Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 PM

390 posts, read 671,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgebats View Post

This is coming from someone who lived/ went to school in one of those specific neighborhoods growing up and remembers a group of kids bullying someone in middle school just because they admitted that their family was atheist. While the city as a whole votes Democrat, our mock elections always leaned towards Republican candidates. They were overwhelmingly democrat when I went to school east of Mopac. These neighborhoods are far more conservative than many other parts of Austin- Just because people want their neighborhoods to be welcoming and open to others does not mean that they will be.

How long has it been since you were in school? The world has become a lot more understanding of same sex families in the last 10-15 years. I was just listening to NPR yesterday and a representative from the Log Cabin Republicans was talking about how marriage equality is almost a non-issue for people under 30.

I can't speak for my entire neighborhood (Circle C), but I can't imagine any of my neighbors or friends having any issues with a two mom family at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM

47 posts, read 73,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
How long has it been since you were in school? The world has become a lot more understanding of same sex families in the last 10-15 years. I was just listening to NPR yesterday and a representative from the Log Cabin Republicans was talking about how marriage equality is almost a non-issue for people under 30.

I can't speak for my entire neighborhood (Circle C), but I can't imagine any of my neighbors or friends having any issues with a two mom family at all.
I have not yet reached my 10-year high school reunion. I will note that the more conservative people that I went to school with lived farther away from downtown and went to those mega churches that regularly preach against single sex marriages.

I learned a lesson a few months ago when I joined the listserv of a nearby neighborhood- I assumed that most people would be tolerant towards differences in a central Austin neighborhood, but was shocked to see post after post from community members engaging in racial profiling. They actually called 911 because an African American male was walking down the sidewalk "suspiciously." I could not believe what I was reading, especially in Austin, but the fact is that these types of people do still exist.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM

98 posts, read 187,401 times
EZ, the purpose of this forum is for people to pitch their neighborhoods whether they are what the OP is looking for or not.. House prices can't support themselves, you know.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap92 View Post
EZ, the purpose of this forum is for people to pitch their neighborhoods whether they are what the OP is looking for or not.. House prices can't support themselves, you know.
I get the sarcasm, but this forum is not intended to be that (at least IMO), and I don't think it is. While there is a bit of group-hype (i.e. "Oh, you HAVE to get in Eanes if you want the best schools") that makes some neighborhoods way over-priced and over-hyped, on the whole, responses should be directed to what the OP is looking for.

And, house prices do support themselves, it's called a free market. If it gets over-valued, it collapses - under-valued, prices rise.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM

98 posts, read 187,401 times
The problem is that people look for answers and they get the following:

I'm a gay/atheist/minority with 6 adopted kids looking for suggestions. Anyone?

response ---> *crickets*

I forgot to mention that I'm spending 500k on a house.

response --> ooh move to my neighborhood! Circle C/Steiner/Avery/Teravista/(fill-in-the-brand) would be perfect! Here's a link to the by far most expensive house in our neighborhood. Please buy it!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Well, way off topic here, but yes - I see that as being a problem IF it occurs. Big difference in assuming that this is the only intent of the entire forum, as it's not. Please re-read the OP's question and responses. Outside of one, you won't find what you've just described as a pervasive.

And last I looked through here, I didn't find any links to any houses in any thread. (except for the one about the crazy high dollar auction house).

OK, moving on now.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Actually, it is against the TOS to push a certain neighborhood for commercial gain, as is posting MLS links.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
I learned a lesson a few months ago when I joined the listserv of a nearby neighborhood- I assumed that most people would be tolerant towards differences in a central Austin neighborhood, but was shocked to see post after post from community members engaging in racial profiling. They actually called 911 because an African American male was walking down the sidewalk "suspiciously." I could not believe what I was reading, especially in Austin, but the fact is that these types of people do still exist.
There's a shock - judging people by where they lived turned out to be incorrect. You might find that you are just as wrong when you judge XYZ neighborhood's acceptance of single gender families by the way they vote, or what size churches they attend.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM

47 posts, read 73,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
There's a shock - judging people by where they lived turned out to be incorrect. You might find that you are just as wrong when you judge XYZ neighborhood's acceptance of single gender families by the way they vote, or what size churches they attend.
If you are referring to my previous post, it wasn't based on judgement, but actual personal experience of people sharing their views and living in the neighborhood that the OP wants to live in. Have you been to the church that I was referencing before? Yes, a sizable group of the students who live in one of the neighborhoods goes to said unnamed mega church. This mega church, and I can find a transcript if you'd like, specifically preaches against single-sex marriages with great emphasis. It's disgusting and I know that truly accepting individuals would not be able to put up with those types of sermons weekly. And really, how can you be pro gay marriage and vote for republican candidates that base their campaigns around that topic? I think it's pretty fair to guess that republican majority neighborhoods are going to be less accepting towards single sex couples.

I brought up the Central Austin story because it's an example of how we might not expect our lovely neighbors to be less accepting than we are. For pages of this thread, I've read "nobody will have any problems with you!!" and "I don't know anyone who would not welcome you!!!" We might want/ expect these things to happen, but the truth is that our neighbors have opinions of their own which might conflict with what you want.

The bottom line is that there are places where the OP is more likely to be accepted and there are places where she is more likely to have issues. Nothing is a guarantee and we should not respond to her as if it is a guarantee, Austin is so wonderful, etc.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
For pages of this thread, I've read "nobody will have any problems with you!!" and "I don't know anyone who would not welcome you!!!"
This statement is patently incorrect. Just about every response has been that on the majority, folks will be very accepting, but that there will be outliers to this, and that some areas may be more accepting than others. A couple have said "I don't know anyone who wouldn't be accepting", but that's different - that is their personal experience with their specific group of peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin