Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzillr8 View Post
In my case, I am purchasing a property in which the tax records show a 1590 s/f house. However, the property has a 2100 s/f main house and also a 1700 s/f guest house (built in 2011). So, I assume the owner added on to the main house and then later constructed the guest house.

My main concern is: how do you think this will affect me down the road with the property tax office? Could I potentially be subjected to "back taxes" to make up for all the years this extra house and additional s/f has gone un-noticed by them? Am I obligated to disclose this information to them? I'd like to know now what I might be getting myself in to, if and once they notice it. Thanks.
You should ask for advice from an attorney or your Realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 07:43 PM

206 posts, read 299,041 times
Get the appraisal with the complete sqft and value. Update your tax office. If the taxes are paid off and you didn't assume the liability for the previous months/year taxes, I see no worries, because you assume tax liability once you sign and take possession with the updated appraisal and sqft.

Only problem is if the add-on were not permitted and if they were required then they need to be permitted and inspected, headache if you search and read similar stories on here.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:15 PM

55 posts, read 74,201 times
Texas is a non disclosure state, I'd leave the tax record alone. Wouldn't hurt to ask a real estate lawyer to make sure.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:13 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
My home has 33% more square footage than the county says it does, I'm not saying squat

Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Yes, the tax record isn't as significant BUT if all that work was done without a permit? THAT is a problem.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
The extra sq footage is the basement, pretty sure it was there before they built the house on top of it.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
The extra sq footage is the basement, pretty sure it was there before they built the house on top of it.
Not many places across the country count the basement as sqft of the house, even when it's finished out.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:42 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Not many places across the country count the basement as sqft of the house, even when it's finished out.
In some places, finished walk out basements count. I seem to have read that in some other places they do have a method for counting "finished below grade square footage" as well, but I don't remember where that was. It's really spotty.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
Our home is 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 bath 1750 sf, our daughters family is moving in with us, they have 7 family members that's 9 altogether. Had to find a bigger space. Looked for a long time finally found one 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths 2600 sf according to MLS listing, liked the location plus 1.1 acre of land. Older home so needed lots of updates, some mildue/mold, all windows, fencing etc. Home not taken care of stuff. A couple of times it crossed our minds that it seemed so much smaller than 2600 sf should be. But the price was right $196,000 for us. Before committing I was browsing through other housing sites and realized that house had several different sizes on sf depending on site. Immediately called our realtor to get the straight scoop. She got hold of listing realtor and was assured 2600 was accurate and professionally measured. So we went through with a contract feeling funny but after all we are not professionals. Then the appraisal came back, 1615 sf total living space, (smaller than our present home)unfinished basement (no heat or air) was 418 sf, garage 567 sf. a 985 sf difference in actual living area..What do we do. Our home is now under contract both to close on Aug. 5th.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimidockery View Post
Our home is 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 bath 1750 sf, our daughters family is moving in with us, they have 7 family members that's 9 altogether. Had to find a bigger space. Looked for a long time finally found one 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths 2600 sf according to MLS listing, liked the location plus 1.1 acre of land. Older home so needed lots of updates, some mildue/mold, all windows, fencing etc. Home not taken care of stuff. A couple of times it crossed our minds that it seemed so much smaller than 2600 sf should be. But the price was right $196,000 for us. Before committing I was browsing through other housing sites and realized that house had several different sizes on sf depending on site. Immediately called our realtor to get the straight scoop. She got hold of listing realtor and was assured 2600 was accurate and professionally measured. So we went through with a contract feeling funny but after all we are not professionals. Then the appraisal came back, 1615 sf total living space, (smaller than our present home)unfinished basement (no heat or air) was 418 sf, garage 567 sf. a 985 sf difference in actual living area..What do we do. Our home is now under contract both to close on Aug. 5th.
Wow!!! NINE people in 1600 sq ft? I hope some of them are babies!

You "lost" 1/3 of the living space you thought you contracted for! Are you sure the number of rooms is correct?

Even a fixer at a buck twenty-two a sq foot on over an acre sounds "OK"; but it's location, location, location! Too many factors to say whether this might still be a viable deal. It sure doesn't pass the 'smell test' according to your story.

I'd sure want to know who 'imagined' that original square footage...It honestly doesn't sound like it is what you need(decent sized garage,though )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: