Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times

Advertisements

hello, austinites! (sorry to be so corny)

my fiance and i are currently living in brooklyn and are ready for a location change after our wedding in july. we were originally thinking LA, but the more we hear about austin, the more it seems like a pretty attractive option to us.

a little about us: i'm 28, he's 26. i am a student and will be receiving my associate degree at a community college this semester and i also work as an administrative assistant at an office. my fiance graduated with a degree in film and now works for A&E Networks as an editor. we're into dive bars, live music, craft beer, and fun outdoor activities.

question 1) how are the job opportunities for someone who has a degree and experience in the film industry? what my fiance really wants to do is cinematography, but he has experience in almost every aspect of production and post-production. we need to be in a place where he can find work. i'll likely be pursuing my bachelor's degree and working part time, so he'll have to be the breadwinner for a while.

question 2) what kind of day or weekend trips can we take from austin? here in brooklyn we're in a city but can take trips to the mountains for snowboarding or hiking, the beach, etc. what do you guys do for weekend trips away?

thanks in advance for any input : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,731,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doveandfalcon View Post
hello, austinites! (sorry to be so corny)

my fiance and i are currently living in brooklyn and are ready for a location change after our wedding in july. we were originally thinking LA, but the more we hear about austin, the more it seems like a pretty attractive option to us.

a little about us: i'm 28, he's 26. i am a student and will be receiving my associate degree at a community college this semester and i also work as an administrative assistant at an office. my fiance graduated with a degree in film and now works for A&E Networks as an editor. we're into dive bars, live music, craft beer, and fun outdoor activities.

question 1) how are the job opportunities for someone who has a degree and experience in the film industry? what my fiance really wants to do is cinematography, but he has experience in almost every aspect of production and post-production. we need to be in a place where he can find work. i'll likely be pursuing my bachelor's degree and working part time, so he'll have to be the breadwinner for a while.

question 2) what kind of day or weekend trips can we take from austin? here in brooklyn we're in a city but can take trips to the mountains for snowboarding or hiking, the beach, etc. what do you guys do for weekend trips away?

thanks in advance for any input : )

1. Degree in film is meaningless. Experience is nice. Who you know/reputation is everything. This is one industry that is impossible to get from outside Austin and you just need to come here and start talking to everyone. BTW - it's totally doable - a fair number of people make careers out of it here. It's tremendously hard work but a lot of fun as well.

2. There are a fair number of day trips available in Austin - but it's about managing expectations. Let's get the first part out of the way - there is no ocean side beach, no mountain for skiing snow boarding near by.

There is the Texas coast - but the nearest beaches are not really a day trip (and not all that great) and the best beaches require a weekend at least to make it worth while.

That being said, Austin is on the edge of the Texas Hill Country which is the best part of Texas. Hilly and filled with live oaks, criss crossed with streams and dotted with little towns to explore. There are decent towns in virtually every direction worthy of exploration on a day trip. There is decent, but not spectacular hiking (even in town through Barton Creek). One of my favorite day trips just involves knocking around Enchanted Rock (look it up) and then grabbing some german grub in a Fredericksburg biergarten.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,885,982 times
I don't know - I know some people who tried to make it here with film careers and moved to or back to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin