Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM

343 posts, read 1,608,517 times

Advertisements

Most big cities suck because they are too big, not because they don't
live up to an ideal. There are places that come close to ideal, but not over 100,000.
You get close to a million, like Austin, you get problems.
Here is the main problem......big cities are too large to make everyone happy. Too
much crime, traffic, noise, frustration et.al. I think people see Austin as a Boulder,
Colo. type-place. It isn't. Its just another big city, with big city prejudices and
problems. They all have the same stores, franchises, and such. If you've seen one,
you've seen them all. Same maddening commutes and all. The problem with Austin
is that people from other big cities think it is a singular situation per place and attitude.
It's all the same. While Austin might be an entrepreneurial and creative mecca, and
the live music capital, it has the same prejudices you see everywhere else.
Also, people bring their problems and attitudes with them from Cali, the midwest,
the south, and the rest of Texas, and tend to replicate them when they come here.
That being said, Austin is a pretty damn good place considering its size, don't you think?
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/images/040907cars.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by southwest1230; 10-10-2007 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,517 times
I want to qualify that I'm not knocking Austin at all. I think, as far as big cities go,
and it does rank 16th largest currently, it does quite well. That being said, many people expect it to have the qualities of, say, a smaller college-type city, like Madison, Wisc., which it very much isn't. The traffic is always mentioned as if its a great surprise, as if its a shock that a city with a growth rate close to Las Vegas, and a population projected to hit a million in less than 5 years(or sooner if they do some annexation), has TRAFFIC problems. I think I have it figured out. People come here for the reputation it had pre '93, when it was roughly half what it is now. The long term locals try to deny the growth best they can, by putting a monkey wrench in the way of proper infrastructure, as the developers build mega-apartment complex after complex, and leave it up to the city to fill in the space between them, which would include roads, entertainment amenities, libraries, parks, and such, which are lacking. Its a really weird city that way. I would have to say its the only major city that tries to deny growth by holding back infrastructure, yet gives builders carte blanche to build away. At the same time, people from other cities see Austin in their minds eye as if it was still the relatively provincial out-of-the-way arty mecca it once was. The old and the new together whine about the growth, and nothing changes. Personally, I think Austin miraculously is still livable despite the lack of planning and requisite infrastructure, which tells you how great it COULD be with the proper collective effort from everyone involved. I think its heading in the right direction, but still needs work. Its not just the lack of road infrastructure either. We need libraries, a park system in the newer areas N and NW, more strict zoning laws to broaden the quality of life, and so on. Also, it might be growing too fast to absorb all the newcomers properly, without unfairly ticking off the long term residents. Greedy developers, with their corrupt hands in the back pockets of the local politicians, imho have ruined it for everyone. What do they care? Just like the sub-prime meltdown, they build a sh*tload of projects, then move out-of-area or continue building the same crappy stuff down the road apiece. We, as citizens, need to take the reins from these Basta*d politicians and developers, and take Austin to where it needs to be. You can EASILY put a moratorium on growth. Portland, San Diego, and other places dictate to the developers what needs to be done, and where. Perhaps it is a reflection of Houstons lack of zoning, not sure, but I would imagine most Austinites don't want to be Houston west, particularly the folks from Houston, who came over here to get away from Houston in the first place...............

Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
As a former Houstonian who did just that, I couldn't agree more. Also, we could use more Parkland East and Northeast as well.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 PM

12 posts, read 53,861 times
I have read all your post .... I think you are on this site attempting to sway folks from moving to Austin.

Especially the ones that stay on the east side.

You told me that you missed Indy. BUT you grew up in BLACK neighborhood in Chicago THEN said Blacks have afros... I do not think your Hippie status reduces your bigotry. growing up In Chi as a non Black is tough. Especially on the South side. I know this to be true. I am sorry for you. There are other sites that welcome your type of movement.
PS A TRUE BEARS FAN CAN NEVER AND WILL NEVER CHEER FOR ANYONE ELSE
GO BEARS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: