Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 PM

302 posts, read 690,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I am in the process of getting a landscape design for xeriscaping my front yard. The good part is that my neighbor will be doing it too, so we won't have a conflict over grass growing into the xeriscape. We live in Circle C ranch. If you want to look at the new guidelines from the HOA for xeriscaping, go to Circle C Homeowners Association, Inc. - Resource Center and select the front yard guidelines. Perhaps showing them to other HOAs might give them the idea.
I live in CCR too. Didn't realized they'd changed the rules.

The rules look pretty good now! What company are you using for your lawn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
Quote:
In fact putting in too much rock and gravel would just turn the community into a heat island
I see so many yards converting to mostly rock or gravel landscaping this past year or so. It worries me too since it just makes everything look and feel HOT. I wonder if we shouldn't be planting more trees, ie shade. I am considering planting mini "forests" in my yard. Watering trees makes more sense than watering lawns IMO.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I see so many yards converting to mostly rock or gravel landscaping this past year or so. It worries me too since it just makes everything look and feel HOT. I wonder if we shouldn't be planting more trees, ie shade. I am considering planting mini "forests" in my yard. Watering trees makes more sense than watering lawns IMO.
You are right about this. My yard is almost completely shaded, and I wouldn't change that (love my oaks.) Xeriscape is often associated with rock and cactus, but it doesn't have to be. After all, we are in Texas, not Arizona. I am looking at a rock/flagstone path and a small dry creek for drainage, but otherwise, mostly mulched areas and native plants. There's nothing wrong with planting trees (at the right time of year,) but do make sure you are not overcrowding them, and get some good consultation on what trees are best for your setting. And remember also that natural forests do have an understory - shorter plants that grow well under trees. Plant diversity and planting natives bring birds and other wildlife.

Last edited by G Grasshopper; 09-02-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 07:10 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
Quote:
And remember also that natural forests do have an understory - shorter plants that grow well under trees. Plant diversity and planting natives bring birds and other wildlife.
Yes that's my plan. Looking into permaculture ideas too.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 PM

78 posts, read 199,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
EDIT: "Soaker hoses on vegetable gardens" is an exemption specifically listed in the code it self.

Soaker Hose is defined in the code that is available from that website. Stage 2 Watering Restrictions | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

I originally assumed that a Soaker Hose was a type of Drip Irrigation system, but in the revised code it self, which is linked to on the City Website they are defined differently.

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def..._8-16-2012.pdf

Drip Irrigation is defined as:

Which is completely wrong in my opinion. Almost all drip irrigation system components that I have seen are above ground. It does say "typically" so it is questionable that burying it is a requirement.

A Soaker House is defined as: So you could bury your soaker hose under mulch or dirt and it would comply as a "Drip Irrigation" system.

And there is more:
Incorrect. A soaker hose and drip irrigation are very different things and burying a soaker hose will not be considered drip irrigation. The key difference is in the definitions; drip is perforated whereas soaker is porous. A drip irrigation system has strategically spaced holes punctured into the line and are permanently installed (like a sprinkler system). Drip irrigation systems can also be constructed from various materials including PVC pipe, metal, rubber, etc... Soaker hoses are made of a porous rubber material, mobile, and consume more water than drip (usually).

The reason for exempting drip irrigation systems is to encourage residents to invest in them. Out at Mueller many of the medians, some common areas, and many yards are irrigated using drip and they look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: