Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 6,052 times

Advertisements

My son just turned 4 at the end of January but he cannot say even the first 3 letters of the alphabet, count to 3 without making a mistake (he says 1, 3, 3, 4..or 1,3,4), does not know his shapes and struggles with colors (although, I have caught him saying the correct color when he thought no one was listening). He also has problems with pronunciation. He knows plenty of words, he just can't say them correctly. He is very smart in many many ways. He can put puzzles together like they're nothing and he has an amazing imagination! His motor skills are all on track as well (except for walking which he didn't do until he was 16 months old) but he has absolutely no interest in learning anything academic. I understand that he is still little and that all kids are different but I am beginning to get worried. I have two other children that are 11 and 12. My daughter was a lot faster than her older brother with things, but at this point they were both able to speak clearly, say their abc's (and point out almost all of the letters, write them and spell their names) and count to well past 10. But my youngest is another story..I'm not sure if my expectations are too high because my older two were a little ahead, or if there is something wrong. I am thinking it's time to make a doctor's appointment, but, I don't want to seem as if I'm overreacting either. I've had friends that have autistic children tell me that I need to get him tested but I don't think that he has any signs of autism or aspergers other than being delayed with the things that I've mentioned. Anyone have any advice or experience with this? He is the sweetest little boy and so imaginative and curious. He will be starting pre-school next school year and I'm afraid he is going to have a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Call the school district that you're in and see about an appointment with a speech therapist. A friend of mine did that for her then 3 year old in Lake Travis ISD. The districts like to get ahead with kids like this. They could either tell you there's an issue or not to worry about things. If he's not been in any type of pre-school already, that might be part of it. Kids learn "better" (subjective) around other kids from example.

Taking him to your pediatrician won't do any good as she'll just say to schedule with someone else. Pediatricians aren't specialized enough to know issues, just the basic learning milestones. I don't think you're over-reacting because my 2 year old can sing his ABCs and count and knows his colors or shapes. A 4 year old should know those things. Definitely seek help and start with the school district.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
It sounds like dyslexia! I have a LOT of experience with this and you are welcome to send me a private message.

Otherwise, the first step would be to read Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz, MD It is the best book out there about the subject and will give you a lot of information to better evaluate your son yourself:

The next step would to get an evaluation, I recommend Scottish Rite Learning Center, they have excellent evaluators and the lowest cost in town.

Again, PM me and I can give you more info.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 6,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It sounds like dyslexia! I have a LOT of experience with this and you are welcome to send me a private message.

Otherwise, the first step would be to read Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz, MD It is the best book out there about the subject and will give you a lot of information to better evaluate your son yourself:

The next step would to get an evaluation, I recommend Scottish Rite Learning Center, they have excellent evaluators and the lowest cost in town.

Again, PM me and I can give you more info.
I never thought about dyslexia. I guess I always thought that was something to do with reading and wouldn't show up this early. I don't really know much about it, obviously. I just looked it up and read the early signs for a child his age and he has just about every single one of them! I of course, would hate for that to be the case but it would be nice to know what the problem is so we can start working on learning techniques to give him a better foundation for learning in school later on..Thank you!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
First of all, no one could or should suggest a diagnosis over the Internet. Second, his pediatrician should be in the loop on this. He or she will be able to give you advice on whom to see for an eval, and should be a part of the team (which includes the family) if an assessment reveals that your son needs intervention (of which you'd be a part). Do not think that making an appointment is overreacting. Early intervention is important if there is a problem.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
I agree that you should work with your pediatrician and the school district, but I also know a dyslexia educator who thinks very highly of Scottish Rite. Make some phone calls and go from there. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
First of all, no one could or should suggest a diagnosis over the Internet. Second, his pediatrician should be in the loop on this. He or she will be able to give you advice on whom to see for an eval, and should be a part of the team (which includes the family) if an assessment reveals that your son needs intervention (of which you'd be a part). Do not think that making an appointment is overreacting. Early intervention is important if there is a problem.
I agree with every point here.

OP, I assume he is in pre-school? If so, what do his teachers have to say about his development?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
The OP's location is Florida. While the responses have not been location-specific, I would think seeking help in the OP's area would be important.

Good luck. Hopefully, you are getting an early start on finding a source of help.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The OP's location is Florida. While the responses have not been location-specific, I would think seeking help in the OP's area would be important.

Good luck. Hopefully, you are getting an early start on finding a source of help.
I didn't see that! Overcoming Dyslexia will help anyone, anywhere but evaluational centers and school districts will be very local. There is a regional element to dsylexia remediation too.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Dyslexia is rarely officially diagnosed at that age. Scottish Rite does not 'diagnose' until the 2nd half of 1st grade, although they do an evaluation at 5 years old to see if they have indicators. They are an excellent program, though. Part of the problem is that there are a variety of other developmental issues that are hard to separate at that young of an age. In particular ADD can be hard to distinguish from dyslexia at that young of an age. There can also be quite a bit of overlap in symptoms.

BUT, start with your pediatrician, they should be involved and can give you a lot of feedback on different professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin