Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post
How about let's charge bicycles registration fees and make them don a license plate for use of the road I am paying for.
I am fine with requiring that bicycles be registered. Just make sure the fee is only a small percent of what is paid to register then much heavier larger vehicles. Perhaps the fee should be based on the weight of the registered vehicle.
Passing a rules of the road test is reasonable to require before riding the bicycle on certain roads.
Kids riding in their neighborhood, not so much.
However, making bicycle rules and safety part of the grade school curriculum is a really good idea. It may already be covered there.

I often wonder if people realize that much of the cost for building roads comes from other funds, besides taxes paid on fuel and registration fees.
The person riding that bicycle may have paid more toward that road then you have. I don't know, and I am pretty sure that you don't know either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 AM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
There's something to be said for public goods and public bads... air pollution being an example of a public bad. BUT in our current culture, most individuals are contributing to air pollution pretty darn equally in the grand scheme of things, so adding on random taxes and fees isn't going to change much.

I should also point out that the carless can save on their monthly utility bill by opting out of the transportation user fee, so in a sense, there's already a monthly car ownership tax within city limits.
I haven't figured out how to do this.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:

How about let's charge bicycles registration fees and make them don a license plate for use of the road I am paying for.
You mean the road _THEY_ are paying for. Local roads are paid for from bond money/property taxes, not gas taxes. If they live in Austin, bicyclists are either paying property taxes directly or via rent.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's been suggested, as has been making requiring passing a test on the rules of road in order to get a license just like everyone else who uses the roadways has to, and the amount of squealing that occurs is just hilarious. All SORTS of excuses for why they shouldn't have to do that.
I'm fine with this, as long as the pedestrians who are walking on sidewalks, through crosswalks, and along the side of the roads also need to pass a test and display a license to do so.

Currently, regulations are divided between those that are driving a multi-ton lethal weapon, and those that are not. If you want to extend those regulations, they need to be extended to everyone.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM

522 posts, read 657,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Local roads are paid for from bond money/property taxes, not gas taxes.
Yep. The actual proportion of road construction/maintenance paid for, on average nationwide, by gas taxes and other "user fees" is only about 50%. Looking at state funding, it's even worse - more like 30% or so.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
I would have no problem with that. When I was a child, we had to register our bikes and get a little license plate to hang on the back of the seat. All bikes had them. This was in Wisconsin. I don't know if they still do it, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me, as long as the registration fee is not out of proportion. (It should be much less than registering a car.)

Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's been suggested, as has been making requiring passing a test on the rules of road in order to get a license just like everyone else who uses the roadways has to, and the amount of squealing that occurs is just hilarious. All SORTS of excuses for why they shouldn't have to do that.

I already pay the same money as you do in car taxes, fees, plates, insurance. I just don't drive more than about 500 miles a year. Why should I be double taxed if I use my bike 95% of the time?

Registration and license plate fees mainly go towards just keeping that system going, not for maintaining the roads. State and local property and sales taxes are where road money comes from.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I am fine with requiring that bicycles be registered. Just make sure the fee is only a small percent of what is paid to register then much heavier larger vehicles. Perhaps the fee should be based on the weight of the registered vehicle.
Passing a rules of the road test is reasonable to require before riding the bicycle on certain roads.
Kids riding in their neighborhood, not so much.
However, making bicycle rules and safety part of the grade school curriculum is a really good idea. It may already be covered there.

I often wonder if people realize that much of the cost for building roads comes from other funds, besides taxes paid on fuel and registration fees.
The person riding that bicycle may have paid more toward that road then you have. I don't know, and I am pretty sure that you don't know either.

I would support this!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Because the United States wasn't founded on the elitist concept of telling other people how to live their lives. Nor is it an air pollution issue, and you do not have the ability to
point your nose up and declare "air pollution".

Well then put your windows up. Just like you do when it rains!

What do you suggest I do when I'm on my bike? Suck down your fumes? I actually have a Respro mask to wear if I have to ride a busy road. What about people who are waiting at bus stops? Pedestrians on sidewalks?

What a catch 22 it is that the ones who can avoid the pollution the most are the ones creating it! I hope you sleep well at night.

You say that air pollution isn't a problem? Really??
Austin Falling Short on Clean Air: New rules could pressure Austin to clean up its act - News - The Austin Chronicle

Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
What do you suggest I do when I'm on my bike? Suck down your fumes?

If you're using your bike on roads with IC vehicles, yes, that's part of the deal. What do you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin