (mostly Jan./ Feb.). Your remark is deceptive by stating "several" months. I think that most people think of much more then 2-3 months when coupled with the word several. Plus, all your concerns for cleanliness was based around the winter time. I was speaking in more general terms. The malls and shopping area's, roads and business area's are cleaner looking. So are the residential areas (for the most part). The lady that originally posted is living in NYC and is use to a different type of snow and slush then they have in Denver. If you lived there then you have to admit that snows would not linger in Denver and sand does need to be put out during storms for the safety of drivers. But, I personally have not found it to be the eyesore your making it out to be. It always seemed to go away in a day or two. Also, because Denver/ Colorado is a dry climate you don't get the mold/ algae build up that you do in humid areas. That alone adds a stainy, green/black look to buidings in humid area's.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGirl View Post
"Denver has a very severe smog issue. Couple that hazy brown image with gravel laden winter roads that have plowed banks of exhaust-colored (black) snow/ice and you may begin to get the feel. Understand that this dreary image is very common for several months of the year."

Your info. is a little outdated - Colorado and Denver has really worked hard to clear the "brown cloud" and their efforts have worked quite well. The brown cloud is a weather inversion that occurs for like 2-3 months (mostly Jan./ Feb.). Your remark is deceptive by stating "several" months. I think that most people think of much more then 2-3 months when coupled with the word several. Plus, all your concerns for cleanliness was based around the winter time. I was speaking in more general terms. The malls and shopping area's, roads and business area's are cleaner looking. So are the residential areas (for the most part).
Oxford American Dictionaries: Several - more than two but not many

Please give me specific examples. Where in Austin are you experiencing this relative lack of cleanliness and where in Denver are you comparing it to?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Can't we all just get along?

Honestly Bisquits:

You need to be less defensive. I am after all moving to Austin myself. I like Austin. Did you read my whole post- I like Austin and have done alot of research about it before moving there and I am a Denver native. The original poster asked for a comparison and I gave it to her. Quit worrying about my saying that I personally find Denver to be cleaner then Austin. I don't think that Austin is heinous or I wouldn't be moving there. It seems like you really want people to view Austin in a favorable light- so why don't you list some wonderful positives about your experience living there, instead of being snarky with me. I was just trying to help her out. She is a woman in her 40's and so am I. I thought that my post might help her and others out. I didn't intend for this to become a showdown at the OK corral.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM

If asking you to further explain your claim, or defining a word, is defensive I apologize;I am simply trying to understand your statement to give the OP an educated opinion.

As I have previously stated, I have lived in both cities for over a decade each. I have a family tree that is split between the two areas and have an affection for them both.

That being said, and unless CameraGirl has either A) spent more than 2-weeks "living" in Austin or B) explains what she is specifically comparing between the relative cleanliness of Denver & Austin; I will remain with the acknowledged fact that Denver is less clean than Austin for several months a year and is absolutely no more clean than Austin during the remaining months of the year.

If CameraGirl's definition of "clean" is which city has more sparkly mirrored buildings (e.g. Denver Tech Center), then my opinion changes.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Biscuits:

How about we just agree to disagree! I am going to stand by my original post. Forums like this is suppose to allow for a freedom of personal opinion. The OP asked for opinions regarding a comparison of Austin and Denver. I gave my personal take on the subject. I don't think that you are anymore qualified with an opinion of my own personal experience then I am. Again, if you are more interested in "helping" the OP- then why don't you tell her some advantages to moving to Austin over Denver. I'd love to hear them too. Right now I am trying to maintain my own interest in moving there. So play nice Bisquits- your hurting your cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin