Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from North Carolina to Texas for my husband's work in Killeen this summer. After looking at the data and real-estate available, apartments available and so on, i'm still confused as to where a good area to live would be. Renting may be an option initially-but which area has rentals that would also be close to grocery and other stores and preferably has a park or sidewalks for our daily runs?

If we end up deciding to buy a house, we would like to live in an area that is more "artsy" if this exists here, preferably within walking distance to a grocery store (and maybe public transit/Amtrak?). Sidewalks are a must in this case.

I'm already feeling like we'll stick out like a sore thumb here and I haven't seen anything that matches these descriptions after researching. Are we doomed to be unhappy living in this area? Thanks for any help with this!

(Also-Are there any organic grocery stores near here?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 15,721 times
Dorel and stone creek apartments on Trimmier. Those are the better apts that I know. Walkable to nearby HEB and restaurants and Walmart. I recommend Harker Heights area. No apartments here. All residential. Not all streets have side walks. If you live behind the Sams Club (Memory ln, modoc etc), you can walk to Walmart and Samsclub. Lot of houses 3-4 bedrooms for rent for 1100 or so in this area.
Only organic store that I know that opened recently is So Natural Organic Restaurant & Market on Edwards Dr.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 35,174 times
Hi there. We're also military coming to the area this summer and we did a housing trip in February. Unless you just love pawn shops and used car dealers, I'd forego Killeen altogether. Have you considered Georgetown?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
You might want to consider Georgetown, there are apartments with relatively easy access to the Good Water Trail or San Gabriel Park, there's organic produce in the two main grocery stores and Monument Market, as well as the two farmer's markets each week. If you're looking for artsy, Salado is another possibility, though I don't believe they have an organic market (but I could be wrong). (My reaction to first seeing Salado was "the Taos of Texas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin