Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zllw4 View Post
One of the great things about the USA is that we all have the chance to live where we want. Some like Downtowns, some like Mid-towns, and some like the 'Burbs, and some like small towns or farms. I say live where the amenities and attractions fit your lifestyle...
How dare you favor personal choice! I want to see Stalinist drab uniform housing, clothing, stores and jobs for everyone. Yes, Stalin had it right. Everyone was so happy under Soviet rule. Especially the official party members who were able to choose freely to live like... uhhh... like we do in the... ummmm... USA...... Hmm, maybe you have a good point....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:46 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,747 times
Great thread.
While I understand everyone has different priorities for where and how they live, I do beleive that the more houses are mass produced by major builders, the larger the cost gap between these and "one of a kind" housing will be, to the point where only the VERY rich will be able to build custom homes, and eventually, there just wont be any custom homes built new.

Homes will pretty much be like cars..(if they arent already) "I got the camry but mine is RED and I got the "custom" rims AND Mp3 !! "

Now Toyota is a great car and I defy anyone to go out and build their own , so , while we still have the chance to build custom homes (still costly) do if you can before its too late

**Not to be take seriously**
***Blatantly biased poster***

Cheers

Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
Great thread.
While I understand everyone has different priorities for where and how they live, I do beleive that the more houses are mass produced by major builders, the larger the cost gap between these and "one of a kind" housing will be, to the point where only the VERY rich will be able to build custom homes...
Perhaps you've heard the recent news about "McMansions" --- the ginormous spec houses and custom homes that have been all the rage for the past decade. They're not selling any more, so there's a new forecast saying that builders are going to downsize new houses for a while because the market has changed so dramatically.

I see this as a very positive trend because gigantic houses require a lot more resources and energy, and they create more impervious cover. People don't need that much space. Most of it seems to be tied up in ego and status rather than pragmatic issues. I've been happier in my 400 square foot apartment than I was in my 900 square foot house. The only thing I miss is being able to run around from room to room chasing my dog. That game gets old fast when you only have 400 square feet!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 31,889 times
No body lives in Austin we all live in the suburbs that is Austin. Cedar Park,Leander, Liberty Hill ,Lake Travis, Dripping Springs,Wimberley just go to any of the little towns that are west of I35 and you are good the towns that are east of 35 for quite a few miles are trashy dirty little towns stay west and everything is very cool! these are the real places to live around Austin.These areas have the best Schools and are just better area's sorry if I offended anyone from Manor,Elgin,Hutto (better than the others), Pflugerville,Del Valle.Schools are not good look at the School rankings.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 15,115 times
Central Austin used to be the most affordable best place to live $300.00 per month for a house in Zilker in 1980, well, it just isn't so anymore. There are still nice centrally located places to live, but get out the checkbook. As far as crime infested and harboring rats?! Pleeeeze!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjray View Post
No body lives in Austin we all live in the suburbs that is Austin. Cedar Park,Leander, Liberty Hill ,Lake Travis, Dripping Springs,Wimberley just go to any of the little towns that are west of I35 and you are good the towns that are east of 35 for quite a few miles are trashy dirty little towns stay west and everything is very cool! these are the real places to live around Austin.These areas have the best Schools and are just better area's sorry if I offended anyone from Manor,Elgin,Hutto (better than the others), Pflugerville,Del Valle.Schools are not good look at the School rankings.
I'm biting my tongue, I'm biting my tongue!!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
No body lives in Austin we all live in the suburbs that is Austin. .
We do?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times
I beg you not to make the mistake of moving to the suburbs!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Why is moving to the suburbs a mistake? It may not be your personal favorite, but other people may not find it to be a mistake.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that they are tripping merrily over a bridge while there are rumblings from below?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin