Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,571 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what's going on with the trashing out of Austin? There's been a lot of news lately about the Barton Creek greenbelt getting thorougly trashed, and I've noticed roadways and especially I-35 getting trashier. A highway department person tells me that a part of the problem along I-35, around the overpasses, is transients who live under the overpasses and leave garbage everywhere. I saw an example of that today at the Parmer Lane overpass. It was horrible.

I do my part and I know others who do their part to keep the city clean, but it seems to be getting out of hand in some areas of the city. It just doesn't seem like Austin in some areas these days.

Anyone know of a city in the U.S. where litter (and graffiti) are not a problem? Maybe we can learn from such cities if they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,606 times
City Budget Woes + More Homeless/Broke Folks = More Trash

Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 AM

355 posts, read 923,546 times
A bottle deposit would help. I've lived in 4 states--this is the only one without a bottle deposit.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
It's the part of growth. Growth brings both good and bad

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
A bottle deposit would help. I've lived in 4 states--this is the only one without a bottle deposit.
I agree. And if they raised the prices on aluminum can redemptions, there would be less of those laying around. Out in Calif, I was getting $1.50/lb on my cans when I'd take them in. Out here, you are lucky to get 40 cents/lb!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM

732 posts, read 2,127,073 times
The trash on all the streets is pretty bad, especially on 35. I can always expect multiple thing in the lanes on 35: cardboard, bags, boards, etc. In the break down lanes I have seen some crazy stuff: bumpers, hoods. I would hate to have to use the break down lane and run into that hood.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,020,509 times
Compared to other states, from having traveled to 30-odd states, TX has always seemed significantly worse than most other states when it comes to roadside trash...at least bad enough that I started noticing this about 20 years ago and it always comes to mind now when I travel.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM

653 posts, read 1,795,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
I think that when they do pick up the trash, and do analysis to see what it is made up of (and I believe such analysis is already being done, I remember either reading an article or seeing a spot on the news), start charging a trash tax on those items.

Then use that trash tax revenue to hire people to pick up the trash.
This will also help the unemployment rate, by providing jobs.

I realize this is a mass punishment (those who throw their trash away share in the payment of the tax).

Another idea, comes from my First Sargent in one of the units I was in while in the Army.
If someone got caught littering (usually it was throwing cigarette buts on the ground), they got sentenced to early morning police call (picking up trash).

Give out more tickets for littering (I think it is already illegal).
Punishments would include community service (picking up trash very early in the morning) and fines (used to fund the extra police to give out the tickets and supervision of the early morning trash detail).

For the homeless, and those without resources for fines, they would do more hours of trash pickup.
But no one would get away with just a fine, but those who could afford, would get a punishment of both a fine and hours picking up trash.

The next step is enforcement.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,004,300 times
Blasphemy! It's called "freedom"!!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,738,194 times
Quote:
As a sanctuary city we attract more than our share of (homeless) illegal immigrants.
I used to not care about that kind of stuff or notice much but after a few experiences and some research it is something that does bother me, even as a liberal.

I don't even walk some parts of Barton Creek Watershed with my family anymore after we encountered a LARGE group of homeless hooligans. I mean like 20 - 30 people, mostly Hispanic, just wildin' out by the river on the other side from where you pay to swim in Barton Springs. Walking around with their hands in the front of their pants, staring at my wife, rough housing, cussing loudly in front of my two little girls, smoking pot, drinking, etc etc. It was out of control and far enough from any really 'public' thoroughfare to attract the attention of the Park Police I guess.

Anyways, it was 'trashy' on so many levels.

There's also this 'Homeless Kingdom' in North Austin that you may want to explore.
Ah, good times.
Hmm..somehow all your posts seem to have ONE thing in common: negativity about Austin.

I guess you've filled the void of naysayers like eepstein and artsyguy.

(By the way, what happened to them?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin