Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 16,825 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at a few neighborhoods to purchase a home in the Lakeway/Bee Cave area....West Cypress Hills caught my attention.

Any info/reviews on this subdivision (or alternatives) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txranger34 View Post
I've been looking at a few neighborhoods to purchase a home in the Lakeway/Bee Cave area....West Cypress Hills caught my attention.

Any info/reviews on this subdivision (or alternatives) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Maybe more specific questions would get you more responses. What do you want to know? I don't live there, but live in Spicewood (since 1998).

It is a fast growing area. A bit far out of town for some, but not for all. New elementary school in 2014.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 PM

71 posts, read 167,835 times
does it have a gym/threadmills in the clubhouse?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Main differences are that it's 9 miles West of the 71/620 intersection. That's 4 miles further West than Sweetwater and 6 miles further West than Falconhead West. Are you needing to drive anywhere every day? If you work from home, the area should be fine. If you need to commute, you need to do the drive a few times to make sure you're good.

Other than that, taxes are a biotch out there. For my same house in FHW, you will pay $5000 more in taxes a year in WCH because of the tax rate. I rather put that money towards my house payments than tax payments. (Please note: This is comparing 3.01% vs 2.1% for tax rate in case taxes change in the future. I did not calculate homestead exemptions into my $5k number)

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info...FHW is nice but I don't want to purchase anything over 300k. Looking for a 3-4 bed in the 2k sq. feet range.

I'm new to homes using propane...how does that work, cost, etc?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info...FHW is nice but I don't want to purchase anything over 300k. Looking for a 3-4 bed in the 2k sq. feet range.

I'm new to homes using propane...how does that work, cost, etc?
WCH for under $300k isn't going to get you one of the brand new homes. I believe Milestone has one floorplan currently, that can get you in with lot premium and your design selections for right about $300k. However, your better bet is to get a pre-owned home for that price in one of the front sections.

Just like neighborhoods have gas lines running to their homes, some neighborhoods have propane lines. This also means you don't need to retro fit a grill with those propane tanks because it's already set to burn with propane. It's a community tank, and the HOA, for the most part, manages the contract and the come read your meter just like a gas company...

Big note, propane is not regulated by the state, whereas gas is.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info. How much is propane service running per month?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. How much is propane service running per month?
There are different contracts in each neighborhood, and I'm not privy to the WCH contract as I live in FHW. Just like electric bills, they will differ on size of home, age of home, how many people live in the home, 1 vs 2 story, and if there are kids in the home. Older homes will see larger bills because they aren't as energy efficient as newer homes. Also, just like electric bills, though opposite seasons, they'll be higher in the winter and lower in the summer.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
WCH for under $300k isn't going to get you one of the brand new homes. I believe Milestone has one floorplan currently, that can get you in with lot premium and your design selections for right about $300k. However, your better bet is to get a pre-owned home for that price in one of the front sections.

Just like neighborhoods have gas lines running to their homes, some neighborhoods have propane lines. This also means you don't need to retro fit a grill with those propane tanks because it's already set to burn with propane. It's a community tank, and the HOA, for the most part, manages the contract and the come read your meter just like a gas company...

Big note, propane is not regulated by the state, whereas gas is.
It's not a "community tank".
The scheme is a perpetual residual income scheme for the developer.
The "central propane" is marketed as providing the economics of bulk purchases - but that is an equivocal statement and laughable. Any such "economics" will not be benefiting the homeowner. You should also be wary of the "bulk rate" schemes for services you don't want, didn't ask for, and can be shoved down your throat at any point in the future. These "bulk rate" contracts are written for the benefit of whoever controls the HOA board - which in your case would be the declarant. Your house is at risk from these. See §§3.11 and 3.12 of the "Master Declaration"
http://www.westcypresshills.com/pdfs...eclaration.PDF

Think about it - you have an HOA that is threatening people with fines and foreclosure while there is a 30,000 above ground propane tank in the subdivision? The HOA will be used to force you to buy gas from the propane vendor. Although a new state law was passed to "regulate" these central gas propane vendors, you can look at the legislation and realize that it mostly protects the vendors' ability to raise rates on you.

The way it typically works is that there will be restrictive covenants requiring you to implement gas appliances. In some cases the restrictive covenants will require you to enter into a contract with the central gas provider. Of course this is not binding on the central gas provider, only you. All the terms of any such contract will be dictated by the vendor and you have no choice but to accept whatever terms are there. The restrictive covenants will also probably prohibit above ground or below ground or both types of propane tanks to prevent you from "opting out" of the central gas system. If the subdivision is under declarant control and the declarant runs the HOA (and the architectural committee), you can bet that the architectural committee will deny an application for propane tank even if say below ground tanks aren't prohibited.

I don't know what section the property you seek to purchase is located within but see, e.g., §§ 2.12 and 3.25 of the restrictive covenants specific to Phase 1, Section 1. See what chance you have of getting approval for a buried propane tank when the developer and central gas vendor have entered into a separate financial arrangement for their benefit. The interesting this is that these provisions do not prohibit other tanks nor do they require you to purchase from the central gas vendor. Moreover, as long as you install gas appliances you shouldn't run afoul of 3.25. However, the declarant-controlled "architectural committee" will likely be operated to prevent you from getting approval for a buried or above-ground tank such that you will have no choice but to purchase from the central gas vendor. For the benefit of all the homeowners of course.

Want to dispute it? Look at the "mandatory arbitration" provisions set forth at §11.1 of the restrictive covenants. Note that you have to provide notice to the HOA corporation and seek arbitration while the HOA and developer can typically avoid being subjected to arbitration. This is done in part to allow the HOA and developer to take advantage of a fee-shifting statute while denying you the opportunity to do the same when the HOA provokes a dispute with you. See, §§11.01-11.03 of the "Master Declaration". The other reason for this is that arbitration will be "private" (i.e., the disputes aren't public) and prospective purchasers can't tell how unpleasant the HOA from the litigation history. Helps with sales while the declarant is in charge.

In addition to the problem you will experience directly from the above schemes, you may have more trouble selling your home in the future as educated buyers are learning to steer away from these places.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 09-06-2013 at 09:19 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 AM

326 posts, read 684,906 times
There is going to be a brand new LTISD elementary school inside the subdivision. Guess what it's called? West Cypress Hills Elementary!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin