Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
If you are really old, it is 19th Street. And will ALWAYS be Town Lake.
And if you're really, really old, it is Magnolia Avenue.

Town Lake was "the rivah"

(And 1st Street was Water Street.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
(And 1st Street was Water Street.)
I doubt anyone reading this is that old.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM

also,
If you attended the Doritos/Gaga vomit-art event you got exactly what you ordered.

There's plenty of other stuff on the menu.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times
**** all the haters. Not everyone can afford to go to concerts and sxsw is the perfect opportunity to do it for free. I for one did a challenge to get into gaga's show and im so glad that I had the opportunity to see her in an intimate show up close. Screw all the elitists complaining about the corporate sponsors. I suggest they open their eyes and realize that this whole city is one big corporate hellhole.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:11 PM

. . . Not everyone can afford to go to concerts and sxsw is the perfect opportunity to do it for free

glad you got what you ordered.

See? Something for everyone!

Old 03-19-2014, 03:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
If you are really old, it is 19th Street. And will ALWAYS be Town Lake.
And Cesar Chavez will always be 1st Street.

I read the article. I might disagree with him on a couple of points, but you know what? He's got some very good ones, as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Default HONK!TX starts Thursday

This festival is four years old and it is very non-corporate.

Four days of big brass marching bands from everywhere.
Home | HONK!TX 2014 - Festival of Community Street Bands | March 21-23, 2014

It's super fun!

I'm gonna catch it on Saturday when it comes to the North Campus area.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:03 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
I thought it was a fair piece.

I especially agree with ...
Quote:
I have a small amount of faith that South by Southwest will roll back the branded concert crap. They’ve been mocked enough by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Los Angeles Times to understand that brazen corporate pandering at that level may bring short-term cashfalls, but will probably be bad for business in the long-term. Sponsorship works best here if it’s a subtle brush, or at least an intelligent one.
Not the NYC, LA or WSJ are credible mockers, but the observations in those articles were fair enough also. Don't shoot the messenger.

Nobody has said this, but I wonder if Lady Gaga wasn't up to something, introducing copious amounts of "barf" to a Doritos sponsored show. I wonder if there wasn't a backhanded, artistic message there. Maybe she took the money and was being cagey in how she sells out to a corp gig.

Steve

Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

nobody has said this, but i wonder if lady gaga wasn't up to something, introducing copious amounts of "barf" to a doritos sponsored show. I wonder if there wasn't a backhanded, artistic message there. Maybe she took the money and was being cagey in how she sells out to a corp gig.
+2

Old 03-19-2014, 04:39 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Actually, I really agreed with this part:

Quote:
I find myself wishing for a return to the time when beer and backyards, not expensive branded showcases, marked this city’s signature festival, a simpler time, a less-discovered time. A time when people didn’t die at South by.
Bigger isn't better. Besides, the music industry SXSW was started for, doesn't exist anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Nobody has said this, but I wonder if Lady Gaga wasn't up to something, introducing copious amounts of "barf" to a Doritos sponsored show. I wonder if there wasn't a backhanded, artistic message there. Maybe she took the money and was being cagey in how she sells out to a corp gig.
It is the height of irony for non-musician Lady Gaga to be promoted by non-food Doritos. Match made in heaven. Branding in the total absence of substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin