Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM

16 posts, read 28,093 times

Advertisements

I first went in the mid-90's and it remains one of my favorite Austin dining memories. Visiting the city soon and curious to know if you can still get fantastic food, service and view (heard there was a fire a while back). I'm also aware Austin is not exactly what it once was, but that's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natori View Post
I first went in the mid-90's and it remains one of my favorite Austin dining memories. Visiting the city soon and curious to know if you can still get fantastic food, service and view (heard there was a fire a while back). I'm also aware Austin is not exactly what it once was, but that's okay.
I don't recall a time when Oasis was ever known for fantastic food, but the sunsets and view are still great. I say go there for drinks and appetizers and go somewhere else to eat. They rebuilt the restaurant after the fire, plus they added other shops and restaurants around it.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Well, you will be impressed with the transformation of the complex/compound/food mall. You'll also hear folks who swear the food is lousy and the only reason to go is the view(of a rather empty lake and 'sometimes islands' that look like they will be 'forever'). While I wouldn't drive out there JUST for the food, our dining experiences have been darned good. A busy night is like walking into a fire drill; but they manage to pull it off.

Depending on the date of your visit, sunset would be a bit early for dinner(6:15-6:25 right now), so keep that in mind. Of course, the later sunsets are usually accompanied by hotter temperatures. For another month, the temps will drop drastically after sunset. Closer to spring...anything goes!

Might take a little research to determine which other restaurants are open in the complex:
Home

Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
I agree with 10scoachrick, you should go just to be shocked by the transformation. When you pull into the 4 story parking garage it should give you some idea

It's still a great sunset destination. And the food is typical Austin Tex Mex: better than what you can find in a lot of the country, but won't impress the local foodies. Also, there are more restaurants there if you want to try something different.

The low level of the lake, due to the multiyear drought, is going to make it look much less spectacular than when you last saw it in the 90s. Hopefully it won't be like that permanently. But it's still a good view.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Sure, and it's built up around it now. You will notice the lake is low because of the drought.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM

198 posts, read 397,679 times
I went for the first time last summer- was not impressed at all. Food was bad and overpriced. We sat on a big deck in which they crowded as many people and tables on there as they could. View was decent but the lake isn't impressive right now. I'm glad I went to see what it was all about but I'll never go back.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
The last couple times that we went out there, we ate at Uncle Billy's and it was great. However, it closed late last year, so I'm curious to see what will happen to that huge restaurant space. I've read about rumors of a House of Blues being considered there.

It's definitely still a great place to take visitors. I think locals can only handle going out there 3 or 4 times a year because it's definitely one of the most crowded restaurant scenes in all of Austin. Since you haven't been in so long, definitely go to check it out. Hula Hut is always a nice alternative option with better food if you don't want to drive out to the Oasis, but Hula Hut can attract some crazy crowds as well. I also believe that the food at Oasis is fine as it improved greatly when they re-vamped their menu a couple years ago. People still like to bag on their food because it's a bit overpriced for locals. We still almost always take any out of town guests out there at least once, but it's rare that we go out there if we don't have guests in town.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
The Oasis is still a destination. But I would not consider it a dinner destination. I don't think it ever has been. The food today is better than it was 20 years ago. But I think it is improved to "average." If the OP liked the food before then he/she should like it again.

Soleil, next door, has a much more interesting and refined menu. The kitchen is a bit inconsistent.

I still think the Oasis is a good place to take people, even with the lake low. The sunset is still the same. I think I would have drinks on the patio with a plate of nachos rather than a full meal.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Much prefer the food here and the view is also fantastic...

Iguana Grill Mexican Restaurant - Austin, TX - Lake Travis - Mexican Food with a View and Live Music

But I know, I know...it's the Oasis.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Much prefer the food here and the view is also fantastic...

Iguana Grill Mexican Restaurant - Austin, TX - Lake Travis - Mexican Food with a View and Live Music

But I know, I know...it's the Oasis.
I was going to mention the Iguana; but DW was really not impressed with the service when we had folks in for a visit. A bit TOO casual and laid back...as in...where IS our food? Still a great location for a sunset, as is the Oasis complex, even with the lake level so low. We just need to keep a few clouds in the sky to make things interesting. The purple shades in last night's sunset were really pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin