Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,625 times

Advertisements

Why do the proponents of the bag ban hate freedom?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghAustin View Post
Did a small unscientific study on the main reason why some want the"bag ban". Drove about 18 miles on parts of Parmer Lane, Brushy Creek and Cypress Creek yesterday saw, wait for it, three HEB type plastic bags by the side of the road and in trees. Most trash was fast food and construction type trash. Maybe people are more responsible in Williamson Country.
The earth is safe to raise children up here.
The world is much bigger than central Texas and can you honestly say the earth your children will inherit will be in better shape than when you came into this world? At least the paper bags from fast food places will decompose shortly.

Huge Garbage Patch Found in Atlantic Too

"Billions of bits of plastic are accumulating in a massive garbage patch in the Atlantic Ocean—a lesser known cousin to the Texas-size trash vortex in the Pacific, scientists say."

"In some places the students found more than 200,000 bits of trash per square kilometer (520,000 bits per square mile). The vast majority of these fragments come from consumer products that were blown out of open landfills or were tossed out by litterbugs."

Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Wow, what area do you live in? A lot of irresponsible people in your area.
I suspect it is a pretty clean area, actually, in SW Austin. Walking reveals so much more than a drive-by, and once the bags get caught in the underbrush, they pretty much stay there forever or until a flood (almost impossible in the location I am talking about, though). Also, the bags can blow for miles, and I think the Longhorn pipeline allows for a bit of a trash bag super-highway until the bags become tangled at on of the road crossings.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 AM

181 posts, read 429,653 times
Looks like we better enforce the laws already on the books for landfills and litterbugs. I have seen the same trash bergs in the ocean and they contain many items, all matter of plastic and other materials. Most products we use would have to be outlawed. Laws have not stopped illegal dumping and will not be unless they are enforced.
I am sure most people on this form obey common law and moral law. I have never just tossed a plastic bag out and littered the landscape and I am sure most people don't. So who are we left with, people who don't obey the laws already on the books for littering. Another law will not stop their bad behavior.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Environmental Pollution: The Harmful Effects of Plastic Bags

How about some of us really reading about the effects of plastic. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see what is happening to our planet. It isn't a right or left issue, it isn't a "we have a right" issue either. The people clammoring for their "rights" on this board sound more and more like bullies.

This whole "I have my rights" thing is getting to the point where you all sound like this: "I have "rights" and to hell with everyone and everything else on this planet." You're all starting to sound like mini-gods.

To the extreme that attitude spills over into, "we have a right to make nuclear bombs and use them."
I say no you don't. It's my opinion people or huge corporations do not have a right to go around killing things because they think they have a "right" to do so.

We went out yesterday and picked up trash around the park. You'd think the plastic bag has become our national flag. It really is disgusting how we waste. Yes, I'm just as guilty. And, if I become aware of something that is harmful it is my RIGHT to do the right thing and either change my behavior or accept the consequences of what I'm doing.

I've never been crazy about plastics/Styrofoam. I also wouldn't like it if they banned the plastic bags in the grocery store because we reuse them. But since this discussion I have taken a look at how many other things I can use in place of them. Many products I purchase come wrapped in plastic. There really isn't a lack of plastic once I took a look. Since this whole issue came up I have tried to stop thinking about just myself and look at the bigger picture. Yes, I certainly do have "rights" and SO DOES EVERYTHING ELSE on this planet. "The horrors"...

To the "rights" people on this board: There are hundreds of places you can purchase plastic bags. And, as someone else said, you just don't have the "right" to get them for free any longer at certain places in Austin.

Just because the Kool-aid is made doesn't mean we all have to drink it. But, you certainly have a "right" to do so.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Another law will not stop their bad behavior.
It will because they won't be getting them for free any longer.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Wow, what area do you live in? A lot of irresponsible people in your area.
If I find myself in the area(Hmmm...got a coupon for Texas Rib Kings ), I might drop by WoodCraft a couple of blocks down the 183 access road and turn right to enter the residential area south of there. I remember one cyclone fence completely covered in plastic bags(presumably, the wind blows directly through that parking area). Yep, plenty of irresponsible folks out there, that's for sure. I'll see if I can snag(!) a picture.
Maybe Putnam Drive toward Burnet MS...https://plus.google.com/117177145936...1/photos?hl=en

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 03-13-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
There is no ban. It's just that you now have to pay for the bags.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,006 times
"Second, by advocating this, you are saying that the individual cannot be trusted to make "correct" choices. That government must, in this case, remove the option. That there are some ideas that are so good, that they must be made mandatory. That is a statist value system, and if you think that way, you are a liberal - whether you self identify as such or not"

There are times when desperation leads to liberal ideas. Also, this is a city government decision, not state nor country mandated, so take it easy.

Austinrebel, do you regularly pick up trash? Pay other people's healthcare bills? Perform large and small scale projects to save America? Not sure what the point of your post is. Yes, you're right, but no, there are not enough hard-working good Samaritans in the world to end all problems.

People it's plastic bags. "Der tryner take er guns!"

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
If I find myself in the area(Hmmm...got a coupon for Texas Rib Kings ), I might drop by WoodCraft a couple of blocks down the 183 access road and turn right to enter the residential area south of there. I remember one cyclone fence completely covered in plastic bags(presumably, the wind blows directly through that parking area). Yep, plenty of irresponsible folks out there, that's for sure. I'll see if I can snag(!) a picture.
Maybe Putnam Drive toward Burnet MS...https://plus.google.com/117177145936...1/photos?hl=en
OK, I found it but can't come up with the link...just google Putnam Drive, Austin and let the little google-man take you behind the Ellis and Salazar building. Yep, those are plastic bags adorning the fence...LOTS of them...zoom in and pan the fence area...nice, very nice.

I can't imagine what you 'freedom fighters' would have done during the switch to unleaded gasoline about 4 decades ago ...talk about an assault on liberty . Next thing you know, we won't be able to build asbestos into our homes .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin