Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,324 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Austin in June and I've been looking for apartments that are close to downtown as well as St. Edwards with a budget of $1100.

I've been considering Platinum Southside apartments located in 625 East Stassney Lane because of how close it is to downtown/st. edwards/barton creek mall as well as the many eateries within walking distance or a short drive away. The only thing I am unsure of is the neighborhood.

Is East Stassney considered a relatively safe neighborhood or should I be looking for other safer options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM

238 posts, read 365,166 times
I don't know much about Stassney as far as safety.. but I'd look closer to St. Ed's if that is your main obligation. I live in a 2BR apt in a private owned fourplex literally across the street from St. Ed's (off Woodward) and I pay only $800/mo. It's not luxury by any means but it's close enough to ride a bike to downtown. It's just away from the mall shopping & restaurants you mentioned..

Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,226 times
There's a lot of new development around there, so that area has picked up considerably, but traditionally that would be stretch to call it a safe area. I would proceed cautiously.

Looking at the gallery, the complex looks nice. It may be well protected and safe.

I would just be concerned about traffic on that I35 stretch (aka "The Motor Mile" due to all the car dealers between Ben White and William Cannon). I tend to avoid I35 completely.

Also, the neighborhoods on the other side of I35 at Stassney & Wm Cannon are in a higher crime areas.

As for other areas, I've had some friends that lived in apartments near Barton Creek Mall (maybe something like Barton Creek Skyway Apartments) and seemed to be nice. I drive Ben White everyday and the traffic is not bad. Getting to St Edwards would not take long. If you move to Austin, you will find there are a lot of side streets that can get you where you want to go if traffic is bad. That definitely holds true for the area around St. Edwards.

There's also a lot of new stuff on South Congress, which has been transformed into a trendy area. My guess is they might be pricey.

Good luck. Post updates on your search.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
It's an okay neighborhood crime wise, much better than Dove Springs on the other side of 35. Still it doesn't feel like a neighborhood to me and is bounded by big roads/highways on all sides.

I might grade this area more by the apartment complex you are looking at. They are big and if you feel good there then that is half your answer.

They are starting to build condos on Congress nearby which is a good sign. You are also within walking distance of a movie theater, grocery store and sushi restaurant which is pretty cool.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM

206 posts, read 370,273 times
78744 has a lower crime rate than 78745. 78744 is the east side of the highway. 78745 is the west side.

Last edited by suit-n-tie white guy; 03-12-2012 at 07:58 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,226 times
2010 APD data shows that 78744 and 78745 are both among the higher in the city.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/police...x_zip_1210.pdf

zip Indexed Non-Indexed Combined

78744 2,764 6,033 8,797
78745 3,384 6,409 9,793

Looks like I35 is the border, so either way you are right between two areas among highest crime rate.
I like their disclaimer....
How to Use This Information
  • Don't rely on statistics alone. Statistics can lead to false impressions. For example, locations near shopping centers or commercial property may appear to have a high crime rate simply because of minor shoplifting cases.
  • Gather a variety of information. Visit neighborhoods and observe the surroundings. Are the homes and yards well-maintained? Are residents walking with children or pets? Are children playing unsupervised? If so, residents probably feel safe. Are burglar bars frequently used? If so, residents have probably experienced significant crime. Talk to residents or contact neighborhood associations for more information.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM

100 posts, read 258,482 times
I lived in the 1800 block of East Stassney when I first moved to Austin early last year. Didn't care for it much... didn't feel it was as conveniently located as I was led to believe when I first rented my apartment over there. Never had anything happen to me, but cop cars around the complex every night, lots of weirdos drugged out and walking around, tons of car break-ins... Didn't feel like I was living in Austin. Couldn't walk anywhere, and the complexes are mega-chains.

For what it's worth, the apartment was big. But it also tacked on TONS of somewhat-hidden fees every month, and was pretty old looking. Overpriced, given the location.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,324 times
Thanks for your input guys, I'm probably going to look around for other apartments around barton springs and close to south congress. Haven't found any that I like more than this current apartment yet, but if safety is going to be an issue, I'd rather not risk it.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitressinthesky View Post
I lived in the 1800 block of East Stassney when I first moved to Austin early last year. Didn't care for it much... didn't feel it was as conveniently located as I was led to believe when I first rented my apartment over there. Never had anything happen to me, but cop cars around the complex every night, lots of weirdos drugged out and walking around, tons of car break-ins... Didn't feel like I was living in Austin. Couldn't walk anywhere, and the complexes are mega-chains.

For what it's worth, the apartment was big. But it also tacked on TONS of somewhat-hidden fees every month, and was pretty old looking. Overpriced, given the location.
Just wondering what extra apt fees there were? When I rented back in 2000 things were pretty straightforward.

And zip codes don't tell the whole story either since many are quite big and diverse. Better to use the COA crime viewer to analyze buffer areas around a specific address.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 AM

170 posts, read 827,003 times
I lived in that area for six months when I moved to Austin -- I lived in Regency Park Apartments just behind Platinum on Little Texas Lane. There are several complexes in that little pocket of Stassney and Little Texas Lane between Congress and 35. I heard "horror stories" on City Data before moving in, just like you might have. I loved it! Beautiful complexes, great apartments, decent prices... I felt like I was living on a resort! (I came from NYC and lived in a neighborhood that resembled a resort in no way, shape, or form... you may have a different idea). I never experienced crime or knew anyone else who did... although it does happen. They told us the most common crime was car break-ins. So I rented a garage. Problem solved. I loved it, and those apartments really are nice, considering price and location. Check it out before you discredit it. And like everything else, take what you read on this website with a grain of salt. The people who contribute have helped me immensely... but we all have our own unique circumstances, so what doesn't work for somebody else might be just perfect for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin