Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I want live music, good people, relaxed pace, less stress and more fun. Hills, nature, lakes, etc.

Of course this is nothing in comparison to what I am used to as Houston is a really industrial looking town by comparison to California looking Austin.
Austin IS exactly what the first sentence above says. Your stress should be low unless you drive on IH35 or Mopac during rush hour.

I lived in Houston for several years, and traveled their dozens of times per year for many years. I think Houston is Texas' version of LA. Not so star studded of course. But it is big, kinda uncontrolled, messy, with lots to do in the big city sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:28 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
I do have to say that Houston is a wannabe Los Angeles for sure. Sprawl, crime, gangs, ritzy areas like River Oaks, wannabe exclusive club scene. Instead of movie stars it's big whigs in the oil and gas, real estate and legal rackets.

I got confused when someone said that Houston is the wannabe poor man's LA.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Yeah, not sure we should open that can of worms!

There's definite change.... good or bad? Depends on who you ask.

People move from big cities and complain we have all the big-city problems, but don't have the big-city amenities. So yes, we have major traffic woes now, high rents, and sprawl. Yet lacking in high arts/culture like great museums, public transit, high-end shopping, food from all backgrounds/areas. We're in an awkward growing stage right now with a bit of lack in identity compared to the past, due to the huge influx of new residents.

Does that help answer your question at all?

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think Houston is Texas' version of LA.
Eh, sort of. Except WAY more down-to-earth, way less expensive, and more genuine.

Also, L.A. is rather overrated IMO, while Houston is underrated. There's a big-money element in Houston for sure, but they keep it pretty under the radar, unlike Dallas.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Yes, you never see the ultra wealthy in Houston except for in the popular city magazines like 002 Mag.

Every other major city I've been to like Boston, NYC, Miami, the wealthy flaunt their stuff like no other. You will feel like a pauper in those towns. Houston though gives you the impression that it's just you and the city and nothing seems too exclusive.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Also, L.A. is rather overrated IMO, while Houston is underrated. There's a big-money element in Houston for sure, but they keep it pretty under the radar, unlike Dallas.
I agree with this. But I think California is overrated.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 PM

Why is Cali overrated?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:41 AM

^I'm guessing because of the very high cost of living and high taxes with large entitlement spending and business-unfriendly atmosphere. The political climate is extreme in areas too. Then add all of the cities there that have the worst air pollution in the country. L.A is particularly overrated because it gets so much positive attention (nice portrayals in movies, TV and songs) but doesn't live up to that in reality IMO for most people; there are many other places in CA I think are much nicer.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
^I'm guessing because of the very high cost of living and high taxes with large entitlement spending and business-unfriendly atmosphere. The political climate is extreme in areas too.
+1

*Everything* is more expensive here, from housing to gasoline to peanut butter. (Gas is going up right now here due to a West coast refinery issue, while I hear it's going down elsewhere) By the time you pay all your various taxes, fees and costs, like my $317 annual car registration and the monthly earthquake insurance premium, there's just not that much left. My tiny raise just bumped me into the 9.3% state tax bracket.

If you have the resources to live along the coast, California is spectacular. Naturally, the major cities along the coast are insanely unaffordable. So, most newcomers these days live inland - and to be honest, once you're a couple hours away from the coast, you're still paying through the nose to live in CA but you're not getting much of the scenic benefit. At that point, you might as well live in Nevada or Texas (I'm planning *my* return to Austin somewhere around New Year's... and since I lived there before, I don't have to ask where the decent neighborhoods and apple fritters are located!).

Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Why is Cali overrated?
Besides weather and geographic features, what makes California so desirable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: