Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Agreed. Austin, and, frankly, most of Texas, is not and never was Southern (unless you count Mexico as "Southern").

Old 05-28-2014, 10:29 PM

440 posts, read 714,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
SW Austin is like the East Bay of the Bay Area, or think the N VA suburbs of DC.
SW Austin is more like Berkeley than Oakland, although it's neither. 80s Austin was more like 70s Santa Fe than to Oakland or Houston, because Austin's always been about creative types. Or perhaps Austin was more like Champaign, Illinois, with a funky offbeat college town vibe - until the Californians started their invasion in the early 90s and severely diluted the population.

I'm tired of young people looking at me and wondering why anyone over 40 could possibly live here unless they had a wad of cash and some good plastic surgery. I didn't have that attitude when I was a teenager, but we didn't obsess over every facet of our image, either.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Agreed. Austin, and, frankly, most of Texas, is not and never was Southern (unless you count Mexico as "Southern").
"Most" must exclude the eastern 1/3. Topographically, culturally - heck, even down to the pine trees stretching to the sky, East Texas - behind the Pine Curtain - might as well be Mississippi.

The debate has raged on here forever. Texas is its own unique blend of Western and Southern. It is neither, exclusively. There are elements of each. We are on a seam, and our culture reflects that.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:40 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
They even like *gasp* pork BBQ in east TX.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I was bred, born, and raised in East Texas. It is MORE like the South than the vast majority of Texas, but the South it is not; the influences that are so strong in the rest of Texas have had their influence there, as well. One could accurately say that it was influenced by the South just as South Texas and part of West Texas was influenced by Mexico.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
My resounding answer to the question remains YES! I have nothing against too many people but as an earlier poster said the new Austin seems to value little other than:
Quote:
Build, advertise, sell. Build more!
I think it there is very little thought given to the long-term quality of life in this city. Just keep them coming, throw up some over-priced, tinderbox VMU apartments on arterials. Fell the woods and greenery for large business complexes. It only seems to be about greed and money.
For those of us who have been here a LONG time, the laid-back feeling is mostly gone. I walk through my neighborhood and wonder who are these people tearing down our neighborhood bit by bit and putting in gigantic houses?
We're not in Austin anymore.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I was bred, born, and raised in East Texas. It is MORE like the South than the vast majority of Texas, but the South it is not; the influences that are so strong in the rest of Texas have had their influence there, as well. One could accurately say that it was influenced by the South just as South Texas and part of West Texas was influenced by Mexico.
I don't think we are that far apart. It is just that when one drives I-20 westbound, it is difficult to tell the difference between Jackson, Shreveport, and Longview. It isn't until you get to Terrell, that it changes - and the change from Terrell to Mineral Wells is like you drove from Mississippi to Wyoming.

To get back to the original point, Austin IS southern. It is also western (especially southwestern), with a strong Hispanic flavor. We may be more balanced between all the influences than any city in the state. But they are all in the stew called Austin.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 AM

115 posts, read 160,655 times
In the 20 year plus that have been visiting Texas, I would say that in general it may have some characteristics from the south, some of the west but mostly is a really unique peculiar nice blend.

In Austin I find a nice blend of people, and even that many people don't like to even think about, I like the Californians that I have met here. I like Austin, still is Texas but with its own relaxed style. I prefer it over Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
But they are all in the stew called Austin.
With or without beans?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
With or without beans?

See, that's the problem. Some folks think any spicy stew is chili. So they put pasta, tomatoes, rice .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin