Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
One place we wound up going to was La Condesa, downtown for lunch. "Interior Mexican" food? My friend from Mexico was not impressed, nor was I.
I've never felt like I had to go back to La Condesa either. When you come back, and you want that style, try either one of our tops, Fonda San Migeul, or our new gem, El Naranjo on Rainey. Top notch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,009 times
Who gives a damn how good a "business man" Aaron Franklin is? There are plenty of other well-run businesses with no lines that are convenient that serve up mediocre barbecue for you to go to. I go for quality. Period.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:51 AM

440 posts, read 714,870 times
Isn't this all horses for courses?

Salty Sow is excellent for example, and I can tell very high quality, but I can't eat much due to a medically necessary diet. East Side is consistently fine and having great iced tea can make up for a lot of other shortcomings - which they generally don't have. I love the atmosphere at Kerbey and Magnolia - breakfast all day that isn't Denny's is great in my book.

Of course, I still haven't replaced Seis Salsas as my favorite ever Mexican food restaurant. Nothing's even close. But Chez Nous is still open. Mad Dog and Beans with its Porky's Demise bacon cheeseburger... distant memories replaced by a two-story building with a Starbucks. Still, we are spoilt for choice. Just try to go to baby Austin (Marfa) and get a bite to eat.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
PTerry's: overrated

Lenoir: I didn't like it but only went once. Maybe I'll give them another shot.

Screw Franklin's. We tried to order a month in advance and were turned away. I left NY to get away from places with policies/practices like that. Yeah ok, waiting on a 3-hr. line is part of the "experience." No thanks.

Jack Allen's is just ok.
Who makes special claims for P Terry's? It is a nice casual and cheap burger place. I like it, but I'd hardly say it has any hype to stand up to.

What exactly do you think Franklin's policy should be? It is not a big business. It became famous in a hurry. They can only cook so much food in a day. They didn't create the line. It formed because of crowds. Hopefully they can expand without losing quality.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
There's a reason there isn't a line at Schmidt's, and there is at Franklin's. And it isn't because, in your opinion, Aaron is a lousy businessman.
There was a line at Schmidt's in Bee Cave shortly after they opened. Not any more. I like the building and atmosphere. But their brisket had good flavor but was dry, the sausage the mushiest (not firmly packed in the casing) and worst I have ever eaten at a BBQ place. I am told that is how that style of sausage is supposed to be. So maybe they do it great. But it isn't for me.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I've never felt like I had to go back to La Condesa either. When you come back, and you want that style, try either one of our tops, Fonda San Migeul, or our new gem, El Naranjo on Rainey. Top notch.
I like the food at La Condesa, but that smug downtown attitude (aren't you glad we let you eat here?) by the staff is a turnoff. Similar to the service at Second Bar.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 AM

259 posts, read 350,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Who makes special claims for P Terry's? It is a nice casual and cheap burger place. I like it, but I'd hardly say it has any hype to stand up to.

What exactly do you think Franklin's policy should be? It is not a big business. It became famous in a hurry. They can only cook so much food in a day. They didn't create the line. It formed because of crowds. Hopefully they can expand without losing quality.
Agreed. I dont hear much "hype" about P.Terry's, however, it is a pretty good burger for the price. To me, it's just as good as (or better than) Five Guys, Elevation Burger, Mighty Fine Burger, etc and it costs me about as much as a meal at McDonalds.

As far as Franklin's goes, I didn't think it was overly impressive. Sure, it was good BBQ, but it wasn't worth the wait. I would never go back and wait for it again, i'd rather just go to Rudy's.

At Hopdoddy's the line and drink service felt like part of the experience (and the line wasn't that long), but at Franklin's it just felt like a pain in the a**.

In my opinion, if Franklin's can't expand to more locations or pump out more BBQ, they should just up the price. They make more money, which will hopefully lead to more locations. As the price increases, the demand will decrease and the lines will start to become reasonable.

I'm betting the reason that they don't do either of those things, is because they like having the lines there. It makes people drive by and think "Ooo. That place must be amazing." Most people seem to go into there having pre-determined that it's going be really good, even if it really isnt. The lines also create a lot of media attention for them.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampac66 View Post
In my opinion, if Franklin's can't expand to more locations or pump out more BBQ, they should just up the price. They make more money, which will hopefully lead to more locations. As the price increases, the demand will decrease and the lines will start to become reasonable.

I'm betting the reason that they don't do either of those things, is because they like having the lines there. It makes people drive by and think "Ooo. That place must be amazing." Most people seem to go into there having pre-determined that it's going be really good, even if it really isnt. The lines also create a lot of media attention for them.
I'm betting you are wrong. Aaron has already said there won't be another location. My inner Adam Smith appreciates the "efficient markets" approach. I think I know him well enough to know he'd see that as gouging people.

I've put his brisket up head to head blind against four of the best in the state - five people in the test, all experienced barbeque snobs. I was the only one who knew which was which. Unanimous choice his was the best of the five.

And it wasn't because we all were mesmerized by the line - because there wasn't any.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:06 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,532,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There was a line at Schmidt's in Bee Cave shortly after they opened. Not any more. I like the building and atmosphere. But their brisket had good flavor but was dry, the sausage the mushiest (not firmly packed in the casing) and worst I have ever eaten at a BBQ place. I am told that is how that style of sausage is supposed to be. So maybe they do it great. But it isn't for me.
My objection to Schmidt's is that it is not as good as the namesake would demand. The place is too new, too sterile. Good BBQ needs a seasoned pit that should be well aged like a wine in an oak barrel. Give it time, and it should come along. Smitty's and Kreutz in Lockhart are of better quality, and are cheaper.

To answer the original poster, the most overrated place in town is In-and-Out Burger. Guero's is a close runner up.

Last edited by sojourner77; 05-15-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 02:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampac66 View Post
Agreed. As the price increases, the demand will decrease and the lines will start to become reasonable.
Reminds me of the Myrtle Beach golf course that raised its fees significantly in order to reduce the amount of play. That following spring and summer were their busiest in history!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin