Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 07:27 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,139,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
You wrote in a post higher in the thread that the north burbs have more amenities than the south burbs.

I was just curious what type of amenities you meant...South Austin has an Alamo Draft House and is close enough to Barton Creek Mall. You are correct that there is no IKEA in South Austin and the closest outlet malls are in San Marcos and Round Rock.
I think the north is stretched too far now and so south is the better value. With growth will come duplication of amenities (like costco, whole foods, alamo drafthouse). Im considering north to be north of the university and south to be south of 71

But right now the concentration of population is north so there are more of the one off businesses up north. And more choices for the businesses that exist north and south.

If you are just talking retail - I just picked a smattering in a variety of categories.

top golf
ipic
all the domain stores (tiffany, gucci, etc)
ifly
frys
3 alamo draft houses
trader joes
multiple whole foods
multiple costcos
REI
main event/dave and busters
k-1 speed - best go karts in austin
z-gallerie, louis shanks, jw interiors
ice skating rinks
austin ice bats
round rock express

din ho and asia cafe (best chinese in austin)
chinatown - best dimsum
louisiana longhorn, stuft sams boat, papadeaux - best cajun in austin
italian - saccones, reales, andiamo (best italian in austin)
best asian supermarket - mt supermarket/chinatown center
eddie vs, ztejas (2),

other services
3 drivers license offices
metro rail
many of the best mountain bike trails in austin are all north (except greenbelt)
thinkery childrens museum
proximity to the main basin of lake travis and all the parks on lake travis
more employers are north so shorter commutes
balcones canyonland preserve parks are huge

Last edited by Austin97; 05-14-2014 at 07:56 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting
Kidding aside I think you are painting a picture of the issues surrounding corporate America, money, career, work life balance and such...I don't think there really is anywhere left untouched in the lower 48 that you would want to live that isn't going to have the "instagram, hip, competitive rat race" it's where we are as a culture right now.

Give it 5 years, it'll either be better, the same or worse.
I think this may be my biggest fear.

I think this may be my biggest fear.

I disagree with east coasting. Montana, utah, idaho, wyoming etc are pretty much empty of people. There are many areas with no infrastructure (including electricity) where people live a simple lifestyle.

When cities grow they change. As Ive said before those who are resisting change are just old, holding onto the past. New orleans has the tourist area which has maintained its character, but it is like disneyland, artificial. Most of new orleans has changed. Just like every city changes as more people come.

I want more and better museums in austin, the people that dont want change probably say "we should be happy with the museums we already have, why do we need world class museums, we dont want to be like other big cities".

Personally I would rather have hands on museums like the thinkery. that *would* be unique. Museums are often pretentious and an austin style museum would be more hands on.

The people who are old and resisting change now dont recognize that they were part of the problem 30 years ago, when the 70 year olds in the 70's and 80's were complaining about the slackers and burnouts. And the 70 year olds in the 70's and 80's were part of the problem in the 50's. Stevie ray vaughn, willie nelson etc *were* the problem to people that grew up in an era without rock and roll and country music and a culture of drugs and slackers.

Last edited by Austin97; 05-14-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:43 AM

440 posts, read 715,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I had always hoped there wouldn't be a tipping point when the unpretentiousness I loved about living here would disappear. Comfortable as a pair of old jeans. However, after being here for 30 plus years, I believe that it is pretty much gone. I agree that's not just an Austin thing though...I think that's just the prevailing lifestyle for people of a certain age and education level these days.
You may be right there - I definitely prefer being around older people - as in over 50. I think I have one of the only kids who rarely checks FB and doesn't take selfies despite having a Galaxy S4 courtesy of her other parent.

I'd disclose where to go not too far from Austin to get a bit of nostalgic vibe but I am not doing it except word-of-mouth. You can go to some of the most dowdy, dated towns around here and find that (gasp) their restaurant menus have updated, they have brewpubs, but the dance hall complete with kids dancing with their parents is still very much alive.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The people who are old and resisting change now dont recognize that they were part of the problem 30 years ago, when the 70 year olds in the 70's and 80's were complaining about the slackers and burnouts. And the 70 year olds in the 70's and 80's were part of the problem in the 50's. Stevie ray vaughn, willie nelson etc *were* the problem to people that grew up in an era without rock and roll and country music and a culture of drugs and slackers.
Well, in my case you'd be wrong. I wasn't a slacker or a burnout - I was studious and went on to become an engineer. But that didn't change me into a materialistic narcissist. In fact, I was amused at how ordinary I seemed. Went to look at cars in the early 90s and the guy said he'd call me back with a quote because he was too busy. I said fine and gave my number. Suddenly the dude had all the time in the world because my phone exchange was 328. "How long have you lived in Westlake?" he fawned. Uh yeah, dude. Not doing business with you.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,318,308 times
Quote:
I disagree with east coasting. Montana, utah, idaho, wyoming etc are pretty much empty of people. There are many areas with no infrastructure (including electricity) where people live a simple lifestyle.
All true.

However I think the OP is looking for a smaller city not a rural outpost.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
Well, in my case you'd be wrong. I wasn't a slacker or a burnout - I was studious and went on to become an engineer. But that didn't change me into a materialistic narcissist. In fact, I was amused at how ordinary I seemed. Went to look at cars in the early 90s and the guy said he'd call me back with a quote because he was too busy. I said fine and gave my number. Suddenly the dude had all the time in the world because my phone exchange was 328. "How long have you lived in Westlake?" he fawned. Uh yeah, dude. Not doing business with you.
that is a huge straw man and not what I said at all. What I did say was that every generation complains about the change. And that the institutions that people are complaining about losing that are "real" austin were invented when they were growing up. The people that were old when they were young complained about those same institutions as losing the "real" austin.

There is no "real" austin except what exists right now.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,283,296 times
Quote:
The people that were old when they were young complained about those same institutions as losing the "real" austin.
And you would know this how?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
When you don't love where you live anymore then it's time to move.
Complaining won't bring back the good ole days; they are gone forever.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
that is a huge straw man and not what I said at all. What I did say was that every generation complains about the change. And that the institutions that people are complaining about losing that are "real" austin were invented when they were growing up. The people that were old when they were young complained about those same institutions as losing the "real" austin.
I've been visiting here since I was born in the 60s - relatives here. Amy's Ice Cream and SXSW started up about the same time I moved here for good. There was a competitor upstart Steve's Ice Cream but he fizzled out.

Even at all of 18 I understood why the oldtimers mourned the loss of the Armadillo World Headquarters.

Here's a pivotal difference of old versus new Austin:

* up until 10 years ago, you let strangers crash at your place during SXSW *without charging rent*. This was considered cool and a way to allow more people access to the music.

* now, people nearly always charge for guests (I still don't) and many, including myself, flee the city - not because we don't like the music, but because it's no longer about the music.

Your reality is the totality of your life and may or may not be that of others, but facts like the above are facts. The only reason that people CAN charge and some feel justified in charging is the huge change in housing costs.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:08 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,318,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
I've been visiting here since I was born in the 60s - relatives here. Amy's Ice Cream and SXSW started up about the same time I moved here for good. There was a competitor upstart Steve's Ice Cream but he fizzled out.

Even at all of 18 I understood why the oldtimers mourned the loss of the Armadillo World Headquarters.

Here's a pivotal difference of old versus new Austin:

* up until 10 years ago, you let strangers crash at your place during SXSW *without charging rent*. This was considered cool and a way to allow more people access to the music.

* now, people nearly always charge for guests (I still don't) and many, including myself, flee the city - not because we don't like the music, but because it's no longer about the music.

Your reality is the totality of your life and may or may not be that of others, but facts like the above are facts. The only reason that people CAN charge and some feel justified in charging is the huge change in housing costs.
How would you possibly know if everyone is charging for couch surfing for SXSW?

You can't know. There is a whole world of 18-25 year olds out there who are largely invisible to you as much as you are invisible to them.

I can guarantee you that there are loads of young un's who have friends stacked like cord wood when its time for SXSW because that is the way of youth.

There is an entire hidden world of employment, music, art social structure, romance, food, communication, travel, etc...that we are not part of. When you were a young adult you were part of such a group whether you knew it or not.

I would bet that any young hipsterita worth her salt can tell a boatload about a hipsterfella as soon as he walks thru the door just by the cut, length and directional brushing of his beard. You and I see a kid trying to look like Grizzly Adams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin