Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:25 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times

Advertisements

There's also a Marquis on Barton Creek Blvd. They're townhouse/apartment units. The commute would consist of either Barton Creek to Bee Cave to 360 or Barton Creek to Lost Creek to 360. He'd be going against traffic on 360, so I can't imagine it'd be too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times
Quote:
Great now he has decided buying would be better, roller coaster of fun here!
He sounds like a pain in the ass.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
A lot of homes that rent for less than $1800 in South/SW Austin.

There is a 3 bedroom with a good back yard for $1500 down the street from me.
Good neighborhood on a dead end street, with not thru traffic.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM

174 posts, read 311,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A lot of homes that rent for less than $1800 in South/SW Austin.

There is a 3 bedroom with a good back yard for $1500 down the street from me.
Good neighborhood on a dead end street, with not thru traffic.
He is not particularly impressed with south/south west austin... he is currently subleasing a room there right now, he thinks its a bit dirty and rundown. I have no reference point because i have never actually been there, I have only ever been to Fort Worth (airport) and driven through Amarillo on my way home to CA (southern route, because the mountains had 4ft of snow).

A lot of the rental properties you guys are suggesting have almost full occupancy and breed restrictions on the husky. Although I'm not as worried about that because the dog is currently with his father in Illinois while I show our home (sheds like no other!).

I think he is just going to have to bite the bullet though. I'm less demanding than he is and generally just go with the flow (this is what happens when you grow up in a beach town I suppose).

He is now looking closer to downtown. His coworkers and current roommates have made strong cases for them. He has looked at a couple of places and is thinking of a condo somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K. I think that is just outrageous for a condo, these are worse than Orange county prices, and it reminds me a great deal of when I was younger and my parents bought their house in the 1989 for about $195K and in 2005 these houses were going for $800K+, Im sorry but I never thought that house was worth that amount and obviously there was a real estate crash and those houses "lost" 300-350k of their "worth"... is austin going through a similar boom? I just don't see how the heck that can possibly be worth it... I don't like to see houses as an investment, but I also wouldn't want to our asses to something like that. He seems set on a condo now but i feel like houses are a better idea at this point. Ugh. I'm going to go for a run in a forest here in Iowa to work out the frustration, possibly bang my head against a tree in the process!

Is there a decent website that does a good job explaining the general locations of Austin so I can get a better idea of what the heck he's referring to? I ask him to take photos with his iPhone but he always forgets.

He is loving the weather right now though

Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
I don't think there are many places at all left in the US currently in a real estate boom. I would certainly not call Austin's current market a boom, even though it has picked up recently.

I am curious which part of south/southwest Austin he is in that is "dirty and rundown" - this can be true in south-central but is less true the further West you go (and there are some places in south central/SE that are pretty nice)

Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM

174 posts, read 311,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
He sounds like a pain in the ass.
He certainly can be...

He is just very fickle and has high expectations. I'd fault him but he never does anything half assed, when we did all the work to our house he did nothing but the best because he didn't want anyone to get something crappy.

I on the other hand just tend to go with the flow. My only demands are safe neighborhood and wood/laminate/tile floors (i have horrible dust allergies).

Come to think of it when we were first dating he thought my studio apartment was a "dump" because i had outside parking and just a 2 burner stove. But it was a 450 sq foot place that had a full bath and full kitchen (minus the 2 burner stove) I actually loved the place... but he has never really had to worry about things because his family paid for his schooling, car etc etc. I on the other hand haven't had that luxury and have had to pay my own way.

But according to another poster I should be worried about losing him because the educated, athletic and fantastic austin girls will be throwing themselves at him while he's down there and I'm up here. Austin just sounds like a pain in my butt right now

kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin