Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times

Advertisements

I have a Great Horned Owl in my backyard right now. I hadn't seen one in a while and it scared the crap out of me just a few minutes ago.

I was on my back deck watering my potted plants and it hooted that super loud deep hoot they do and scared the crap out of me. Can you imagine being a mouse and hearing that hoot? That would be like a lions roar to us humans. Anyway I ran upstairs and started looking out my windows and sure enough I found him sitting in one of the big old oaks just on the other side of the yard from the back deck. Very beautiful creatures.

We have lots of other smaller owls. We have these little owl boxes where they nest and have babies in the spring to early summer. The babies are very cute. But this is the first Great Horned Owl we have seen in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
They're magnificent creatures. One landed atop a telephone pole in my backyard once. Pretty awesome silhouette against a moonlit sky. Unforgettable.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
We saw one sitting on a wire behind our house a few months ago. They are very impressive indeed. I wish we saw them more often.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Awesome. I get a lot of barred owls in my backyard (backs up to a greenbelt). I've not seen a GH yet. I'm always worried about my cats though...Those things are BIG. Owls are so fascinating.

I love this site. Has all of the different owl hoots.

Owl Calls & Sounds - All Species

Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Cool, we hear Sreach Owls fairly often, and even put out an Owl nesting box in our live oak tree, but have not seen any sign anyone has used it yet. '

Love to hear that woo-ooo-ooo call.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Cool, we hear Sreach Owls fairly often, and even put out an Owl nesting box in our live oak tree, but have not seen any sign anyone has used it yet. '

My hand-crafted owl house is in a Cedar Elm. It was 'home' to squirrels for the first three years! 'Got' an owl family early this year. Pretty cool.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:57 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Awesome. I get a lot of barred owls in my backyard (backs up to a greenbelt). I've not seen a GH yet. I'm always worried about my cats though...Those things are BIG. Owls are so fascinating.

I love this site. Has all of the different owl hoots.

Owl Calls & Sounds - All Species
Very cool. Thank you. He quit hooting after the sun went down. We went out to eat and came back and he is still quiet. Or he may have gone out hunting. It is to dark to see if he is still there. Our screech owls are usually noisy at night, but I have never noticed our great horned owls noisy at night. Usually around dusk and dawn when it is a bit light. I wonder why that is?

That site is really cool. The owl we had tonight sounded a little different. He was a male and sounded really deep like that. But he was only doing like a 4-5 hoo sort of hoot. Like "Ho-Ho-Hoooo-Hoooo" with either 2-3 of the short hoos they start off their hoots with. On that recording of the male one it sounded like he was doing almost a dozen of them! I don't know I have ever heard one 'hoo' that many times in a row. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

I hope you get some next year! The babies are so cute. In late April and May they get out on the branches outside the box and make a HUGE racket. Very noisy. And when one falls they are even noisier. Somehow they manage to get back up. I don't know how. I don't think they can fly that young.

But we get them in our boxes from March to late May. We put the nesting material in there in winter and then clean it back out at some point during the summer. On one of the trees we had to put a metal guard so that critters don't get into it. We just went to Home Depot and they have metal you can buy and wrap around the tree and just nail it in. It seems to work alright.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Cool site Twange! From the sounds of it we have the horned owl pair back here too. I hear them all the time.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
The females have a slightly higher pitched call. So especially in the late winter, listen for the back and forth of males and females calling to each other. Its really neat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin