Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:26 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,655,027 times

Advertisements

Anyone have these in their home? If so, how do you like them? What are your thoughts on resale value? Any dealers (or deals) you recommend?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,689,760 times
Don't know anything about them, but I would worry about their durability - limestone is pretty soft - and you would have to seal them, as well, or they would stain easily.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:38 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,225,800 times
Yes, as stones go, limestone is very soft and porous and I've been told before (while discussing different types of stones -- we were interested in bluestone) it is not recommended for high traffic areas. Also, it seems like the majority of porcelain tiles out there are mimicking the look of limestone which, to me, makes it harder to discern or appreciate the difference.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,319,925 times
I am of two minds as far as limestone floors, we have them in our place back in NY (kitchen) and they are beautiful. Warm golden color, fossilized sea shells and quartz in a few of the squares.

However, like most stone floors they require some real maintenance and need to be stripped and sealed about once a year.

So, gorgeous with some maintenance issues...like a few relationships I had when I was single!

Also be aware that some of the limestone tiles out there have some variation in the depth of the tile so you will need a very capable craftsman to lay the tile to avoid any peaks or valleys.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,128,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Don't know anything about them, but I would worry about their durability - limestone is pretty soft - and you would have to seal them, as well, or they would stain easily.
I second this. While it is attractive, limestone is soft, brittle, easy to damage and absorbs stains. I would look for a denser stone if you want to use it on the floor.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,124,507 times
We have a limestone capstone on top of a pillar on our porch, about a meter high. All it took was a toddler with a mallet (a wooden mallet from the kitchen, not a heavy tool) to "soften" the edges of the stone. I can't imagine having it as a floor! Keeping it level would seem to be a problem too.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:24 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,655,027 times
Eh, I'm not that dedicated. Maybe travertine is a slightly easier choice?

Debating between that and wood. Hmmm.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:57 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,166,377 times
Travertine will last forever! We have a nice noce versailles pattern laid down (100%) in our 4,440 sq ft home here in Phx. It's virtually indistructable. I plan to do a combination of travertine/wood when we come to Austin.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,453,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Eh, I'm not that dedicated. Maybe travertine is a slightly easier choice?

Debating between that and wood. Hmmm.
If I had to choose between tile (any kind) and wood, I would go with wood. Tile, no matter how neutral it may seem, will eventually become dated (remember all that white tile from the 80's?). And when it does, and you want to change it, it is a royal pain in the rear end and expensive to do. I also think tile in every room is just very cold and not inviting. Wood never goes out of style. And it can be refinished.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,225,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
If I had to choose between tile (any kind) and wood, I would go with wood. Tile, no matter how neutral it may seem, will eventually become dated (remember all that white tile from the 80's?). And when it does, and you want to change it, it is a royal pain in the rear end and expensive to do. I also think tile in every room is just very cold and not inviting. Wood never goes out of style. And it can be refinished.
Things like flooring aesthetics are completely subjective, but I agree. Any home we looked at that had a lot of tile we crossed off the list unless it made up for elsewhere -- none did. We do not like living on tile. It's hard on the back, cold and not child-friendly. To us, it doesn't matter what it is, travertine, marble, ceramic, whatever. Tile is $2-$3 a sq ft to remove and it's a giant mess. My preference is for wood throughout or even carpet on the first floor to easily rip out (free or very little cost, depending on who you hire for your floors.) The only place I would ever consider tile is in an entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin