Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
I need to ask some things about master planned communities and the burbs and some of you may not like what I have to say. When I see these places they just look so fake to me. Everything seems so pristine and planned and just unoriginal.
Your observations are 100% accurate.

Next question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:27 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,280 times
to the poster that said look on the east coast or midwest.....well not everyone wants to FREEZE their butts of or shovel snow, no thanks, i would like in a tract on top of each other any day of the week rather than that!!!

I will take my chances on searching for the perfect area for us in the outer cities of Austin!!

Old 09-07-2007, 06:54 PM

225 posts, read 851,303 times
In the little towns/suburbs there are plenty of houses that have character, like on main in RR or Gerogetown, you just have to decide if you want to remodel, if not already and if you want to chance lead paint in homes before
74,I think, we lived in a house bulit in 73 in CO. full of character (yet remodeled) and we
just never felt secure with the fact lead could be seeping in somewhere, which they say can happen. SO that being said we bought a brand new house here, (mold free) less then 10 min. away from DH work, it is awesome to have no commute, family time is way more important to us Life is what you make of it, where ever you call home

Last edited by newrrmom; 09-07-2007 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Alot of the homes around Main in RR and in Georgetown central have probably already been upgraded, hopefully with lead free paint and plumbing.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 PM

225 posts, read 851,303 times
Yeah I am sure they are too, but the thing that scared me (reading too much into it), if the lead based paint isn't removed properly the hazard of it can be worse, which was in our case we were unsure because we did not do remodel ourselves, so basically you are counting on whoever did it that they did it right... also the soil surrounding a home is subject to it still, so if you have little ones playing in the dirt- just more worries
So actually glad we only stayed there a year, less stress this way!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Wow. No kidding...That's almost TOO much to think about! I've heard that about the paint, but not the soil.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM

11 posts, read 47,861 times
Default Glad you love Austin but the weather aint nothin like Hawaii, thats for sure

We are relocating to Austin from Honolulu, hopefully we will love it, in fact I'm sure we will. However, and I'm absolutely not trying to be rude at all, but just want to clarify, the weather there is nothing like Hawaii. We get miserable if it ever gets above 85 degrees. The cool tradewinds never stop and on the rare occaision that they do we feel like 90 degrees is simply going to kill us. If it were not for the ridiculous cost of living we would never leave our home here. Imagine if even the crappiest house in all of Austin were a minimum of $650k, well, thats Hawaii. And thats why we are priced right out of our own land. I have visited Austin but never lived there, so we come there with an open mind and an open heart. We hear such great things about living in Austin....please, please let it be true ....

Quote:
I actually wrote a very positive post a couple days back about how much we loved Austin. I mean LOVED it! We grew up in SoCal and currently live in NorCal. I can't imagine you not liking this place. It is laid back and just feels like a home should feel...safe, comfortable, interesting and the people are just plain great (I ran into a couple that were lame, but still). We drove through Austin, the east and south and up through Round Rock and Cedar Park. Also, through the Lake and the Steiner Ranch area (the hills are really breathtaking but it seems like a very upper crust area to me). Even SOCO (which we loved!) seemed a little pretentious in parts. We actually felt most at home on the east side because we grew up in an area like that. We also like bungalows (I'm sure that's a Cali thing), but even the crappy run down ones are almost out of our price range We will be renting for awhile anyhow, but when we buy it will likely be under $200k. Also, the weather was great while we were there (we were hoping for the worst so we could get a good feel), but it was very tropical...like being in Hawaii
You can always PM me with questions if you'd like......

Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
We get miserable if it ever gets above 85 degrees. The cool tradewinds never stop and on the rare occaision that they do we feel like 90 degrees is simply going to kill us. If it were not for the ridiculous cost of living we would never leave our home here.
Prepare for misery.....why in the world would you move here KNOWING that hot, stagnant weather makes you miserable? Just because it's 'cheap'? Let me tell you, it AINT that cheap! Why not look at other places?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:36 AM

445 posts, read 1,810,280 times
I agree with mimi......especially if you are not used to heat!! We were in Hawaii a month ago, and let me tell ya, that is a walk in th epark, yes you need to prepare to be miserable!! And i do not even live there yet, but we live in the desert, Temecula CA, and it is easily over 100....daily, and we are fine with it...

Maybe you should look somewhere like San Diego or something, it is expensive too, but not $650k for a dump.

Jumping in and moving to a place, that you think you will be able to adjust, never having lived in real heat before, would be scary!! That would be like being from somehwere cold and saying i am moving to Arizona, it will be ok, and i will adjust- PROBABLY NOT!!! No matter how cheap it is!! You don't want to be miserable, just to own a house!~!!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Quote:
But, I need to ask some things about master planned communities and the burbs and some of you may not like what I have to say. When I see these places they just look so fake to me. Everything seems so pristine and planned and just unoriginal. I really WANT to like these areas because that is the only affordable option and everyone says how good the schools are. Who lives in these places? Would an artist and musician feel at home? Can someone living in these areas enlighten me and tell me why the burbs are not as bad as they are in my mind?
Also, are there any interesting shops or coffee places in these areas...other than box stores?

thanks for your understanding
So is this a question or a comment?

Either way I don't understand; you don't like it, fine, no one is asking you to. You WANT to like it because you like the price.... Kind of inverted thinking IMHO. You should like somewhere because it appeals to your values of what you want out of a residence, then you start looking for something you can afford. My suggestion - downsize the kind of place you are looking for to meet the criteria for where you want to live....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin