Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,814 times

Advertisements

Texas Bobber?-img_0991-5-.jpg

We found this while fishing this morning. This was found in a small reservoir, not really a lake but it's stocked. (Hutto) If it is a bobber how could there possibly be that big of a fish in a small reservoir?? And are they using the nails to anchor it to the shore? Doesn't seem like it would hold...well, obviously it didn't because it was floating up to the dock.

Sorry about the size of the picture...I still can't figure how to do it right. If I click on it though it makes it bigger. Does that work for everyone?

It's incredible how much junk people are already leaving along the shore when there are trash cans all over the place. Yeah, live and let live but clean up after yourself! It isn't a dumping ground! Ok, it just ticks me off I suppose.

Are we suppose to leave this kind of junk just laying around in the water?

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-26-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Could be it was a home made trot line. The nails used as weights possibly.

With certain restrictions a Trot Line may be used for fishing in Texas in some places. Legal Freshwater and Saltwater Devices and Restrictions for Fish

Old 05-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Well, according to the rules it's not allowed on community lakes or reservoirs. Hutto Lake is a reservoir. There appears to be two floats in the middle of the reservoir but I don't know how they would be weighted down. I'm wondering if they're something else.

I see the city of Hutto out there taking care of the mowing and such. Is the reservoir under their jurisdiction as well? Yes, I'll call the city on Tuesday and ask.

Question: who fishes like that with all those hooks? Guess I'm old school. We fished with a pole. (and still do)

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-26-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
It is a trotline. Illegal, but effective in catching a number of fish while the "fisherman" does something else with his time. Very popular for subsistance living, but not so much with sport fishermen or game wardens.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
It is a trotline. Illegal, but effective in catching a number of fish while the "fisherman" does something else with his time. Very popular for subsistance living, but not so much with sport fishermen or game wardens.

Hmmm, so people are using them because they're in poverty and they need to eat?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Not really. My grandpa and great grandpa used them on Lake Corpus Christi. All they do is catch a larger number of fish at one time, and just like dropping a fishing line, it's all chance. It seems odd to do it on such a small lake as Hutto, but I have seen them on Buchanan. People will keep those fish and freeze them and eat them through the winter or to feed large groups.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Well, according to the rules it's not allowed on community lakes or reservoirs. Hutto Lake is a reservoir. There appears to be two floats in the middle of the reservoir but I don't know how they would be weighted down. I'm wondering if they're something else.

I see the city of Hutto out there taking care of the mowing and such. Is the reservoir under their jurisdiction as well? Yes, I'll call the city on Tuesday and ask.

Question: who fishes like that with all those hooks? Guess I'm old school. We fished with a pole. (and still do)
I agree that it is a very unsportsmanlike way to fish.

It sounds like it is illegal in Hutto Lake, but you are mistaken that it is illegal in all reservoirs. What the page I linked to above says is it is illegal in "Reservoirs or sections of rivers lying totally within the boundaries of a state park"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
It is NOT true that it is illegal. It is perfectly legal in many locations. Read the link I provided above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin