Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,031 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm looking at Austin as a place to live and start my business. I run a mind/body/spirit studio that will have yoga, Nia, and also metaphysical type workshops and movies. Is Austin a good fit for this kind of thing? Obviously I need a community that is progressive, liberal, and dare I say it--"New-Agey".

My other concern is the heat. I'm in NC right now and LOVE the weather here. I am originally from Ohio where I hated being cooped up indoors for months on end because the winters were so cold and gray. I don't want to get into the same problem in Texas, where I have to be cooped up for a big chunk of the year because it's so hot. So how bad is the heat? Do you spend most of the year indoors in the AC? I'd love to hear input and get a better feel for what it would be like to live in Austin.

Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
As for your kind of business, yes, it will be (and is) readily accepted here and has been for as long as I can remember (and I've been here since 1969!).

As for the heat, yes, it gets quite hot here. Whether or not that will coop you up depends on you, individually. Some folks can't deal with it at all. Others go out in the early morning and late in the evening. Others are out in it all day. It all depends on their individual tolerance for heat. Myself, I don't do cold well but have little trouble with the heat (and we do have air conditioning pretty much everywhere to get out of it for periods of time).

Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
I can speak from the POV of a business owner -- TX is light years ahead of most states these days as far as being business-friendly is concerned. However, NC is up there too, so you'd be looking at a marginal improvement as far as the business climate, even though Texas' income tax (personal and corporate) is lower than North Carolina's (there isn't one).

Austin is probably the most New-Agey of any city its size in Texas (and famous for it) though in some respects it won't compare to a huge city like Houston or Dallas. I doubt you'd have a problem though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin