Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times

Advertisements

As for BBQ, first, what constitutes good BBQ differs from one part of the country to the other. Also, here, as well, there is great BBQ better sometimes than the "got my name in X magazine out of NYC" BBQ places that are out there) in places along the side of the road all around here. Drive around the country roads (which means you have to get out of the city, of course, WAY out) and find a place that you're scared to go in, and try them. Do that a few times, and you'll find some favorites. Also, drive down to Luling to City Market.

As for Yelp as a resource, it CAN be useful, but you have to read the reviews, and sometimes you have to read other reviews by the same reviewer (you can click through) to get a feel for if they like the same kind of food you do. Chowhound has an Austin board that can be useful; more foodies hang out there.

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that something you really miss from home isn't available in a new place, and find yourself a new favorite food that your new location is famous for. After all, isn't the entire point of moving to a new place that it is a NEW place, not the same old place you came from, with new delights? Or get someone from where you came from to do what I used to do occasionally for my son - I used to once in a while have some BBQ shipped to him when he lived in NYC (before Hill Country BBQ opened up up there). Now, he's back in Texas, but he makes his own and his brisket is right up there with the best of them. My daughter is in Canada and is following in his footsteps, learning to smoke her own brisket. There's ways around this problem - learn how to make the kind of pizza you miss and you just might get a whole new circle of friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,283,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
... the "got my name in X magazine out of NYC" BBQ places that are out there) in places along the side of the road all around here.

Also, drive down to Luling to City Market.
But do pay attention to the magazine out of Austin that tried 658 places in the state to pick the best fifty - including #1 right here in Austin. After you get through that list, then try some of those side of the road places, like Zimmerhanzel's in Smithville.

Also - if one were to take a BBQ road trip, I'd go to Taylor and Lexington before Luling. Been to all three - recently. No contest.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:10 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,764,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4fun View Post
Since I have been in Austin I haven't heard people stop talking about all the great restaurants. However, the only places that have made my eyebrows raise and stomachs smile are some of the food trucks.

However everything on yelp seems to be mediocre. If it's good (not necessarily great) than there are ridiculous prices and/or 2-3 hour waits. Is this the land of the soup nazi? I am sorry but 2 - 3 hour waits for decent food isn't my thing.
I have never and will never wait 2 - 3 hours to eat. 30 minutes is my limit.

So it depends on how you define "good food". Have you tried Wink? Verde's? Santa Catarina?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo43 View Post
As far as BBQ goes I am from Kansas City (which has great BBQ) and ate at SaltLick last week while visiting. Great BBQ and as good as anywhere (or better). Out in the boonies though. Live in Florida now and BBQ stinks here. Just saying....Was staying in a hotel next to Lakeline mall and picked up a Pizza one night also. Pizza was outstanding, but can't remember the name of the damn place! Just look deeper. I have had Pizza in NY, Italy, Chicago, etc and this Pizza was up there with them.
I lived a while in KC too. KC and Texas BBQ are really the same style. And the best in the world!!!!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
But do pay attention to the magazine out of Austin that tried 658 places in the state to pick the best fifty - including #1 right here in Austin. After you get through that list, then try some of those side of the road places, like Zimmerhanzel's in Smithville.

Also - if one were to take a BBQ road trip, I'd go to Taylor and Lexington before Luling. Been to all three - recently. No contest.
I also like the "side of the road" places. You should try the one at the corner of Bee Cave Rd and North River Hills Rd.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,269,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I'm not looking for fancy pizza - just something that tastes like I remember pizza tasting growing up on the East Coast.
Doesn't Moonlady's statement above pretty much sum up the issue with anything regarding "best/great" food? Many times, what folks consider "great" is simply a reflection of their expectations, not any broader "truth" or absolutes.

The best BBQ (pork ribs) I've had was a small dive in north east San Jose, CA. Go figure. But then again, I grew up equating BBQ with pork spare ribs, so the relative inattention paid to pork ribs here in Austin probably skews my views.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:

So have I (well, not Snow's, though we have talked to them about how to get some BBQ without having to leave the house at 5 in the morning and will be doing that soon). Taylor has a couple of good places, as do quite a few other towns in the area, come to that. There's BBQ by a guy who interned at Kreuz's five minutes from my house, and a little side of the road place 7 minutes the other direction (towards Lexington and Taylor from here, as it happens) that's hard to pass if it's a Saturday or Sunday morning (they're only open on weekends and they make great brisket). But I will drive all the way to Luling from 15 miles north of Georgetown for their brisket.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM

847 posts, read 767,649 times
Honestly if you want good "Unique" BBQ you kind of have to go outside austin to LockHart, Llano, ..

As for other types of food people keep saying Austin has great food because they compare it to San Antonio, Waco, El paso.

but compared to Dallas or Houston in Texas Austin generally is still not as good on diversity and density of different food.

if you compare Austin to LA or San Francisco or Chicago in terms of Ethnic food Austin is generally not at all in the same league.

What Austin does have a lot of is Fast Casual and a lot of place that have Americanized some Ethnic Food concepts.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:35 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,283,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
Honestly if you want good "Unique" BBQ you kind of have to go outside austin to LockHart, Llano, ..
Old data. There are three places in Austin better than anything in Lockhart, and many more as good. Only been that way in about the last three years. Now, if you want the open pit style of Cooper's - yes, you have to go there.

It is also ridiculous to compare a metro of 1.8M to LA or San Francisco. For our size, we punch well above our weight. Would you rather eat here, or Norfolk? Indianapolis? Columbus? I know the answer, and it is Austin.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM

847 posts, read 767,649 times
Quote:
It is also ridiculous to compare a metro of 1.8M to LA or San Francisco. For our size, we punch well above our weight. Would you rather eat here, or Norfolk? Indianapolis? Columbus? I know the answer, and it is Austin.
Yes and No.
Austin does very well for the size of the Metro.

but most people who boast about our beloved city of Austin do not quality what league they are talking about.

I would kind of Consider Greater LA, Greater San Jose, Greater SF, Seattle, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Miami in division 1 of food.

Yes cities like Austin, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Orlando, ... would be considered division 2 and Austin would do very will compared to cities of it's weight class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin