Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I just got back from dropping a friend off at UT for the Megabus, using my car. It took 40 minutes to go from Cherryood to 21st/Whitis and back.
Exactly how did you go that it took you that long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM

211 posts, read 431,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
We live in Texas. If you want a congestion tax, there is Mayor Bloomberg's NYC (where the Mayor and other 'liberal-riche' Manhattanites have wanted it for years). However, [understandably] there is strong resistance from middle-class New Yorkers from the outer boroughs. By the way, when are you moving out of Texas?
Funny I'm one of those middle class outer borough people that you are talking about and I've had enough of the BS in NY and agree with what you say about the strong resistance. My moving truck is coming tomorrow morning and by this weekend I will be officially will be an Austinite! Glad I won't be around for the new Tappan Zee Bridge and the $12-13 dollar toll that will come with it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Yeah good question. Why don't we get taxed more? They do need to add another one. Excellent idea.
What's the incentive for a two wheeler to sit in traffic when they take up a fraction of the space? They help the problem.

Why do you think you have the right to pollute the air we breath? (assuming you drive an internal combustion engine, which most everyone does)

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Why do you think you have the right to insist that everyone else be taxed for not living the way that you prefer to live?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Why do you think you have the right to insist that everyone else be taxed for not living the way that you prefer to live?
Because the way they live causes problems for everyone. A portion of gas and diesel prices should go to fund community health care, as breathing in the pollution causes all sorts of health problems and degrades quality of life.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Because the way they live causes problems for everyone. A portion of gas and diesel prices should go to fund community health care, as breathing in the pollution causes all sorts of health problems and degrades quality of life.
Allegedly.

And if "everyone" does something (as you stated) - how does the majority owe anything? The law of large numbers doesn't support your hypothesis.

Now, don't get me wrong. I agree with you on the larger scale - people need to get off their a$$ and realize that anything under 5 miles doesn't need an engine, but you cannot legislate behavior.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Allegedly.

And if "everyone" does something (as you stated) - how does the majority owe anything? The law of large numbers doesn't support your hypothesis.

Now, don't get me wrong. I agree with you on the larger scale - people need to get off their a$$ and realize that anything under 5 miles doesn't need an engine, but you cannot legislate behavior.
Sure you can e.g. see the plastic bag ban. You can also incentivize behavior - and government does that all the time.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Cities in Europe put a tax/toll on auto drivers in congested areas to address the traffic and air pollution issue. Why don't American cities do this?

I just got back from dropping a friend off at UT for the Megabus, using my car. It took 40 minutes to go from Cherryood to 21st/Whitis and back. I would estimate my car was idling for 25 minutes. Most of the trip I was inhaling exhaust because I had my windows down.

How people can go day in and day out using a personal automobile in traffic, and not feel inclined to choose a better mode, is beyond me.

I was going to use my tandem electric bike to drop my friend off, but he preferred the car.
Tell me how you envision such a tax working here.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Exactly how did you go that it took you that long?
Sometimes traffic can be nightmarishly slow down 26th Street.

I have to say though, as much as I'm in favor of discouraging development in the exurbs, congestion through the densest parts of the city should be expected.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 AM

240 posts, read 537,431 times
Quote:
Cities in Europe put a tax/toll on auto drivers in congested areas to address the traffic and air pollution issue. Why don't American cities do this?

I just got back from dropping a friend off at UT for the Megabus, using my car. It took 40 minutes to go from Cherryood to 21st/Whitis and back. I would estimate my car was idling for 25 minutes. Most of the trip I was inhaling exhaust because I had my windows down.

How people can go day in and day out using a personal automobile in traffic, and not feel inclined to choose a better mode, is beyond me.

I was going to use my tandem electric bike to drop my friend off, but he preferred the car.
Interestingly, on that particular day, you and your friend were a part of the problem. Your friend could have taken a different mode of transportation, but he wanted the convenience of a personal automobile.

The simple answer is mass transit. People value time more so than they value money. Our cities need reliable and convenient light-rail or subways. Something that will save commuters time, money, and pollution. I'm not going to take a city bus if it takes me twice as much time to get to where I am heading, regardless of how much money or pollution I save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin